PDA

View Full Version : Atomic AF Graphite

Dino Lagaffe
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM
I got an Atomic AF Graphite in the mail today. I'll add specs and pictures later. It says "20% carbon fibres" and "Made in Belgium" on one side. About the Belgium part, was it made by Snauwaert?

Cheers,
Dino

dje31
04-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Is that the same Atomic that makes snow skis? Snauwaert would make sense, though I thought in present day, Atomic is now owned by the same folks who own Wilson.

Dino Lagaffe
04-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Is that the same Atomic that makes snow skis? Snauwaert would make sense, though I thought in present day, Atomic is now owned by the same folks who own Wilson.

Yes, same company I assume. A list of ski/racquet companies I know of (Some of them may now be separate companies):

Völkl
Rossignol
Head
Fischer
K2

Kneissl
Hexcel

Any others?

Roy Hobbs
04-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Yes, same company I assume. A list of ski/racquet companies I know of (Some of them may now be separate companies):

Völkl
Rossignol
Head
Fischer
K2

Any others?

Another is Kneissl.

Dino Lagaffe
04-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Another is Kneissl.

Yes, of course. Thanks.

retrowagen
04-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Hexcel made a very small attempt to make a composite tennis racquet, after some success from their skis.

Dino Lagaffe
04-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Hexcel made a very small attempt to make a composite tennis racquet, after some success from their skis.

Hexcel began supplying tennis racket manufacturers with composite materials in the late 1970’s. The Dunlop Maxply Fort was one of the early rackets to increase the power potential by blending glass fibre and carbon fibre composites with wood. Today’s all-carbon and carbon/titanium rackets are powerful and lightweight, with a sweet spot area over 50% larger than with wood rackets. The carbon fibre also dampens vibration on impact with the ball to provide excellent manoeuvrability and ball control. Hexcel is the major supplier of carbon fibre prepreg tape to HEAD, with an epoxy system that cures in only 11 minutes at 140°C.

http://www.hexcel.com/Markets/Recreation/Summer+Sports/

When I woke up this morning I didn't know I would learn this during the course of the day, thanks to TW... :)

Dino Lagaffe
04-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Did Elan ever make racquets?

mad dog1
04-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Did Elan ever make racquets?

i don't recall elan ever making racquets.

Dino Lagaffe
04-10-2010, 02:54 PM

It's funny that Hexcel provides the composite materials for Atomic skis. This thread has gone full circle...

Dino Lagaffe
04-10-2010, 05:32 PM
i don't recall elan ever making racquets.

Me neither, but I figured they could have.