PDA

View Full Version : Nadal Heading to Monte Carlo

OddJack
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhjGFr7eyw

Translation:

Monte carlo starts this year’s clay season, and it is the moment to verify if the feelings and good image left by Nadal in the last hard court tournaments can turn into his opportunity now.

To begin with, Rafa assures us that he’s coming in to this tournament in much better shape than in previous years…

nadal:”It’s not like last year where I was in the semifinals and once I was there I could’ve easily lost due to some issues here and there.
No, this year I’ve made it to the last rounds of the tournaments and I haven’t won due to some small details and simply I just have to continue like this and it’s logical that sooner than later I’ll end up winning if I continue playing like this.”

"Small details" Well he sounds confident. I dont know that loss to Roddick was small detail though, sure didnt look like it sitting on the bench

Rhino
04-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Well the clay at MC is absolutely Rafa's best surface so if he can't win there i would say that 'small details' = 'big problems'.

dcdoorknob
04-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Small details, huh?

that's so arrogant.

*ducks out of the way*

OddJack
04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Nice Rodge Clay Vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ho-k38tVX0

Another good one from AO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG2nRuGYVSE

Sephiroth619
04-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Nice Rodge Clay Vid:

Wow. First time seeing that. What an excellent vid.

Rhino
04-09-2010, 07:34 PM
Nice Rodge Clay Vid:

Brilliant video. also, great way to turn this into a Roger Federer thread, who won't even be at MC. :)

OddJack
04-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Is Djoker going to be there?

Cup8489
04-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Brilliant video. also, great way to turn this into a Roger Federer thread, who won't even be at MC. :)

I think he's trying to imply that Nadal isn't as important at RG anymore as this 'Roger Federer' character.

How arrogant of Federer to have a video about his FO title.

Rhino
04-09-2010, 07:46 PM

Yeah, and it's a given that Federer edited this video together himself and uploaded it.

OddJack
04-09-2010, 07:48 PM

I think he's trying to imply that Nadal isn't as important at RG anymore as this 'Roger Federer' character.

Oh comon guys, not trying to imply or "turn this into" anyting,

saw something and shared, that's all, dont over analyse.

OddJack
04-09-2010, 07:53 PM
If joker is there chances are he will take him out this time. The draw will be out in few hours.

OddJack
04-09-2010, 07:59 PM
The stakes are highest for Rafael Nadal in Monte Carlo

FOR the last five years in Monte Carlo, the city of high rollers, Rafael Nadal has held all the aces but the stakes have never been higher as the clay court colossus bids to make it six of the best.

WATERSHED MOMENT: Rafael Nadal will begin the clay court season with the watching world desperate to see if he can return to his best (Getty Images)

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/files/morethanthegames/nadalnewyork2.jpg

Nadal will arrive in Monaco for the start of the clay court season this weekend on the back of 13 tournaments without a trophy - a losing streak that would bankrupt even those with the deepest pockets.

The 24-year-old has been in decline since Robin Soderling unceremoniously sent him packing from his beloved Roland Garros last year and his weakened knees and bruised ego have yet to fully recover.

Nadal's knee problems have been well-documented. Tendinitis in both ensured the Spaniard could not defend his Wimbledon crown last summer while for the remainder of last season Nadal was effectively running on empty.

A winter break saw a leaner Nadal return to the court in 2010. The biceps were not as bulging and while he insisted otherwise, the mighty Majorcan did not pack as menacing a punch as he once did.

No doubt in a bid to alleviate the strain on his knees, Nadal was notably streamlined but as a side effect, did not strike fear into his opponents as he did when ruling the roost from August 2008 to last July.

Flashes of the form that saw him usurp Roger Federer as tennis' deity have been evident this season, but all too infrequent. His failure to win a trophy since last May demonstrates his decline into the mortal ranks.

And in his most recent grand slam appearance, Nadal was brought to his knees by eventual finalist Andy Murray at the Australian Open. The noises being made by Nadal remain positive however.

DOWN AND OUT: Rafael Nadal's knee troubles return as he loses to Andy Murray at the Australian Open earlier this year (Getty Images)

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/files/morethanthegames/girafaelnadaloutofaussieopen.jpg

"I am playing well," said Nadal. "I had very good matches in these two tournaments in Miami and Indian Wells.

"I think I am ready to play my best. I'm just going to try my best in Monte Carlo now.

"Physically, I'm on good form. I no longer worry about my knee. I'm not scared of running hard. I think that my forehand is back to doing damage."

But the current world number three must act soon - Argentine powerhouse Juan Martin Del Potro and Murray to name just two - are threatening to exile Nadal from tennis' top table for good.

Nadal, however, will head to Monte Carlo hoping for a reversal of fortunes and the odds are favourable.

He has lifted the trophy on his last five visits to Monaco, has a total of 25 tournament victories on clay and until Soderling blew him off court last season has been invincible at the French Open since 2005.

Clay will also be kinder on his knees than the unforgiving hard courts which have hitherto been the ATP battlegrounds this season.

But Nadal is not the only one with something to prove in Monte Carlo. Murray began the clay court season last year riding the crest of a wave, having just won the Miami Masters but the Scot floundered in Florida this time around and was shown the door by Mardy Fish.

The world number four has never cut the mustard on clay but he arrives back in Europe only too aware he must arrest his recent woes and has tweaked his schedule to include a trip to Monaco.

Federer is the one big name conspicuous by his absence in Monte Carlo but the best of the rest will be throwing their hats into the ring.

As is his way, Nadal will compete at the other two clay-court 1000 Masters events in Rome and Madrid before resuming his love affair with Roland Garros in a shade over six weeks.

Conquering all will not be Nadal's number one priority but getting his hands back on the Coupe des Mousquetaires will be and whether he does or not will say a great deal about whether the Spaniard's recent decline is terminal.

The eyes of the watching world will therefore be on Nadal in Monte Carlo, desperate to see if clay can catalyse him back to his best.

It is not yet the last throw of the dice for Nadal in Monte Carlo but the Spaniard will arrive in Monaco as the one with the most to lose.

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/summer-sports/0910357-the-stakes-are-highest-rafael-nadal-monte-carlo

Pwned
04-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Well at least another tournament is starting. No Fed will be boring but its better than nothing. Hopefully some good matches.

Rhino
04-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Oh comon guys, not trying to imply or "turn this into" anyting,

saw something and shared, that's all, dont over analyse.

I know, just messin' around.

jamesblakefan#1
04-09-2010, 11:11 PM
OK so Nadal is playing...isn't that what tennis players do? I don't see why there needs to be a new thread every time Fed/Nadal decide to play a tourney. :? Especially since it's been long know that Nadal was playing MC, this isn't some surprise. Worthless thread IMO.

OddJack
04-09-2010, 11:25 PM
OK so Nadal is playing...isn't that what tennis players do? I don't see why there needs to be a new thread every time Fed/Nadal decide to play a tourney. :? Especially since it's been long know that Nadal was playing MC, this isn't some surprise. Worthless thread IMO.

I personally ignore the threads that I dislike or think are worthless, I suggest you do the same. You could go to the thread and talk about whether Federer shake hands first or last or just write about how much you miss Djocovic who played a month ago.

Having that said you seem to have missed the point. This was about his interview and what he said about the "small details" and also saying that he is completely fit and ending the rumors about his injured knee. Chances are you didnt even bother to read the thread. So why dont you take your worthless comments to where they belong and stop whining here

Rhino
04-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Nadal is very lucky.
If I had to pick five players that could possibly threaten him on clay - Federer, Soderling, Djokovic, Del Potro, and Davydenko - only one (Djokovic) is actually present in the MC draw.

(Soderling is out:http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08042010/58/soderling-monte-carlo.html)

Arvid
04-10-2010, 05:18 AM
The stakes are highest for Rafael Nadal in Monte Carlo

FOR the last five years in Monte Carlo, the city of high rollers, Rafael Nadal has held all the aces but the stakes have never been higher as the clay court colossus bids to make it six of the best.

WATERSHED MOMENT: Rafael Nadal will begin the clay court season with the watching world desperate to see if he can return to his best (Getty Images)

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/files/morethanthegames/nadalnewyork2.jpg

Nadal will arrive in Monaco for the start of the clay court season this weekend on the back of 13 tournaments without a trophy - a losing streak that would bankrupt even those with the deepest pockets.

The 24-year-old has been in decline since Robin Soderling unceremoniously sent him packing from his beloved Roland Garros last year and his weakened knees and bruised ego have yet to fully recover.

Nadal's knee problems have been well-documented. Tendinitis in both ensured the Spaniard could not defend his Wimbledon crown last summer while for the remainder of last season Nadal was effectively running on empty.

A winter break saw a leaner Nadal return to the court in 2010. The biceps were not as bulging and while he insisted otherwise, the mighty Majorcan did not pack as menacing a punch as he once did.

No doubt in a bid to alleviate the strain on his knees, Nadal was notably streamlined but as a side effect, did not strike fear into his opponents as he did when ruling the roost from August 2008 to last July.

Flashes of the form that saw him usurp Roger Federer as tennis' deity have been evident this season, but all too infrequent. His failure to win a trophy since last May demonstrates his decline into the mortal ranks.

And in his most recent grand slam appearance, Nadal was brought to his knees by eventual finalist Andy Murray at the Australian Open. The noises being made by Nadal remain positive however.

DOWN AND OUT: Rafael Nadal's knee troubles return as he loses to Andy Murray at the Australian Open earlier this year (Getty Images)

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/files/morethanthegames/girafaelnadaloutofaussieopen.jpg

"I am playing well," said Nadal. "I had very good matches in these two tournaments in Miami and Indian Wells.

"I think I am ready to play my best. I'm just going to try my best in Monte Carlo now.

"Physically, I'm on good form. I no longer worry about my knee. I'm not scared of running hard. I think that my forehand is back to doing damage."

But the current world number three must act soon - Argentine powerhouse Juan Martin Del Potro and Murray to name just two - are threatening to exile Nadal from tennis' top table for good.

Nadal, however, will head to Monte Carlo hoping for a reversal of fortunes and the odds are favourable.

He has lifted the trophy on his last five visits to Monaco, has a total of 25 tournament victories on clay and until Soderling blew him off court last season has been invincible at the French Open since 2005.

Clay will also be kinder on his knees than the unforgiving hard courts which have hitherto been the ATP battlegrounds this season.

But Nadal is not the only one with something to prove in Monte Carlo. Murray began the clay court season last year riding the crest of a wave, having just won the Miami Masters but the Scot floundered in Florida this time around and was shown the door by Mardy Fish.

The world number four has never cut the mustard on clay but he arrives back in Europe only too aware he must arrest his recent woes and has tweaked his schedule to include a trip to Monaco.

Federer is the one big name conspicuous by his absence in Monte Carlo but the best of the rest will be throwing their hats into the ring.

As is his way, Nadal will compete at the other two clay-court 1000 Masters events in Rome and Madrid before resuming his love affair with Roland Garros in a shade over six weeks.

Conquering all will not be Nadal's number one priority but getting his hands back on the Coupe des Mousquetaires will be and whether he does or not will say a great deal about whether the Spaniard's recent decline is terminal.

The eyes of the watching world will therefore be on Nadal in Monte Carlo, desperate to see if clay can catalyse him back to his best.

It is not yet the last throw of the dice for Nadal in Monte Carlo but the Spaniard will arrive in Monaco as the one with the most to lose.

http://www.morethanthegames.co.uk/summer-sports/0910357-the-stakes-are-highest-rafael-nadal-monte-carlo

I think theres a lot of fault in this. I have followed Nadal closely over the years, dont know how many will back me up on this, but i can say that i have never seen him hit the ball as well on hard courts as i think hes doing right now. I can imagine that has something to do with his change of strings, where as before he used to leave a lot of short balls begging to be put away he does leave very few this season. The reason for him not winning any tournaments is simply loss of confidense, winning breads winning and loosing as well. When he gets back on the win wagon and confident againg it will be very interesting to see what he can do, i think hes game is improved once again in certain areas. Another thing that is talked about is that he would have lost a lot of mucle mass....bolony. He says himself nothing has happened, personally i think its just a matter of what clothes hes wearing, one can really appear different depending on what t-shirt and such one is wearing, and now hes not using the sleeveles for example. An interesting couple of months coming up....

tacou
04-10-2010, 09:18 AM
does this mean Rafa is not playing Barcelona, or did they just omit that from his schedule?

angiebaby
04-10-2010, 09:31 AM
I think theres a lot of fault in this. I have followed Nadal closely over the years, dont know how many will back me up on this, but i can say that i have never seen him hit the ball as well on hard courts as i think hes doing right now. I can imagine that has something to do with his change of strings, where as before he used to leave a lot of short balls begging to be put away he does leave very few this season. The reason for him not winning any tournaments is simply loss of confidense, winning breads winning and loosing as well. When he gets back on the win wagon and confident againg it will be very interesting to see what he can do, i think hes game is improved once again in certain areas. Another thing that is talked about is that he would have lost a lot of mucle mass....bolony. He says himself nothing has happened, personally i think its just a matter of what clothes hes wearing, one can really appear different depending on what t-shirt and such one is wearing, and now hes not using the sleeveles for example. An interesting couple of months coming up....

I agree with most of this. I do think he's playing as well as he's ever played, at least on HC, and his two semis defeats was primarily Rafa just freezing while his opponents rocheted it up a gear. And I also agree his game has improved in certain areas, I think playing more doubles has helped him out somewhat.

The article makes a valid point, MC is going to be a big deal for Rafa but I do think it's overstating the overall significance of his performance at the tournament on the rest of his season. It would be worrying if he crashed out early, but it won't signal the beginning of the end of his career either.

dmt
04-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Nadal and Davydenko have played on clay 3 times with Nadal winning all three matches, and davydenko winning only ONE SET during these three matches. Since when did Davydenko become some sort of massive threat to Nadal on clay and how exactly is Nadal "lucky" that Denko isnt playing.

Nadal has dominated Federer on claycourts and really doesnt need to prove that he is a better clay courter. Federer isnt injured, he just doesnt want to play, so it isnt Nadals fault and he is not "lucky" either.

Spider
04-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Nadal - Murray semi finals should be a classic, I can't wait for that match. :)

Rhino
04-11-2010, 01:57 AM
Nadal and Davydenko have played on clay 3 times with Nadal winning all three matches, and davydenko winning only ONE SET during these three matches. Since when did Davydenko become some sort of massive threat to Nadal on clay and how exactly is Nadal "lucky" that Denko isnt playing.

Nadal has dominated Federer on claycourts and really doesnt need to prove that he is a better clay courter. Federer isnt injured, he just doesnt want to play, so it isnt Nadals fault and he is not "lucky" either.

A lot has happened since the last time Nadal met Davydenko on clay. 4 days after that match Nadal beat Soderling on clay 6-1 6-0, and how relevant did that result turn out to be?
Since the 16th of May Nadal has met Davydenko, Soderling, Federer, Djokovic, Murray, Roddick, Cilic and Del Potro a combined total of 14 times, and he has lost all 14 matches!
Davydenko meanwhile has beaten Nadal three times in a row and racked up no less than six titles (Hamburg, Umag, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai Masters 1000, London World Tour Finals, and Doha).

Nadal hasn't won a title in 11 months. I would say that he is pretty fortunate in Monte Carlo that Davydenko, Soderling, Federer and Del Potro will not be joining him in the draw. It gives him a chance to gain some much needed confidence and get back to his winning ways.

dmt
04-11-2010, 02:47 AM
A lot has happened since the last time Nadal met Davydenko on clay. 4 days after that match Nadal beat Soderling on clay 6-1 6-0, and how relevant did that result turn out to be?
Since the 16th of May Nadal has met Davydenko, Soderling, Federer, Djokovic, Murray, Roddick, Cilic and Del Potro a combined total of 14 times, and he has lost all 14 matches!
Davydenko meanwhile has beaten Nadal three times in a row and racked up no less than six titles (Hamburg, Umag, Kuala Lumpur, Shanghai Masters 1000, London World Tour Finals, and Doha).

Nadal hasn't won a title in 11 months. I would say that he is pretty fortunate in Monte Carlo that Davydenko, Soderling, Federer and Del Potro will not be joining him in the draw. It gives him a chance to gain some much needed confidence and get back to his winning ways.Hardcourts and claycourts are different surfaces. Even if Davydenko and Del Potro were to return in Monte Carlo, they havent played completeitive tennis in months and they were not going to return to form in just one tournament, it takes longer then that

If this is the case, then Federer was lucky that Nadal didnt play at wimbledon 09 because Nadal was the only active top 10 player that had beaten Federer there. But it wasnt Federers fault that Nadal didnt play, and it isnt Nadals fault that federer chose to skip MC. Neither is it Nadals fault that Soderling is injured.

bolo
04-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Should be a great tournament for him. His hard court performances this year looked pretty good to me overall. I think he should win relatively easily here.

mindgrinder
04-11-2010, 09:20 AM
Hardcourts and claycourts are different surfaces. Even if Davydenko and Del Potro were to return in Monte Carlo, they havent played completeitive tennis in months and they were not going to return to form in just one tournament, it takes longer then that

If this is the case, then Federer was lucky that Nadal didnt play at wimbledon 09 because Nadal was the only active top 10 player that had beaten Federer there. But it wasnt Federers fault that Nadal didnt play, and it isnt Nadals fault that federer chose to skip MC. Neither is it Nadals fault that Soderling is injured.

Totally agreeeed, why is Rhino whining then :p its abt diff surfaces...media asked Fed are u scared of davy he said i respect him like other 1000 on tour and gave a dirty look to ther reporter, look in AO he devastated Davy...

Ocean Drive
04-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Nadal - Murray semi finals should be a classic, I can't wait for that match. :)

Yes, cause Murray is a fantastic clay courter.

TheTruth
04-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Great post.

Life is full of ebbs and flows, and last year was particularly troubling for Nadal, not just because of his injuries, he's dealt with those off and on over the years, but all the personal stuff that was going on simultaneously. The injuries took on a new form too, with coming back, going out, and coming back again. That was the hardest part, he could never get his feet planted, so to speak, had to worry about how hard he could go. Now the "pressure" is building, but it's really the media and fans, imo. With all of that going on, he still played a good hard court season, made improvements, and has the will and desire to win. I think he'll be fine. Nadal was born to win and has the mental tenacity to weather the storms. As a fan, I'm not looking for him to gathering wins to make me feel good. I just want his career to go forward. You can't keep a great champion down. Nadal is no exception.

Semi-Pro
04-11-2010, 11:41 AM
Yes, cause Murray is a fantastic clay courter.

Eh, he isn't THAT bad on clay, I actually excepted worse results on clay last year from him. He actually gave Nadal somewhat of a hard time last year at Monte Carlo despite Nadal winning in two sets.

feetofclay
04-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Life is full of ebbs and flows, and last year was particularly troubling for Nadal, not just because of his injuries, he's dealt with those off and on over the years, but all the personal stuff that was going on simultaneously. The injuries took on a new form too, with coming back, going out, and coming back again. That was the hardest part, he could never get his feet planted, so to speak, had to worry about how hard he could go. Now the "pressure" is building, but it's really the media and fans, imo. With all of that going on, he still played a good hard court season, made improvements, and has the will and desire to win. I think he'll be fine. Nadal was born to win and has the mental tenacity to weather the storms. As a fan, I'm not looking for him to gathering wins to make me feel good. I just want his career to go forward. You can't keep a great champion down. Nadal is no exception.

Great post. I completely agree with the thoughts you have expressed.

hondas2k
04-11-2010, 07:44 PM
is that his gf?

CMM
04-11-2010, 11:08 PM
is that his gf?

Yes.
http://i41.tinypic.com/zkgvgl.jpg

Gen
04-12-2010, 04:58 AM
Nice Rodge Clay Vid:

Another good one from AO:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG2nRuGYVSE

Have you seen the title of this thread? It's "Nadal Heading to Monte Carlo". If your federomania keeps you away from ,common sense, why don't you open your own thread and sing hosanna to your idol there? At least I would never get into any threads slimed with the word "rodge".

Gen
04-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Nadal is very lucky.
If I had to pick five players that could possibly threaten him on clay - Federer, Soderling, Djokovic, Del Potro, and Davydenko - only one (Djokovic) is actually present in the MC draw.

(Soderling is out:http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08042010/58/soderling-monte-carlo.html)

Nobody is a threat on clay to healthy Nadal. Even when he wasn't hundred percent, he beat them all repeatedly. The previous 10 months full of injuries and dissapoinments have't deprived him of 4 clay slams and 25 clay trophies.

I understand even less what Soderling and Del Potro are doing on this list? What are their clay achievements? Sod beat legless Nadal, and since that he is supposed to be a clay GOAT? Vow! Next time he'll beat a wheel-chair player and become an all-round GOAT. What has Del Potro won on clay? A challenger or two?

CMM
04-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Hitting in slow motion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kr7chlWo1I

babbette
04-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Yes.
http://i41.tinypic.com/zkgvgl.jpg
to go with the cap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPfqRKM_Tz8

I think Rafa says something a bit different here than in the original video?

bolo
04-12-2010, 07:36 AM
Nadal is very lucky.

Not looking good to defend his FO final result.

CMM
04-12-2010, 09:11 AM
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1561/abaabaphotos690624440.jpg
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2175/abaabaphotos690625440.jpg
http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/9636/x990.jpg

jackson vile
04-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Reality check! No real Nadal fan cares about these other tournaments. The #1 goal is FO #2 is Wim. End of story. If he can win those then we have something.