PDA

View Full Version : Womens clay court season is here..

egn
04-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Its time to see how Justine will do? After Kim's poor showing this week I am intrigued to see if she gets better and you know we keep on busting Wozinacki..but she still remains a consistent top force..I am interested to see how she can do. Oh and it also looks like Navarro is back in form at the moment things might be kind of interesting.

jones101
04-10-2010, 01:57 PM
I have no idea who will dominate the CC season or how anybody will do,though im looking forward to Stuttgart, the indoor clay event, its really cool, and it seems a fast surface too.

I think the Belgians can do well on the dirt, I think the williams can too, but not dominate it,

JJ, Vika, Wozzy, and Kuzzy will be threats too.

I hope Dinara is healthy as her game is great on clay.
I also hope Ivanovic can steady her game too.

sureshs
04-10-2010, 02:13 PM
I was watching the Florida clay tourney this morning. Some beach, forget the name. It is fun watching the good-looking women work hard in the heat for every point, if you know what I mean.

Big_Dangerous
04-10-2010, 04:40 PM
I was watching the Florida clay tourney this morning. Some beach, forget the name. It is fun watching the good-looking women work hard in the heat for every point, if you know what I mean.

I honestly thought that was hard court lolz, because it was blue and I didn't see any dirt kicking up.

It was the Wozniacki vs Vesnina match that I watched.

SamSung
04-11-2010, 11:54 AM
things might be kind of interesting.

Depends what you mean by 'interesting'. The tennis will be the same old baseline rubbish, count on it.

boredone3456
04-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Clijsters lost in Marabella because she was tired after Miami, I'd take winning the next biggest tournament after the slams beating Justine in the Semi's and slaughtering Venus in the final over Marabella anyday. I think she will bounce back from losing to whatever her name was.

Pennetta will silently do well I think. Clay is her best surface and I think she will put up a decent record on the dirt, possibly QF at the French to cap it. If she wants to get back into the top 10 now is the time to make that move. No one really thinks of her even though almost all of her titles are one clay. Whether she will win one of the big clay court tournaments I don't know, but it would be nice for her.

I think Henin will do well. Safina and Kuzzy will nosedive and lose a lot of their points from last year. Woz will continue to struggle in big name tournaments, but she may finally win one. Jankovic, I hope, will pick up some momentum and win something.

rossi46
04-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Depends what you mean by 'interesting'. The tennis will be the same old baseline rubbish, count on it.

Absolutely right SamSung, God forbid the women sliced, came to the net, played angles, drop shots, learned to serve, come to think of it played tennis.

sureshs
04-12-2010, 04:19 AM
I honestly thought that was hard court lolz, because it was blue and I didn't see any dirt kicking up.

It was the Wozniacki vs Vesnina match that I watched.

Green clay

halalula1234
04-12-2010, 04:31 AM
Clijsters lost in Marabella because she was tired after Miami, I'd take winning the next biggest tournament after the slams beating Justine in the Semi's and slaughtering Venus in the final over Marabella anyday. I think she will bounce back from losing to whatever her name was.

OK.. if kim was tired and lose in marabella then I have an excuse for venus too, she was tired from winning dubai, acapulco and billie jean cup and being injured on the leg coming in which get worst towards the final.

But if u just look at the score line you can call it slaughtering i guess and Kim lost in a tight 3 set then just looking at the score.

Gorecki
04-12-2010, 04:37 AM
unfortunatelly this time of the year i feel like droping tennis, as it becomes a mostruosity of loop. loop. loop. loop. loop. loop... drop shot... rinse and repeat....

forzamilan90
04-12-2010, 04:54 AM
honestly i've lost interest in women's tennis, especially on clay most of them suck. quality in the women's game has truly gone away.

THUNDERVOLLEY
04-12-2010, 10:18 AM
unfortunatelly this time of the year i feel like droping tennis, as it becomes a mostruosity of loop. loop. loop. loop. loop. loop... drop shot... rinse and repeat....

:) While that happens often during the clay season, at least there's the FO's importance to add drama to the mix.

Gizo
04-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I like women's tennis but clay really does bring out the worst of the WTA players. Most of the girls don't have a clue how to play on the surface. After all clay rewards good point construction and patience, qualities that most of them lack.

Aside from the 2008 final which was passable I thought, every single French Open final has been absolutely dire since 2001, and even that wasn't so great despite the scoreline.

Now that my favourite player Mauresmo has retired I suppose I might be able to enjoy the event a lot more now, after watching her choking and throwing in such terrible performances there year after year.
Of course Venus isn't to going to win the French, but I would love to see her reaching the second week, but I'm not overly optimistic on that score either.

AM95
04-12-2010, 12:30 PM
who cares?

Wolland
04-12-2010, 01:29 PM
OK.. if kim was tired and lose in marabella then I have an excuse for venus too, she was tired from winning dubai, acapulco and billie jean cup and being injured on the leg coming in which get worst towards the final.

But if u just look at the score line you can call it slaughtering i guess and Kim lost in a tight 3 set then just looking at the score.

I watched Kim in Marbella and she seemed utterly uninterested. She could not wait to get off the court. I can't understand why she even bothered to play that tournament. I guess it was too late co cancel.

Anyway, things will be very interesting this year on clay. I wonder how much time and effort Henin will spend on preparing for red dirt with her priority being Wimbledon. But no matter what, she will definitely be a threat. Clijsters as well. Jankovic might score some big wins too. When she is in form, she is a real threat, especially on clay. Wozniacki will probably do well. Not sure about Serena and Venus though. My guess is that Serena won't put too much effort into tournaments prior to French Open. As for Venus, she might have a couple of good matches before the French, but I doubt she will do anything significant at the Open itself.

Kuznetsova, Dementieva, Pennetta, Petrova, Ivanovic (she's got the new coach), Radwanska and Safina should not be overlooked as well.

Wolland
04-12-2010, 01:40 PM
who cares?

I care. ;) And many others.

boredone3456
04-12-2010, 02:15 PM

So Venus was tired in April from Victories she had the end of February and on the First of March, a month later? Dubai and Alcapulco were both in February, and Billie Jean Cup was the first week of March and was a one night tennis experience and only had a maximum of 4 potential sets for you to play in the entire tournament. Since she didn't play a single tournament after the Billie Jean Cup I find it hard to believe she could be that tired from physical play 3 weeks ago, she had time to rest after her tournament wins before Miami, Clijsters didn't have that time before Marabella. Kim won a 2 week long tournament just the week before with no rest in between on a completely different surface, very different from having almost 3 weeks off. And if Venus is at the point where her fatigue is going to not go away as fast anymore or if she cannot push through it at the same level, maybe she should have skipped Alcapulco altogether.

As for an injury, well if she was injured but seeing as she only dropped one set en route to the final and creamed pretty much everybody in her way except Hantuchova her injury doesn't seem to have been that bad. I don't even remember Venus seeming that injured anyway, it is Serena who currently has a problem with her knee, and if Venus was injured ok, but that still doesn't take away from the fatigue Clijsters could have felt.

halalula1234
04-12-2010, 09:05 PM
So Venus was tired in April from Victories she had the end of February and on the First of March, a month later? Dubai and Alcapulco were both in February, and Billie Jean Cup was the first week of March and was a one night tennis experience and only had a maximum of 4 potential sets for you to play in the entire tournament. Since she didn't play a single tournament after the Billie Jean Cup I find it hard to believe she could be that tired from physical play 3 weeks ago, she had time to rest after her tournament wins before Miami, Clijsters didn't have that time before Marabella. Kim won a 2 week long tournament just the week before with no rest in between on a completely different surface, very different from having almost 3 weeks off. And if Venus is at the point where her fatigue is going to not go away as fast anymore or if she cannot push through it at the same level, maybe she should have skipped Alcapulco altogether.

As for an injury, well if she was injured but seeing as she only dropped one set en route to the final and creamed pretty much everybody in her way except Hantuchova her injury doesn't seem to have been that bad. I don't even remember Venus seeming that injured anyway, it is Serena who currently has a problem with her knee, and if Venus was injured ok, but that still doesn't take away from the fatigue Clijsters could have felt.

yes that cant take away kim;s fatigue, still i am a fan of both of them but i keep having urge to defend against venus im sorry but i cannot control it :twisted: anyway her injury got worst in the final still no excuse right kim played her best out of the 2.

davey25
04-12-2010, 09:13 PM
My predictions:

-Henin has a still quite good chance of running the table on clay pretty much and winning the French. However this is just a decent chance, not a sure thing like it seemed months ago. And if she doesnt win the French somehow her confidence will really take a bigtime hit, even more than it already has.

-Clijsters will be erratic on clay, but still has a shot of winning the French. Unlike Henin she knows deep down she is a realist who knows deep down she doesnt have a prayer to win Wimbledon atleast until the Williams fall of the map. So will push hard to try for the French as she knows Henin is vurnerable at the moment and she has a real shot to win there, and also knows her next shot wont be until the U.S Open and that Serena especialy, and to some degree Henin and Venus, are big threats there as well.

-Venus will have a better clay courter season than some imagine but still a French Open title is well out of her reach at this point of her career. The clay season will be a decent warm up for her to attack the grass and try and regain that Wimbledon title.

-Serena will be a contender at the French but come up short in a close defeat to one of the finalists.

-Safina will drop a whole bunch of points and might be out of the top 10 after the French

-Kuznetsova will crash out and like Safina drop a ton of points and probably out of the top 10.

-Wozniacki will perform well but again fail to even win a tier 1 as a bigger hitter keeps taking her out at the quarterfinal stage or beyond.

-Dementieva will win a tier 1 warmup and be hyped up to do something big at the French but crash out early in the 2nd round or something. Basically rinse and repeat when it comes to Dementieva.

-Jankovic will be a real contender. If she is to ever win a slam this years French might be one of her best and only remaining opportunities.

-Azarenka could be a contender but probably wont be winning the French.

Gorecki
04-12-2010, 11:29 PM
:) While that happens often during the clay season, at least there's the FO's importance to add drama to the mix.

cant argue with that...