PDA

View Full Version : Why does Federer shake the Umpire's hand first even if he has won?

2slik
04-08-2010, 11:32 PM
I have always wondered this. He does this a lot and has been doing it for ages.

jamesblakefan#1
04-08-2010, 11:32 PM
ArroganceArroganceArroganceArroganceArrogance

2slik
04-08-2010, 11:42 PM
ArroganceArroganceArroganceArroganceArrogance

I thought this would be the case

But he doesn't do it when he looses to Nadal or sometimes Nalbandian, Djokovic, Murray and JMDP

How does the psychology of this work by shaking the Umpire's hand first?

I wanna know

Carsomyr
04-08-2010, 11:49 PM
I thought this would be the case

But he doesn't do it when he looses to Nadal or sometimes Nalbandian, Djokovic, Murray and JMDP

How does the psychology of this work by shaking the Umpire's hand first?

I wanna know

Every time he wins, he almost always signals the other player to shake the umpire's hand first.

volleynets
04-09-2010, 12:00 AM
what? I think he almost never shakes first.

The funny thing was when he was playing Nadal in Madrid. Nadal usually gets up after his opponent after a changeover but Federer just kept sitting there. Nadal finally got up first lol. Federer said in the interview that he noticed Nadal did that so he just kept sitting to see if Nadal would get up lol.

rovex
04-09-2010, 12:04 AM
He shook first here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6eK8r9lRt0

valiant
04-09-2010, 12:32 AM

The funny thing was when he was playing Nadal in Madrid. Nadal usually gets up after his opponent after a changeover but Federer just kept sitting there. Nadal finally got up first lol. Federer said in the interview that he noticed Nadal did that so he just kept sitting to see if Nadal would get up lol.

I wanna see this :)

Young Pete
04-09-2010, 01:23 AM
he shakes first to get out of there faster and sooner.

enough said.

LameTennisPlayer
04-09-2010, 04:31 AM
most of the time he waits for opponent

Ambivalent
04-09-2010, 05:02 AM
He shook first here:

See my sig for a better version of that video.

film1
04-09-2010, 05:13 AM
I think most any umpire would tell you it does not matter, as long as they have the common courtesy to shake hands.
We have all seen players refuse to shake umpires hands after abusing the chair several times during a match.
What I would like to see is an Umpire refuse to shake a players hand after being abused during a match, that would be great.

I think players often have legitimate complaints about calls but most players have been wrong multiple times about calls that were not even close.

DRII
04-09-2010, 06:54 AM
I never noticed Federer doing this. I have noticed Venus doing it, and she is still my favorite!

tacou
04-09-2010, 08:02 AM
I've seen many players do this. I assumed the tradition was loser first but I've honestly seen so many different players do it different ways, including players not shaking at all even if there'd been no controversy. no biggie to me

Ocean Drive
04-09-2010, 08:15 AM
There is no routine when shaking hands, a lot of players wave on his opponent to shake first or whatever, it makes no difference.

GasquetGOAT
04-09-2010, 08:15 AM
He shook first here:

He shook last here:;);)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbj5PcwO3T4

P_Agony
04-09-2010, 08:20 AM
I have always wondered this. He does this a lot and has been doing it for ages.

Just today I wondered the same thing, although I'm pretty sure I've seen him a few times invite the opponent to shake the umpire's hand first.

swordtennis
04-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Because he is an arrogant overrated clown. Nowhere near goat.
He does this becuase he is a no skill overrated arrogant POS. He is nowhere near the class of Lendl, Laver, Borg, Sampras or any other players that have won at least 2 GS's.
He does not deserve 2 carry their Jock straps.
He would maybe get 1 win off these master skillset champions.
Federer? Pfffft.
Washed up skinny old non-goat. No backhand. He has nothing.
This era is a bunch of nothings.

Commando Tennis Shorts
04-09-2010, 08:23 AM
The bigger question is, who cares?

Djokovicfan4life
04-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Why does Radio Shack ask for your phone number when you buy batteries?

I don't know.

tennisdad65
04-09-2010, 08:25 AM
He does not want to get '2nd hand' germs from guys picking their butts, noses etc and shaking the ump's hand before him.

ps. I would never shake nadal's hand, or even the ump's if nadal shook hands with the ump before I did.

Fee
04-09-2010, 11:03 AM
There is no routine when shaking hands, a lot of players wave on his opponent to shake first or whatever, it makes no difference.

Quoted for truth, in the hopes that people who don't actually read threads before they comment will see it.

There is no rule or even tradition about who shakes the umpire's hand first. Sometimes the guy who loses is moving so fast to get out of there that he does it, sometimes one player will wave the other player forward, sometimes they'll both try to do it at the same time.

Now, how many more posts before this turns into a Fed vs Nadal thread?

skyzoo
04-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Quoted for truth, in the hopes that people who don't actually read threads before they comment will see it.

There is no rule or even tradition about who shakes the umpire's hand first. Sometimes the guy who loses is moving so fast to get out of there that he does it, sometimes one player will wave the other player forward, sometimes they'll both try to do it at the same time.

Now, how many more posts before this turns into a Fed vs Nadal thread?

Vamos, Nadal would never ruin tradition unlike The Meister.

tenniskid567
04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
The bigger question is, who cares?

Exactly what I was thinking...its a freakin hand shake at the end of a tennis match, its like all of .5 seconds long. Big deal. I think they should fist bump instead.

Sephiroth619
04-09-2010, 03:35 PM
I've seen a lot of Federer matches and not once have I seen him not shake the player's hands first.

mcutilize
04-09-2010, 10:54 PM
i would think it would be more polite to give your opponent no matter the result to let them shake first. i think of it like opening a door for someone, you let them go first

PCXL-Fan
04-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Roger has the mentality of a gentleman. As such he follows the rule 'ladies first'.

AJK1
04-09-2010, 11:04 PM
The OP needs to get a life :cry:

IvanAndreevich
04-09-2010, 11:23 PM
People are really running out of things to discuss.

dirtballer
04-10-2010, 03:54 AM
Prior to the early 1980s nobody shook the umpire's hand. You simply acknowledged the umpire by lifting your racket as you passed. You don't shake the umpire's hand in other sports. Why in tennis? If the umpire were an unpaid volunteer I could see it as a way of thanking him for his time and effort. I can't see it though for a paid professional who is merely doing his job.

mozzer
04-10-2010, 04:27 AM
i would think it would be more polite to give your opponent no matter the result to let them shake first. i think of it like opening a door for someone, you let them go first
Then no one would ever shake the ump's hand!

15_ounce
04-10-2010, 05:32 AM
Why does Radio Shack ask for your phone number when you buy batteries?

I don't know.

Haha, we don't have Radio Shack here in OZ. But in Rebel Sport shops, they used to ask me my postcode!! Every time!

Sentinel
04-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Sentinel thinks that Nadal should give Federer some basic lessons in humility and court-esy.

Augustus
04-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Why doesn't Federer wear sunglasses?

I think there should be a thread about this fascinating subject...

Gorecki
04-10-2010, 06:43 AM
why is Federer named Roger? and Why is Nadal also Parera?

seems to me they both very good at being themselves... best generation ever at being themselves...

Augustus
04-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Even more interesting, why do these two guys keep hitting small yellow balls with strange sticks in their hands?

Don't they have to work?

OrangeOne
04-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Prior to the early 1980s nobody shook the umpire's hand. You simply acknowledged the umpire by lifting your racket as you passed. You don't shake the umpire's hand in other sports. Why in tennis? If the umpire were an unpaid volunteer I could see it as a way of thanking him for his time and effort. I can't see it though for a paid professional who is merely doing his job.

Technically, and in the same logic, both of the players are just paid professionals who are merely doing their jobs too! I haven't watched closely enough at the team-pro level, but I can say at the amateur level, whenever I've played a team sport at least the captain, if not the whole team, will shake the ref's / umps hand.

Haha, we don't have Radio Shack here in OZ. But in Rebel Sport shops, they used to ask me my postcode!! Every time!

Actually not quite true, we did have it / sort-of still do, 'tandy' stores, from my understanding, are our equivalent (much less prominent than they used to be, overtaken by jaycar and dick smith). I've definitely bought radio shack products from tandy stores many moons ago.

As for rebel - for sure, postcodes are always captured. Obviously they just want to know how far people travel & from where, would be invaluable advice in choosing where to open the next rebel....

Sentinel
04-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Roger has got so used to losing in the past year or so, that he instinctively shakes hands first.

angiebaby
04-10-2010, 10:20 AM

That's hilarious. :lol::grin:

woodrow1029
04-10-2010, 10:48 PM
I think most any umpire would tell you it does not matter, as long as they have the common courtesy to shake hands.
We have all seen players refuse to shake umpires hands after abusing the chair several times during a match.
What I would like to see is an Umpire refuse to shake a players hand after being abused during a match, that would be great.

I think players often have legitimate complaints about calls but most players have been wrong multiple times about calls that were not even close.
I have seen one umpire refuse to shake hands. I have come very close on 2 occasions to refusing to shake a player's hand after a match, but fortunately, the player had the same feeling, so he didn't shake mine. :-)

genius24
04-10-2010, 10:55 PM
i've seen many matches where federer shaked the umpires hand second as well.

Agassifan
04-11-2010, 12:19 AM
because he is roger ****ing federer and everyone else isn't. when you have twice the slams (almost) as the rest of tour, why not...

Sentinel
04-11-2010, 01:49 AM
because he is roger ****ing federer and everyone else isn't. when you have twice the slams (almost) as the rest of tour, why not...
:):)

Roger ____ing Federer has shaken the whole ________ world, what's the big _____ deal about shakin' a _____ hand first.

Carsomyr
04-11-2010, 01:59 AM
I have seen one umpire refuse to shake hands. I have come very close on 2 occasions to refusing to shake a player's hand after a match, but fortunately, the player had the same feeling, so he didn't shake mine. :-)

While I'm sure naming names would be a breach of trust, can you at least elaborate on the details concerning the three incidents? I would be very interested in hearing these tales.

:)