PDA

View Full Version : Guga vs Pavel *Spoiler*

gugafanatic
05-09-2005, 07:09 AM
Tri French Open Champion producing an impressive display against an in-form Pavel. First set 6-2, and some amazing winners of the backhand side from Guga. The hip operation is considered a great success by Guga, as it allows him to play pain-free. If he gets through these early rounds there is a possibilty of a third round showdown with Federer.

Guga still believes he can make the latter stages at RG this year. Comeon Guga!!

gugafanatic
05-09-2005, 07:11 AM
3-0 second set.

gugafanatic
05-09-2005, 07:12 AM
4-0 this is awesome for Guga right now.

AJK1
05-09-2005, 07:16 AM
Big deal............

gugafanatic
05-09-2005, 07:20 AM
6-2, 6-1 Guga beginning to find much needed form.

slice bh compliment
05-09-2005, 07:44 AM
Good win there. Who's he got next, Robredo then maybe Federer?
Go Guga! Hope he makes it to Roland Garros feeling strong.

Marius_Hancu
05-09-2005, 07:53 AM
I have to say this is a good win for Guga.

verdasco67
05-09-2005, 08:34 AM
Big deal............

big deal? he is one of the greats on clay and hes really trying hard to get back to his old form...yeah big deal he only won the french open a few times...0_0

Grimjack
05-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Winning the French WAS a big deal, this isn't. I mean, the "big deal" sentiment could've been offered a bit more tactfully, but I don't think it's too far off the mark. Pavel's a career curtain-jerker. A barely-over-.500 guy. A perennial second round loser. Don't get me wrong -- Pavel's had a nice little career. Certainly better than your average tax accountant. But he's not the type of player that marks a significant achievement on the comeback trail for a guy who's a claycourt legend. It's a win, but not much else.

Guga's a terrific, exciting player, and lots of us love him. But "big deal" is appropriate till he knocks off a legit clay-title contender the next time. Then, we can throw a little message-board celebration!

(Note: this isn't to disparage the original post. He's obviously a fan, and can whoop it up over whatever he wants. This is just in defense of the guy who's taking some flack for pointing out that this win shouldn't be thought of as anything more impressive than a routine first round romp.)

gugafanatic
05-09-2005, 09:48 AM
http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/050509/11/789m.html

he looks like the Guga of old. Gotta love the hair

gustavo33
05-09-2005, 10:12 AM
he faces robredo now
it will give us a good situation of his condition

Marius_Hancu
05-09-2005, 10:34 AM
he faces robredo now

I'd love a Fed Guga match.

Gugafan_Redux
05-09-2005, 02:24 PM
All right, nice win for Gugilly-doogilly. :p

http://homepages.ius.edu/LHOOKS/guga.jpg

gugafanatic
05-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Does anyone know if guga perms hes hair or is naturally that curly????

I remember him at the FO last yr, he had medium length hair and it was not curly in the slightest.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-09-2005, 06:35 PM
I would say if Kuerten beats Federer in the 3rd round, it would be a real sign to take him seriously at the French Open. Then again last year at the French, he beat Federer in the same round, but could not keep up physically for a full two weeks, and did not even get past fast-court player Nalbandian to make the semis against Gaudio.

gugafanatic
05-09-2005, 06:39 PM
I would say if Kuerten beats Federer in the 3rd round, it would be a real sign to take him seriously at the French Open. Then again last year at the French, he beat Federer in the same round, but could not keep up physically for a full two weeks, and did not even get past fast-court player Nalbandian to make the semis against Gaudio.

He was very unlucky against Nalbandian. I recall him having set points in the fourth set tie-breaker. Infact he played a solid match, and was perhaps the better player. It would be a great achievement for Guga to make the quarters at RG this year considering the 6 month injury lay-off.

bruinp
05-10-2005, 06:30 AM
I saw Guga play live yesterday. He was amazing! Also saw Arod, Federer, Massu, Chela, Ancic. Guga made the best impression by far! I hope he can keep up this level.

Grimjack
05-11-2005, 08:23 AM
he faces robredo now

If you're right, his condition, as it has appeared throughout the spring, is bleak. He wasn't beaten by Robredo -- he was annihilated. Out of his league.

federerhoogenbandfan
05-11-2005, 10:31 AM
This was after crushing Pavel. Robredo is better than Pavel nowadays, especially on clay. However this only emphasizes my initial point. Kuerten is physically so battered after all his hip injuries, his play is very unpredictable as a result.

gugafanatic
05-11-2005, 01:26 PM
This was a crushing defeat for Guga. I did not see the match, but Guga's results are soo unpredictable right now. I think rather embarrasing that he has lost sets to love against Martin and Robredo.

DashaandSafin
05-11-2005, 03:51 PM
ouch 6-0 on clay