PDA

View Full Version : Ernest Gulbis... Breakthrough 2010 Year

CallOfBooty
04-11-2010, 06:33 PM
I was first stumbling upon a thread about the biggest hitters on the ATP tour. I was surprised to see that Gonzo and Blake were passed on the votes, only by Ernest Gulbis. After watching a highlight video against Nadal in 2008 at Madrid, I was shocked. He hits extremely hard and not to mention his serve is pretty fast as well. What I was truly amazed by was his touch. He was hitting drop shots from everywhere: the baseline, mid court, and service box balls. His volleys are solid as from what I saw in the highlight videos of him against Federer and Karlovic in 2010. He also won his first ATP title at Delray Beach against Karlovic. Amazing returns... they were truly being blasted towards Karlovic who was continually passed on his booming 130 MPH serves.

I think Gulbis is solid. He is 21 now and his strength, conditioning, and mental game have improved along with his strokes. What do you guys think of Gulbis this year?

Li Ching Yuen
04-11-2010, 06:39 PM
He'll be the same.

He needs a brain and some real motivation.

OddJack
04-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Gulbis is going nowhere. You will see more of the same. His talent was not backed by enough discipline and mental strength.

Rhino
04-11-2010, 06:53 PM
I still think he has the potential to become top ten and do some damage.

Fate Archer
04-11-2010, 07:14 PM
My sig. 10 chars

Semi-Pro
04-11-2010, 07:21 PM
He still has a few more years to prove something but he better get his act together. Soon.

tacou
04-12-2010, 09:43 AM
I was first stumbling upon a thread about the biggest hitters on the ATP tour. I was surprised to see that Gonzo and Blake were passed on the votes, only by Ernest Gulbis. After watching a highlight video against Nadal in 2008 at Madrid, I was shocked. He hits extremely hard and not to mention his serve is pretty fast as well. What I was truly amazed by was his touch. He was hitting drop shots from everywhere: the baseline, mid court, and service box balls. His volleys are solid as from what I saw in the highlight videos of him against Federer and Karlovic in 2010. He also won his first ATP title at Delray Beach against Karlovic. Amazing returns... they were truly being blasted towards Karlovic who was continually passed on his booming 130 MPH serves.

I think Gulbis is solid. He is 21 now and his strength, conditioning, and mental game have improved along with his strokes. What do you guys think of Gulbis this year?

he is opposite of solid. first title didn't spark much progress for him at hard court masters. who knows.

NamRanger
04-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Soderling didn't get his act together till just recently, so Gulbis still has a shot. The fact that he has many weapons alone will keep his "potential" alive for many years, but he doesn't have too many of them left.

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 09:53 AM
This is a joke right? Please tell me this is a joke?

Firstly, the guy has played five good sets in his whole entire career and none of the five amazing sets equated into a win against a good player. Everyone was marveling how he won an impressive set against Roddick in the US open and it was like 'he's hitting lines'. Then at the end of the match Gulbis is hitting traffic outside Arthur Ashe court. The guy is too inconsistent and is just like the carbon copy of Berdych - except that Gulbis has found a way to become even more inconsistent thatn Berdych. Which in actual fact is easier said than done.

fantom
04-12-2010, 10:39 AM
He's actually like a poor-man's Berdych. He's in worse shape. Probably has a weaker serve and backhand.

Also, it's hard to be self-motivated when your dad is super-rich.

2slik
04-12-2010, 10:59 AM
He's actually like a poor-man's Berdych. He's in worse shape. Probably has a weaker serve and backhand.

Also, it's hard to be self-motivated when your dad is super-rich.

He beat Berdych last month.

Not everybody equates money with success.

Soderling used to be a head-case. Now he is in the top 10.

Isn't there such a thing as peaking to early?

fantom
04-12-2010, 11:25 AM
He beat Berdych last month.

Not everybody equates money with success.

Soderling used to be a head-case. Now he is in the top 10.

Isn't there such a thing as peaking to early?

One match means nothing. With that kind of firepower he can beat anybody if he's on.

What is that supposed to mean? Are you saying that he does or doesn't???

He got in shape and serious about the game. Gulbis has yet to do it, but has plenty of time.

Not really. The great ones often show their greatness at a young age.

fundrazer
04-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I think he can do well this year. Gumy has really made a big difference to his mental state and his consistency. I actually think we're about to see a deep run for him in Monte Carlo. Given the way Djoker has been playing I really think Gulbis can beat him if they meet in the 3rd round.