PDA

View Full Version : Doubles to singles

lendl lives
02-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Hi everyone,

Coming back to tennis I started on doulbes and am now playing more singles. One thing I've noticed is that I'm playing really bad singles. I revert to just trying to get the ball back and get all tensed up instead of going for my shots. Players that I should be 0-1. I'm beating 5-4 etc. I've noticed a big weakness is return of serve. I think playing doubles has not given me enough practcie serving and returning serve. Any advice or at least consolation would be appreciated!

tennisdad
02-23-2004, 10:07 AM
I've gone thru something similar and what I've done is change the singles to dubs mix. That is, I prefer to play singles, so I simply play more singles and pass on the dubs. It's a different game and different rythym.... I said the same to my wife who was complaining that she can't play singles .... thing is 70% of the time she plays doubles.

It sounded too simple to me at first, but now I really believe it.... now I only play dubs to work on my net game (non-league) and that is about 10% of my matches. I think it's important to point out that I prefer a baseline, to all-court game.

lendl lives
02-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Yeah where I play its almost always dubles. Since coming back to tennis, late October, I've played probably about 10-15 singles sets. On thing I think I freez up because there's more options. In double you almost always go cross court. Hence my down the line shots need work....