PDA

View Full Version : Who is Overrated and Underrated on TW?

Crispix
04-12-2010, 02:12 AM
For me reading all these posts it seems that many players are often overrated and some grossly underrated on this board. Here are some i believe to fit the catagory...

Often Overrated: Safin, Gulbis and Federer (amount of federer fanboys is astounding)
Often Underrated: Soderling and Roddick

So who do you think is overrated or is underrated on the forums?

dmt
04-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Roddick is def underrated, he gets bashed even though he won miami.

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Everyone on TW is overrated. I admit i overrate Safin's potential. However guys like Rios and Roddick do get treated like complete @~%& on this discussion board. If this place can be called a discussion board. However i have noticed that guys like Nalbandian always somehow creep into G.O.A.T discussions and all of the Nalby fans live in a dream world.

Povl Carstensen
04-12-2010, 02:34 AM
Federer for sure. Not like he's won anything noteworthy.

davey25
04-12-2010, 02:45 AM
Overrated: Safin, Nalbandian, Henin, Clijsters, Gasquet, Dementieva, Haas, Berdych, Baghdatis, Graf, Navratilova, Federer, Gonzalez, Sharapova, Coria, Rios, Sanchez Vicario

Underrated: Serena, Venus, Evert, Court, Verdasco, Sampras, Laver, Kafelnikov, Jankovic, Davenport, Courier, Lendl, Connors, Becker, Ivanisevic, Rosewall, Gonzales, Muster, Kuerten, Ferrero, Sabatini, Novotna, Mandlikova

There are probably alot of others I missed. Just to point out it is possible to even be the greatest ever and be overrated. Graf or Navratilova are probably the greatest ever but both are overrated still in that they are put into another stratosphere in many ways beyond even what they deserve, while Court and Evert are far too overlooked relative to their greatness, and seen as further behind Graf and Navratilova by people than they should be. Federer might be the greatest ever (well I dont think he is but could see some feeling that way) but is still overrated.

LetsGoRoddick
04-12-2010, 02:55 AM
Gasquet; that is all

forzamilan90
04-12-2010, 04:55 AM
it's amazing that you say soderling is underrated yet federer is overrated. so what if he has many fans, he's the embodiment of tennis, just like michael jordan was to basketball hence the many fans and universality of it.

Gorecki
04-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Overated and Underated at the same time? only Spadea... overated rapper, underated tennis player... or is the other way around?.... i dont know.. kinda confused...

eagle
04-12-2010, 05:02 AM

Funny. :)

Anyone who loses a match should retire.

What are they thinking? :)

r,
eagle

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 05:02 AM
Overated and Underated at the same time? only Spadea... overated rapper, underated tennis player... or is the other way around?.... i dont know.. kinda confused...

Rap is for the untalented.

forzamilan90
04-12-2010, 05:10 AM

:confused:

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 05:23 AM
:confused:

Do i really have to explain what i just said?

Rap isn't a talent at all. In fact, it is the worst thing going in the music business. I know people are going to start hating on me but are the likes of Jay-z and 50 going to be remembered in 90 years time? Hell they won't be remembered in 10 years time.

forzamilan90
04-12-2010, 05:27 AM

Rap isn't a talent at all. In fact, it is the worst thing going in the music business. I know people are going to start hating on me but are the likes of Jay-z and 50 going to be remembered in 90 years time? Hell they won't be remembered in 10 years time.

well rap has gone downhill (50 cent and jay-z), but it's a legit genre of music, and a cultural cornerstone

Gorecki
04-12-2010, 05:28 AM

Ana... some just have to pick their pennies from heaven...

if you know what i mean!

ps: my post was in a jest to the whole underated, overated torrent of threads every two hours...

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Ana... some just have to pick their pennies from heaven...

if you know what i mean!

ps: my post was in a jest to the whole underated, overated torrent of threads every two hours...

I understand you :)

Or in 'rap'. I feel you bro!

Semi-Pro
04-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Overrated: Safin, Nalbandian, Henin, Clijsters, Gasquet, Dementieva, Haas, Berdych, Baghdatis, Graf, Navratilova, Federer, Gonzalez, Sharapova, Coria, Rios, Sanchez Vicario

Underrated: Serena, Venus, Evert, Court, Verdasco, Sampras, Laver, Kafelnikov, Jankovic, Davenport, Courier, Lendl, Connors, Becker, Ivanisevic, Rosewall, Gonzales, Muster, Kuerten, Ferrero, Sabatini, Novotna, Mandlikova

Some names up there that I think don't fit in either category but I guess it's just personal opinion, whether biased or not.

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 05:35 AM
well rap has gone downhill (50 cent and jay-z), but it's a legit genre of music, and a cultural cornerstone

Look, at the end of the day, whether you like it or not. We live in a weak era of Music, no kidding. Rap isn't the exception and in 20 years time no one would have heard of the 'legends of rap' who have changed the way we look at music. Bla bla bla.

rovex
04-12-2010, 05:35 AM
Of this decade, Andy Roddick.

Gorecki
04-12-2010, 05:36 AM
I understand you :)

Or in 'rap'. I feel you bro!

:)

because i when we bite, scarlett billows start to spread...

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 05:38 AM

because i when we bite, scarlett billows start to spread...

OH WE HAVE A BOBBY DARIN FAN.

PS: i edited my last post before you quoted

Fancy gloves though wears old MacHeath babe

Gorecki
04-12-2010, 05:40 AM

not so much Darin, but actually any Crooner.. darin included...

ps: in rap we should say.... "we gotz mad skilzz"

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 05:42 AM

Not many around nowadays, guys like Buble and Harry Connick are doing well with it though. They are the only great male artists of this era IMO. But Sinatra is win IMO. Even Sinatra said on live T.V that he was the greatest singer of the 20th century and will always be the greatest. LMAO true though.

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 05:44 AM

ps: in rap we should say.... "we gotz mad skilzz"

I think that's more 'grime' LOL

BLOOD.....Dun get rude now manz. or ill lace ya wid my ghetto crew. (kiss teeth)

eagle
04-12-2010, 05:58 AM
I heard a funny joke my son told me about this rap and wannabe gangsta thing.

Joke goes something like

"white folks want to be black; walk and talk like black (YO YO wat up?)

... until the police shows up. (Yes, sir officer. How can I help you?)"

r,
eagle

Gorecki
04-12-2010, 06:08 AM
I think that's more 'grime' LOL

BLOOD.....Dun get rude now manz. or ill lace ya wid my ghetto crew. (kiss teeth)

that is mac daddy talkin right there for those fooo's! ay...

jamesblakefan#1
04-12-2010, 06:53 AM
Overrated on TW: Gulbis, Safin, Nalbandian, any player that makes a deep run at a tourney is suddenly GOAT contender (slight exxageration but it happens all the time, look @ Ljubicic/Sod/Berd/JCF/Gonzo a few yrs back), Cilic, Verdasco, Michael Buble ;)

Underrated on TW: JMDP, Murray, Nadal to an extent, Hewitt

thalivest
04-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Overrated on TW: Gulbis, Safin, Nalbandian, any player that makes a deep run at a tourney is suddenly GOAT contender (slight exxageration but it happens all the time, look @ Ljubicic/Sod/Berd/JCF/Gonzo a few yrs back), Cilic, Verdasco, Michael Buble ;)

Underrated on TW: JMDP, Murray, Nadal to an extent, Hewitt

You probably also think Graf is overrated since I have seen you state many times Navratilova is the greatest ever when the majority of people, especialy on TW, now think it is Graf.

Augustus
04-12-2010, 06:59 AM

So there's rarely, never one trace of red... :)

Gorecki
04-12-2010, 07:04 AM
So there's rarely, never one trace of red... :)

on a sidewalk... one sunday morning....

Augustus
04-12-2010, 07:05 AM
Lies a body, oozin' life...

jamesblakefan#1
04-12-2010, 07:34 AM
You probably also think Graf is overrated since I have seen you state many times Navratilova is the greatest ever when the majority of people, especialy on TW, now think it is Graf.

Well Steffi's great no doubt, though she undoubtedly benefited from Seles' incident as far as her slam count is concerned. I don't think she's overrated, just personally find Martina to be greater, though I understand why so many rate Graf as the greatest.

OKUSA
04-12-2010, 07:50 AM
overrated: nadal
underrated: davydenko

aldeayeah
04-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Overrated: Nalbandian, Gasquet, Isner

Underrated: Ljubicic, Robredo

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 07:57 AM
Lies a body, oozin' life...

someone's sneaking 'round on the corner....

Gorecki
04-12-2010, 08:00 AM
someone's sneaking 'round on the corner....
could that someone perhaps be:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=48360

MacTheKnife
New User

??????? :)

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 08:02 AM
could that someone perhaps be:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/member.php?u=48360

MacTheKnife
New User

??????? :)

LMAO. Great sleuthing!

dropshot winner
04-12-2010, 08:04 AM
Hail the generalizations! You come to the wrong conclusions because you equal tools like 50 cent with rap.

A lot of crap has been and is still produced under the name of rap, but there are still a lot of great artists with lots of lyrical skills around. (but probably not in the MTV top10).

You can't tell me that the likes of the Roots have no musical talent.

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Hail the generalizations! You come to the wrong conclusions because you equal tools like 50 cent with rap.

A lot of crap has been and is still produced under the name of rap, but there are still a lot of great artists with lots of lyrical skills around. (but probably not in the MTV top10).

You can't tell me that the likes of the Roots have no musical talent.

Name me one rapper who will go down as a legend of music and will recieve a life time achievement for contribution to music.

Rap is nothing but a noise for me; an unwanted sound.

mindgrinder
04-12-2010, 08:07 AM
rafa is one under rated, too many bashers for rafa

drakulie
04-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Overated: Rios, Donald Young

Under: Roddick

dropshot winner
04-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Name me one rapper who will go down as a legend of music and will recieve a life time achievement for contribution to music.

Rap is nothing but a noise for me; an unwanted sound.

Are you are listening to music for its reputation? :confused:

I'm open to all kind of music, I don't see a problem to go to a Roger Waters concert one day and the next day watch some swiss hip-hop artists that almost on one outside Switzerland will ever hear of.
Why should I care about an artists reputation in 50 years?

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 08:36 AM
Are you are listening to music for its reputation? :confused:

I'm open to all kind of music, I don't see a problem to go to a Roger Waters concert one day and the next day watch some swiss hip-hop artists that almost on one outside Switzerland will ever hear of.
Why should I care about an artists reputation in 50 years?

To answer your question. No.

I'm open to a lot of different genres. I like the Beach boys, Metallica, Beatles, Queen, but i like Sinatra, Dino, Tony Bennett, Sammy Davis Jr, Michael Buble. I like Chuck Berry, Sam Cooke and lots of different people.

And i don't judge people based on what music they listen to, only a moron would. However i still reserve the right to say that i don't think white people should listen to Rap.

NamRanger
04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Overrated : Nadal, Federer, Choketasco

Underrated : Roddick, Hewitt, Davydenko, Isner, Ferrer

dropshot winner
04-12-2010, 08:42 AM

I'm open to a lot of different genres. I like the Beach boys, Metallica, Beatles, Queen, but i like Sinatra, Dino, Tony Bennett, Sammy Davis Jr, Michael Buble. I like Chuck Berry, Sam Cooke and lots of different people.

And i don't judge people based on what music they listen to, only a moron would. However i still reserve the right to say that i don't think white people should listen to Rap.

The last sentence made me laugh. Shouldn't black people listen to classic music, to hive one example, either?

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 08:45 AM
The last sentence made me laugh. Shouldn't black people listen to classic music, to hive one example, either?

No, they can listen to whoever they want - i would rather them listen to proper music than that trash. However i have seen a lot of white people act ghetto because they listen to that music. But if you think a white boy acting black is a good thing then that's fine.

dropshot winner
04-12-2010, 08:52 AM
No, they can listen to whoever they want - i would rather them listen to proper music than that trash. However i have seen a lot of white people act ghetto because they listen to that music. But if you think a white boy acting black is a good thing then that's fine.
If you think it's all trash anyway, how is the skin color even worth mentioning?

Rap is not just fancy cars, nude women, and acting tough, eventhough you can get that impression by looking at the us billboard charts in the last few years.

OJ ROD
04-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Everyone on TW is overrated. I admit i overrate Safin's potential. However guys like Rios and Roddick do get treated like complete @~%& on this discussion board. If this place can be called a discussion board. However i have noticed that guys like Nalbandian always somehow creep into G.O.A.T discussions and all of the Nalby fans live in a dream world.

Okay, I defend Nalbandian a lot because a lot of posters don't give him the respect he deserves, but GOAT is a serious strech. He doesn't even seem to have any intentions of working to be considered officially the best of his generation, much less of all time.

Justdoit10
04-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Look, at the end of the day, whether you like it or not. We live in a weak era of Music, no kidding. Rap isn't the exception and in 20 years time no one would have heard of the 'legends of rap' who have changed the way we look at music. Bla bla bla.
Actually, Rap music has its own legends that will be remembered for years to come. Tupac and Notorious B.I.G are people who revolutionized rap music and despite both being dead, they are still remembered today. There are many schools of thoughts. Just because you dont see anything in rap doesnt mean it is a worthless genre of music. I dont listen to rap at all but it is a legit form of music.

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 08:57 AM
If you think it's all trash anyway, how is the skin color even worth mentioning?

Rap is not just fancy cars, nude women, and acting tough, eventhough you can get that impression by looking at the us billboard charts in the last few years.

I don't want to argue. I don't like rap. Period. I understand it is personal choice and that's fine. I'm sure acts like Rage and Linkin Park are good. but Rap stars aren't even good role models. Eminem bragged about beating up 2 gay people outside on the streets once. People can idolise them. I'm not.

rovex
04-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Overrated : Nadal, Federer, Choketasco

Underrated : Roddick, Hewitt, Davydenko, Isner, Ferrer

Verdasco is overrated? What Bullsp!t. Not surprising however when it's coming from you. Haha, Roddick is the most overrated player of this decade! Fanboyism getting the better of you.

dropshot winner
04-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Actually, Rap music has its own legends that will be remembered for years to come. Tupac and Notorious B.I.G are people who revolutionized rap music and despite both being dead, they are still remembered today.

Both of them are overrated. Rap doesn't need legends anyway, the good stuff is usually not that well known by the public.

jamesblakefan#1
04-12-2010, 09:01 AM

And plenty of corporate CEOs and so called white bred guys here in America listen to rap music that I can't even stand. So stop talking in generalizations, open your eyes and minds, and realize that rap isn't just trash only enjoyed by the so called 'degenerates' of the world, or at least those you look at as degenerates. And the fact that you think "acting black" is a bad thing, or acting any way you want is a bad thing, says a lot about yourself. Then again you did comment on one of my pics in the 'your picture' thread calling my friends some slang term for people over in the UK, so that does say a lot about your judgemental nature.

Anyways, sorry to turn this into a referendum on race and music, just certain things need to be put into order. Back to business.

FEDERER IS OVERRATED~! :twisted:

Justdoit10
04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Both of them are overrated. Rap doesn't need legends anyway, the good stuff is usually not that well known by the public.
Overrated or not, they are still icons in hip hop music. I dont listen to them and neither do I care about rap music. I was just telling anaconda that certain rap stars will carry there superstar status for years to come.

dropshot winner
04-12-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't want to argue. I don't like rap. Period. I understand it is personal choice and that's fine. I'm sure acts like Rage and Linkin Park are good. but Rap stars aren't even good role models. Eminem bragged about beating up 2 gay people outside on the streets once. People can idolise them. I'm not.

Linkin Park isn't good and isn't rap.

I can only repeat it, most american mainstream rap is terrible, it makes not mzch sense to base a genre on that.

Baselineg
04-12-2010, 09:16 AM

MICHAEL BUBLE LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

your lame.

Lifted
04-12-2010, 09:19 AM

I respectfully disagree. Of course one is free to like or dislike any form of music, chiefly because the appraisal of music is subjective, but I'd like to say that there exists some rap that is markedly different in quality than most mainstream efforts. I couldn't go very deep into this, because I'm not THAT big of a fan of rap to know any good artists these days. All I can really do is offer the example of the Wu Tang Clan, who were actually very, very popular back in the 90's and even now. I'm posting this knowing that Wu Tang probably isn't the most adroit example of what can be done with the genre, but they are miles better than 50 Cent or most mainstream rap.

As far as the white boy acting black comment...well, technically speaking, no, it's not good for a white boy, or any boy for that matter, to act 'black' in certain situations, like a Med school admissions interview, but in it's own environment, who really cares? I thought the focus was on the music anyway.

NB: I'm not trying to convince you to like rap, I'm just trying to show you that rap CAN be awesome, and that it's a valid form of artistic expression, however inferior it may be to other forms of music ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl6jwab3HWk&feature=related

Justdoit10
04-12-2010, 09:20 AM

your lame.
I know. This guy ****s of other peoples music interests as if they are crap and then partakes in his butt kissing of Michael Buble. News flash, Michael Buble isnt an oil painting either.

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 09:20 AM
And plenty of corporate CEOs and so called white bred guys here in America listen to rap music that I can't even stand. So stop talking in generalizations, open your eyes and minds, and realize that rap isn't just trash only enjoyed by the so called 'degenerates' of the world, or at least those you look at as degenerates. And the fact that you think "acting black" is a bad thing, or acting any way you want is a bad thing, says a lot about yourself. Then again you did comment on one of my pics in the 'your picture' thread calling my friends some slang term for people over in the UK, so that does say a lot about your judgemental nature.

Anyways, sorry to turn this into a referendum on race and music, just certain things need to be put into order. Back to business.

FEDERER IS OVERRATED~! :twisted:

Firstly, i called you and your friends a wierd mix - it was like a name for sporty people and Skaters who listen to like Fall out boy etc. Nothing offensive. Sorry if you got annoyed :)

Secondly, i don't think people who listen to rap are degenerates. But never mind. Posters just love to twist words don't they.

Finally, you would feel annoyed maybe if a white human being came out with phrases such as 'ya'll' 'blood' 'yow' 'manz'. I could go on but it is annoying.

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 09:23 AM

your lame.

You spelt Your wrong. It's you're. You sir, fail.

jamesblakefan#1
04-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Finally, you would feel annoyed maybe if a white human being came out with phrases such as 'ya'll' 'blood' 'yow' 'manz'. I could go on but it is annoying.

That's as fickle as basing things on skater guys who's language consists of 'dude', 'sweet', 'bro', 'gnarly' etc. The knife cuts both ways.

rovex
04-12-2010, 09:24 AM

Oh dear, not another moron complaining about someone else's spelling...

Michael Buble's crap just to let you know.

thalivest
04-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Well Steffi's great no doubt, though she undoubtedly benefited from Seles' incident as far as her slam count is concerned. I don't think she's overrated, just personally find Martina to be greater, though I understand why so many rate Graf as the greatest.

I personally think Seles was only going to win 4 more slams from 93-96. Then no slams the rest of her career after 96. Two of those were the 93 and 96 Aussie Opens she already won, 1 would be the 94 U.S Open Graf lost due to injury anyway, and the other would be maybe 94 Wimbledon which Graf lost out on anyway or 1 of the 95 slams. So at most I think she denies Graf only 1 of the slams she wins thus Graf wins 21 or 22, Graf could also now gain the 94 Wimbledon title she didnt win with an altered draw too. Actually from 96 onwards I dont think there is any "what if: as Seles's career would have been exactly the same as it was anyway, so the only "what if" is the 93-95 period. I see Seles ending up with 11 total slams about.

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 09:27 AM
That's as fickle as basing things on skater guys who's language consists of 'dude', 'sweet', 'bro', 'gnarly' etc. The knife cuts both ways.

Look, i don't have a problem with you. You're one of the better posters in this place. I don't like the fact that you thought i called you a bad name when i didn't!

That's different, because those words don't belong to a specific group of people.

OKUSA
04-12-2010, 09:27 AM
i laugh at people who point out a particular genre of music is bad, like it's going to change anyone's' mind

Anaconda
04-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Oh dear, not another moron complaining about someone else's spelling...

Michael Buble's crap just to let you know.

Fine, maybe he is. I've seen him quite a few times in conert and i should know.

Verdasco is a choker just to let you know. And who is the moron, the person who can't spell right or the guy correcting him?

Justdoit10
04-12-2010, 09:33 AM
i laugh at people who point out a particular genre of music is bad, like it's going to change anyone's' mind
agreed. The worst excuse people give for making fun of other types of music is that "no will remember it 50 years from now? Really? Who the hell cares. Everyone has 1 life and they should listen to the music they like. It doesnt matter whether it is lady gaga or the Beatles. If you think Lady gaga is better, than you think lady gaga is better. Music is completely subjective.

dropshot winner
04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
Overrated or not, they are still icons in hip hop music. I dont listen to them and neither do I care about rap music. I was just telling anaconda that certain rap stars will carry there superstar status for years to come.

Fully agree.

For a moment I thought you were one of those "OMG TUPAC IS THE GREATEST MUSICIAN OF ALL TIME!!!"-guys :).

joeri888
04-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Andy Roddick underrated. Also Roger Federer and Rafa Nadal depending on who you talk to are both under- and overrated.

Big hitters are overrated in general on this forum.

plum556
04-12-2010, 09:48 AM

If you think someone is acting a certain way because of the music they listen to,then that is your right. You seem to think that music is the only influential factor in people being so called "ghetto." What is or is not proper music is personal opinion. Although I used to listen to rap music when I was younger(Sugar hill Gang,SuperRhyme,RunDmc etc.), I prefer more soothing music now...although I do sometimes listen to the non-hardcore rappers. I do think that some of the hard core rap stuff is outrageous but there are decent rappers out there who do not fit into this category. My 2 youngest daughters listen to rap all the time. They are high honor students, phenomenal athletes and very respectful as that is how they were raised. I think people acting so called "ghetto" would have to be attributed to a lot more than just the music they listen to.

The type of music you listen to is preferential and I don't knock anyone who listens to music which may not be music to my ears.

By the way,what exactly is" acting black"? It seems you are saying that if someone white listens to rap music or if they are acting so called "ghetto",they are acting black. Black people are not the only people who act ghetto,listen to or produce rap music. You said yourself that white people are listening to rap music....this is acting black? :confused::confused:

On a final note......Some of the same music you said you prefer would be considered by others as trash(your desciption). Is your musical preference more important than persons who's musical taste is totally different than yours?

OKUSA
04-12-2010, 09:48 AM
agreed. The worst excuse people give for making fun of other types of music is that "no will remember it 50 years from now? Really? Who the hell cares. Everyone has 1 life and they should listen to the music they like. It doesnt matter whether it is lady gaga or the Beatles. If you think Lady gaga is better, than you think lady gaga is better. Music is completely subjective.

that is hilarious, because i do think lady gaga is better than the beatles. i have to say that lady gaga is my favorite pop artist, and i never cared for the beatles.

angiebaby
04-12-2010, 09:51 AM

This? Is shocking. :shock:

And terribly unfortunate because the first paragraph of your post is fair enough. And the first part of the second paragraph is cool. And then you had to go and add that last line? It's 2010, do people still think like this? Oh. Dear. :eek:

dropshot winner
04-12-2010, 09:56 AM
14 years old and still spot on: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KssEuSXxoSE&feature=related

2slik
04-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Djokovic, JMDP

plum556
04-12-2010, 10:04 AM
I think some people are forgetting that a lot of singers will do a short stint of rap in their songs because of it's popularity. Although they are not rappers exclusively, they are still rappers nonetheless.

Baselineg
04-12-2010, 10:29 AM

This is what you should have said -

" You spelt you're wrong. It's you're. You sir, fail."

I spelt your just fine... i just used it wrong.

onyxrose81
04-12-2010, 12:05 PM

I agree with you a lot on tennis but you have utterly lost me with that last sentence, and I say that as a black female. Your whole post reeks of ignorance. Most mainstream rap in America is crap but you have the wonderful gems like Common, Talib Kweli and Juelz Santana. The sheer fact that you put Linkin Park down as a rap group makes me think that you don't know what you're talking about.

Michael Bluth
04-12-2010, 12:15 PM
As far as mainstream rap goes Jay-Z isn't bad. He was actually pretty awesome in some of his earlier albums, but these days his music is pretty uninspired and boring.

AM95
04-12-2010, 12:18 PM

^^^^ this

because winning 16 gs and 62 titles isnt enough :rolleyes:

roddick, i feel is completley underrated, soderling...wouldn't say so.

sondraj
04-12-2010, 12:25 PM

HAHA uh NO

Augustus
04-12-2010, 12:29 PM
A lot of threads turning into music flamewars lately :lol:

Bhagi Katbamna
04-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Overrated: Easily Nalbandian. For someone who has won very little, he's a god on these boards. I must admit that the infatuation with Tommy Haas has dried a bit.

Underrated: Easily Roddick. For all the consistant success he's had.

anointedone
04-12-2010, 04:49 PM

Monica Seles is truly one of the nicest and classiest people in tennis history, but as a tennis player I always felt she was overrated. This might sound harsh, but in a way for how she is perceived the stabbing might have even been a good thing for her (of course the stabbing was still far more bad than good for her overall life so I am not saying overall it is good for her it happened). Many of her ardent fans like to argue her as the greatest ever because of the "what if" she wasnt stabbed. Even many experts while in no way saying she is the greatest ever do say and believe she would have become the greatest player ever without the stabbing which is still very high honor. IMO this is far inflated to what her reality would have panned out, and in that sense she might even be fortunate to have people having this perception of her that they never would have had otherwise.

I admit my opinion of her is somewhat colored by her playing the final 8 years of her career grossly overweight (with few exceptions) and how useless she looked vs the new generation players like Hingis, Davenport, Venus, and Serena in only her mid 20s. People can say what they want but I dont see any excuse for the former, and I dont see how the latter that many years laters was magically due to the stabbing incident. Even Graf in the twilight of her career with a battered body by surgeries was very competitive with that 4some. I am not arguing your stance on Graf any, just using her as a point of comparision to Seles in that regard.

THUNDERVOLLEY
04-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Overrated: Roddick. As soon as he won his one and (apparently) only slam, too many--from commentators to fans and writers made looney-bin worthy statements, comparing his first win to the 1st of true legends such as John McEnroe and Pete Sampras--projecting as though he was cut from the same, grand cloth, and would see similar results one day or another. Even today, Patrick McEnroe and others act as Roddick's PR firm, never giving him the kind of negative questioning they have used against truly great players.

They picked the wrong horse.

Pwned
04-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Underrated: Roddick.

Lsmkenpo
04-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Overrated- healthy Nadal,Murray,Dimitrov

Underrated- unhealthy Nadal,Soderling,Roddick,Thiemo de Bakker

thalivest
04-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Overrated: Roddick. As soon as he won his one and (apparently) only slam, too many--from commentators to fans and writers made looney-bin worthy statements, comparing his first win to the 1st of true legends such as John McEnroe and Pete Sampras--projecting as though he was cut from the same, grand cloth, and would see similar results one day or another. Even today, Patrick McEnroe and others act as Roddick's PR firm, never giving him the kind of negative questioning they have used against truly great players.

They picked the wrong horse.

Who else were they going to pick though. James Blake? An aged Agassi with a hobbled back? The sad truth is that Roddick was clearly the best of the up and coming American generation so they had to try and be positive about him as he was the best they were going to have for awhile. A sad state for American mens tennis given their history though. Of course they could have just been truthful and said there were going to be no great American men for atleast another decade but they do need to try and draw viewers.

ruerooo
04-12-2010, 10:40 PM

On a tennis board, and not in the off-topic sections.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Gorecki
04-12-2010, 11:21 PM
62 titles isnt enough :rolleyes:

that stat alone is hardly a gargatuan achievement no?

Jmac comes to mind...

Povl Carstensen
04-13-2010, 01:59 AM
that stat alone is hardly a gargatuan achievement no?

Jmac comes to mind...

This from a dictionary:
Gargantuan
Definition: very large

But ofcourse 62 is an overrated number when it comes to atp titles....

Legend of Borg
04-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Overrated- healthy Nadal,Murray,Dimitrov

Underrated- unhealthy Nadal,Soderling,Roddick,Thiemo de Bakker

Dimitrov has yet to prove himself as a great player. I personally dislike how his coach and other people make comparisons to Federer. It places a HUGE and unrealistic expectation on him, to say the least. Just let him become his own player, not "mini Fed".

THUNDERVOLLEY
04-13-2010, 03:41 AM
The sad truth is that Roddick was clearly the best of the up and coming American generation so they had to try and be positive about him as he was the best they were going to have for awhile. A sad state for American mens tennis given their history though. Of course they could have just been truthful and said there were going to be no great American men for atleast another decade but they do need to try and draw viewers.

That's the point: instead of being realistic about Roddick, many tried to hand him the title of heir apparent to legendary U.S. male players, when they certainly had no grounds to think such a thing. Obviously, much of the disappointment Roddick fans have centers on his failure to start piling up win additional slams--but thy set themselves up for it by thinking as though Roddick-will-be-a-multi-slam-winner was some sort of guarantee by virtue of the fact that it happened to legendary American males like McEnroe & Sampras.

Now that it is likely he will never win another slam in the Federer era, you see fans shiftng the value of accomplishments to things like years spent in the top 10, etc., when that was certainly not the focus for Roddick career projections (or fantasies) after his lone U.S. Open. It amounts to an excuse rather than admitting the years of hype and praise was an act of overrating Roddick.

thalivest
04-13-2010, 03:51 AM
That's the point: instead of being realistic about Roddick, many tried to hand him the title of heir apparent to legendary U.S. male players, when they certainly had no grounds to think such a thing. Obviously, much of the disappointment Roddick fans have centers on his failure to start piling up win additional slams--but thy set themselves up for it by thinking as though Roddick-will-be-a-multi-slam-winner was some sort of guarantee by virtue of the fact that it happened to legendary American males like McEnroe & Sampras.

Now that it is likely he will never win another slam in the Federer era, you see fans shiftng the value of accomplishments to things like years spent in the top 10, etc., when that was certainly not the focus for Roddick career projections (or fantasies) after his lone U.S. Open. It amounts to an excuse rather than admitting the years of hype and praise was an act of overrating Roddick.

This is all true. It is a shame in a way for Roddick as his career and achievements would still be somewhat admirable if they werent now backtracking for unreasoanble over the top hype and expectations. I guess my point though was what were the U.S media, analysts, writers, and even fans ever going to do in that case. To them the thought of not having a player that is truly "great" to atleast close to McEnroe and Connors level is unbearable. So the best that is out there for them, which unfortunately during this decade was Roddick, is going to be hyped as someone who is that great even if they arent even close.

Gorecki
04-13-2010, 05:17 AM
This from a dictionary:
Gargantuan
Definition: very large

But ofcourse 62 is an overrated number when it comes to atp titles....

so you won the spelling bee in your county... congrats.

OJ ROD
04-13-2010, 05:51 AM

Yeah. But people are arguing Buble and fiddy. They could at least take it the conversation to a higher level than our contemporary mediocre yet thriving in a low time for entertainment in general artists. I mean, some of the big artists are usually underground, but not so hard to find. But I can help rating an artist like I rate a tennis player. You're only as strong as you're weakest link. Fiddy Bubles are low to the ground.

Big Dave
04-13-2010, 07:09 AM

couldn't agree with you more! If you ever listen to most of them talk, they can barely speak english, yet they'll make 100 times more money than those people out there who truly contribute to society.

Not to bring religion into anything, but i remember hearing Jay-Z rap in a Lenny Kravitz song and he says " i make hustling heaven and pimpin an art"..... then later in the same verse he ends it by saying " all grace to god"

I'm no religious buff, but that seems a little contradictory.....oh well, thats rap. ok, ill get off my soapbox and stop threadwhoring now :)

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 08:12 AM
Yeah. But people are arguing Buble and fiddy. They could at least take it the conversation to a higher level than our contemporary mediocre yet thriving in a low time for entertainment in general artists. I mean, some of the big artists are usually underground, but not so hard to find. But I can help rating an artist like I rate a tennis player. You're only as strong as you're weakest link. Fiddy Bubles are low to the ground.

Actually i never used him as an example. Just one of my favourites. Yet again, you are showing your ignorance by not reading anything and just making assumptions.

And your last comment couldn't be more dumb if you tried, whether you hate MB or not his last 2 albums have both debuted at #1 in the USA. But i'm sure you've done the research.

dropshot winner
04-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Actually i never used him as an example. Just one of my favourites. Yet again, you are showing your ignorance by not reading anything and just making assumptions.

And your last comment couldn't be more dumb if you tried, whether you hate MB or not his last 2 albums have both debuted at #1 in the USA. But i'm sure you've done the research.
So what? 50 cent has sold over 40 million albums with crappy music on all of them. Commercial success is not a seal of quality.

drakulie
04-13-2010, 08:28 AM
http://parkerdonat.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/milli-vanilli.jpg

dropshot winner
04-13-2010, 08:29 AM
http://parkerdonat.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/milli-vanilli.jpg

LOL. I rest my case.

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 08:39 AM
So what? 50 cent has sold over 40 million albums with crappy music on all of them. Commercial success is not a seal of quality.

OK. But he doesn't use pro tools in his album for sound enhancment. Most peopel do. I personally couldn't care less about what they say though. I've seen him plenty of times in concert to say he's a very good singer. Music is personal taste but you have to draw the line somewhere and say that Rap isn't a talent.

jamesblakefan#1
04-13-2010, 08:46 AM
OK. But he doesn't use pro tools in his album for sound enhancment. Most peopel do. I personally couldn't care less about what they say though. I've seen him plenty of times in concert to say he's a very good singer. Music is personal taste but you have to draw the line somewhere and say that Rap isn't a talent.

Can you rap? Saying you don't like rap is one thing, but saying it doesn't take talent is just ignorant.

Gorecki
04-13-2010, 08:50 AM
all this because i mentioned Spadea...

i'm to blame... it's me...

:hides in shame and waits for deserved stoning:

plum556
04-13-2010, 08:51 AM

Well let me see you do it then. I know I most certainly can't. Why can't you accept the fact that different people like different types of music. Because you think someone is a good singer does not mean everyone else will. Your opinion is not the only one that counts on this planet. Different strokes for different folks.

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Can you rap? Saying you don't like rap is one thing, but saying it doesn't take talent is just ignorant.

Do i need to rap?

No, however i normally sing songs like Sinatra and Bennett or most barritone singers. (Barritone is a range in the middle - not at base but not a tenor)

Obviously i'm not even 1/100000 as good as them but i'd rather be crap at standards and Jazz than being a good rapper.

pame
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Just out of curiosity, who the heck is Michael Buble anyway? Going to be hard to remember him in 50 years if I've never heard of him... lmao

As for acting black, would you be good enough to explain how does one act white, as well as explain how one acts black? I ask this in all sincerity since I come from an island that is 95% black population, and have never been aware that I was acting in any other way than human

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Just out of curiosity, who the heck is Michael Buble anyway? Going to be hard to remember him in 50 years if I've never heard of him... lmao

As for acting black, would you be good enough to explain how does one act white, as well as explain how one acts black? I ask this in all sincerity since I come from an island that is 95% black population, and have never been aware that I was acting in any other way than human

White person acting black scenario.

Friend or someone else: Would you like this subway i bought?
White person: Yo safe blood.

Normal people

Friend: Would you like this subway i bought, i don't need it i'm full up?
White person: Are you sure? Thankyou?

It's not exactly rocketdyne.

Augustus
04-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Do i need to rap?

No, however i normally sing songs like Sinatra and Bennett or most barritone singers. (Barritone is a range in the middle - not at base but not a tenor)

Obviously i'm not even 1/100000 as good as them but i'd rather be crap at standards and Jazz than being a good rapper.

Anaconda, you should make a thread about the golden oldies in the Odds&Ends section where we can post videos of forgotten gems...

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 09:09 AM
Anaconda, you should make a thread about the golden oldies in the Odds&Ends section where we can post videos of forgotten gems...

Tony Bennett is alive and singing today. Certainly not a forgotten gem.

jamesblakefan#1
04-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Simple question - Do you think that listening to classical music makes you inherently better than people that listen to rap music?

morten
all i know is i am very underrated on these boards, i hardly get a mention...

Augustus
Tony Bennett is alive and singing today. Certainly not a forgotten gem.

Yeah, I know. I meant 'not-so-well-known' songs of the old jazz/crooner legends. I have some, and would be interested in others, because I adore the music of Frank, Dino, Tony Bennett, Bobby Darrin, Sammy Davis, Ella etc etc :)

OJ ROD
04-13-2010, 09:15 AM
all i know is i am very underrated on these boards, i hardly get a mention...

Hey Morty. Sup' son.

Augustus
04-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Simple question - Do you think that listening to classical music makes you inherently better than people that listen to rap music?

I just don't understand this whole debate... Different people, different tastes.
Personally I like the old jazz music and rap not so much, but that doesn't make me one bit better than people that listen to rap, punk or death metal. I have nothing against it, I just wouldn't listen to it myself.

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 09:21 AM

No. However i never said anything about intelligence or people's remidial level. Read my posts. You've accussed me of being ignorant - yet i neevr said there is a direct correlation between music and intelligence.

jamesblakefan#1
04-13-2010, 09:25 AM
No. However i never said anything about intelligence or people's remidial level. Read my posts. You've accussed me of being ignorant - yet i neevr said there is a direct correlation between music and intelligence.

You did say that white people listening to rap causes them to "act black". I pointed out that plenty of normal people, or I guess what you what term as normal, listen to rap and don't talk the way you mention. You're just stereotyping, is all I'm saying. It's just as base as saying only potheads listen to reggae, only emo kids listen to metal, etc.

T1000
04-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Michael Buble is garbage and so is most rap.

Overrated: Roddick, Nadal, Safin, Nalbandian, Gasquet, Murray, The last person to win a title

Underrated: Hewitt, Ferrer, Isner,

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 09:32 AM
You did say that white people listening to rap causes them to "act black". I pointed out that plenty of normal people, or I guess what you what term as normal, listen to rap and don't talk the way you mention. You're just stereotyping, is all I'm saying. It's just as base as saying only potheads listen to reggae, only emo kids listen to metal, etc.

Emo 'kids' don't actually listen to metal though. That would be metalheads. Emo music is like Panic! at the disco and Fall Out Boy.

Then you go on to say i verbally attacked you and your friends. Which i didn't. I merely pointed out there clothing stlye. Then again i don't except an apology.

And lastly, you've got me wrong again. I said the RAP ISN'T ESSENTIALLY FOR WHITE PEOPLE. Then i said that MOST WHITE PEOPLE WHO I KNOW LISTEN TO RAP ACT BLACK. Maybe it's just a thing where i live, i don't know.

Breaker
04-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Emo 'kids' don't actually listen to metal though. That would be metalheads. Emo music is like Panic! at the disco and Fall Out Boy.

Then you go on to say i verbally attacked you and your friends. Which i didn't. I merely pointed out there clothing stlye. Then again i don't except an apology.

And lastly, you've got me wrong again. I said the RAP ISN'T ESSENTIALLY FOR WHITE PEOPLE. Then i said that MOST WHITE PEOPLE WHO I KNOW LISTEN TO RAP ACT BLACK. Maybe it's just a thing where i live, i don't know.

Calm down blud it be alright innit.

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Calm down blud it be alright innit.

I would joke along with you but things have escalated beyond a joke ATM.

T1000
04-13-2010, 09:37 AM

It should be accept or expect, not sure where you're going with this. You sir fail.

rovex
04-13-2010, 09:38 AM
It should be accept or expect, not sure where you're going with this. You sir fail.

LOL! And Anaconda pointed out a spelling error from someone else, what a loser!

Baselineg
04-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Anaconda, you should think of rap as i think of curling....i dont have any interest in participating or watching it but i can still see the level of talent so i can still respect it.

Because i dont hate on what i dont understand or cant do.

To say rap takes no talent is ridicoulous, i listen to all genres of music because i can respect them all and to just listen to one kind of music because its the "white" thing to do is stupid. so why stereotype everything just live.

pame
04-13-2010, 09:40 AM

Normal people

Really? I wonder if you would be so kind then not to transpose your peculiar experiences onto the entire African diaspora. BTW, as a black person, I'm not even sure of the meaning of "Yo safe blood"... I can only intuit. Oh and thank you for saving me the embarrassment of going to my grave without ever knowing that instead of acting human, I might have been acting all my 60 odd years in one colour or another. As Alice would say, "curiouser and curioser". There might of course, be other terms that might be applicable to your own peculiar perspective

rovex
04-13-2010, 09:40 AM
I would joke along with you but things have escalated beyond a joke ATM.

You don't make any sense, You can only blame yourself that you're in this mess!

jamesblakefan#1
04-13-2010, 09:45 AM

I never said you "attacked my friends". I just noted how you judged my friends based solely on their clothing. Which you did.

Here's what I said.

Then again you did comment on one of my pics in the 'your picture' thread calling my friends some slang term for people over in the UK, so that does say a lot about your judgmental nature.

And this is what I was referring to.

Chavs & Emos. Wierd mix!

So I don't see why you expect an apology since I never claimed you attacked my friends, just that you judged them based on their clothes and that speaks alot about you judging people based on their music, etc.

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Anaconda, you should think of rap as i think of curling....i dont have any interest in participating or watching it but i can still see the level of talent so i can still respect it.

Because i dont hate on what i dont understand or cant do.

To say rap takes no talent is ridicoulous, i listen to all genres of music because i can respect them all and to just listen to one kind of music because its the "white" thing to do is stupid. so why stereotype everything just live.

1) A lot of lyrics are silly.
2) Rap artists aren't good role models.
3) No melody.

The three main reasons i dislike rap. People can argue all they want but it's true.

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 09:50 AM
I never said you "attacked my friends". I just noted how you judged my friends based solely on their clothing. Which you did.

Here's what I said.

And this is what I was referring to.

So I don't see why you expect an apology since I never claimed you attacked my friends, just that you judged them based on their clothes and that speaks alot about you judging people based on their music, etc.

Again. You have the nerve to call me ignorant but i never judged there personalities or as human beings; Commenting on there fashion sense isn't exactly what i call harmful.

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 09:52 AM
You don't make any sense, You can only blame yourself that you're in this mess!

It's hardly a mess. It's one opinion v another.

However i'm more annoyed that i slipped up and you found a spelling error.

rainingaces
04-13-2010, 10:01 AM
I don't think anyone is overrated on here but quite a few underrated.

Davydenko is defiantly underrated, he is incredibly consistent, his ranking has hardly moved over the past few years.

I rate davy as the 2nd cleanest ball striker on tour, he can play any surface, for someone of his height and build he has got the maximum out of his ability. He moves very gracefully around the court and some super footwork allows for him to be in position to hit those early shots.

batz
04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Again. You have the nerve to call me ignorant but i never judged there personalities or as human beings; Commenting on there fashion sense isn't exactly what i call harmful.

It's their fashion sense and one should always capitalise I.

Quis custodiet ipsos facio custodes? ;)

Baselineg
04-13-2010, 10:13 AM
1) A lot of lyrics are silly.
2) Rap artists aren't good role models.
3) No melody.

The three main reasons i dislike rap. People can argue all they want but it's true.

Whatever im done with you.
i have just two more words.........

MICHAEL BUBLE!

HAHAHA YOU'RE LAME.

rovex
04-13-2010, 10:17 AM
It's hardly a mess. It's one opinion v another..

Oh it really is. You are just in denial!

However i'm more annoyed that i slipped up and you found a spelling error.

Hopefully you've learned not to point out other people's errors. :roll:

plum556
04-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Normal people

If you can't see how stereotypical this is, then I believe you are beyond help. How old are you anyway? Good grief.

Anaconda
04-13-2010, 03:22 PM
^^^Don't worry i am smarter than you.

plum556
04-13-2010, 03:56 PM
^^^Don't worry i am smarter than you.

That reply was ingenious. That really showed your intelligence level. I cannot continue to have a debate with someone who is unreasonable and showing signs of immaturity. Maybe someday after you've matured a bit, you'll be able to expand your horizons.

MethodTennis
04-13-2010, 04:49 PM

eminem? 2pac? beastie boys? rage against the machine?

MrFlip
04-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Kohlschreiber - great backhand, not bad forehand, constructs points nicely.

fed_rulz
04-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Overrated: Safin, Nalbandian, Henin, Clijsters, Gasquet, Dementieva, Haas, Berdych, Baghdatis, Graf, Navratilova, Sampras, Gonzalez, Sharapova, Coria, Rios, Sanchez Vicario

Underrated: Serena, Venus, Evert, Court, Verdasco, Federer , Laver, Kafelnikov, Jankovic, Davenport, Courier, Lendl, Connors, Becker, Ivanisevic, Rosewall, Gonzales, Muster, Kuerten, Ferrero, Sabatini, Novotna, Mandlikova

Great list. 100% agree with you. Federer does not get adequate respect, especially from nostalgia and pete-**** clowns, despite being the most accomplished player in tennis. Sampras, OTOH, is definitely overrated, evidenced from his inclusion in the GOAT-list, despite sucking badly on clay.

OJ ROD
04-14-2010, 10:32 AM

I don't hate him. I think he could do better with a lot of his songs than what he does. To me popularity does not mean quality. I didn't say YOU used him as an example.

OKUSA
04-14-2010, 10:37 AM
That reply was ingenious. That really showed your intelligence level. I cannot continue to have a debate with someone who is unreasonable and showing signs of immaturity. Maybe someday after you've matured a bit, you'll be able to expand your horizons.

why expand your horizons when you can live in your own fantasy world?

MrFlip
04-14-2010, 02:46 PM
Kohlschreiber - great backhand, not bad forehand, constructs points nicely.

Thank you Phil for beating Murray. BUMP