PDA

View Full Version : Best match of 2005 so far ?

joe sch
05-09-2005, 07:31 AM
Yesterdays Rome Final between Nadal & Coria was quite battle for the history books for many reasons including it being Nadals 3 strait title and 17th strait victory. It ofcourse got very little coverage in the US :( Im sure many feel it was the best match of 2005 and surely a choice between the AO SF between Safin & Federer. What do you all think ?

Rafa Nadal
05-09-2005, 07:33 AM
Nadal-Hewitt @ Aussie Open

VictorS.
05-09-2005, 07:36 AM
The drama was certainly up there but to me the safin-federer match is tops...because of the sheer magnitude of the upset (grand slam tourney) and I think talent-wise, they are the two best players in tennis (assuming Safin's on his game).

Aykhan Mammadov
05-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Also Nadal-Federer Miami final, Gasquet-Nadal at Monte-Carlo were good matches. But IMHO Safin-Fed was best.

Rabbit
05-09-2005, 10:13 AM
ditto what Aykhan said.

Fedubai
05-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Federer-Safin, AO. For sure. I've watched it over and over and I never get tired of the amazing tennis and heart in this match.

ATXtennisaddict
05-09-2005, 10:29 AM
I also agree with Fed/Safin AO. I watched it 3 times already,that's 12 hours of tennis! Still not bored.

grif
05-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Federer-Safin, AO. For sure. I've watched it over and over and I never get tired of the amazing tennis and heart in this match.

Yep, totally agree. Both players produced some quite astonishing shots and there were match points on both sides.

BreakPoint
05-09-2005, 11:02 AM
I'd also add the Federer-Nadal final at the Nasdaq 100 Open. One of the most amazing comebacks this year.

lacoster
05-09-2005, 06:13 PM
It's still way to early to tell; There are three more Grand Slams left that should give plenty to talk about in the later rounds, but I have to agree with the AO semi betwn. Safin/Federer.
________
Vx 800 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_VX_800)

Docalex007
05-09-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm agreeing with most .....Safin/Fed match @ AO. I've watched it over and over again, especially the last set. The very ending was very unique also, with Federer falling as he scrambles to stay alive on that last point. Looks more like a Hollywood type movie match rather than real life match.

VictorS.
05-09-2005, 08:55 PM
The thing about that match was (fed v. safin)....nobody was expecting Federer to lose. When I heard he had lost before the actual telecast, it almost had the same vibe as when Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas. That's how shocking it was. I think everyone thought Safin had the tools to beat Federer but for him to actually come thru like that was a real surprise.

sandiegotennisboy
05-09-2005, 11:35 PM
i wish i had a tape of it, id probably watch it over and over again. not just best of the year for me so far but one of the best matches ive ever seen, period. an ultimate brain vs brawn match...though the brawn had some brains that day.

andrew_slattery
05-10-2005, 12:45 AM
I would say Safin-Federer at this years AO (semis). I was lucky enough to actually be at the match!!! Its was the best live tennis i have ever experienced.

grif
05-10-2005, 01:25 AM
The thing about that match was (fed v. safin)....nobody was expecting Federer to lose. When I heard he had lost before the actual telecast, it almost had the same vibe as when Mike Tyson lost to Buster Douglas. That's how shocking it was. I think everyone thought Safin had the tools to beat Federer but for him to actually come thru like that was a real surprise.

Yes. The boxing analogy's a good one. It was such a physically and mentally punishing match, with both players going for their shots rather than waiting for mistakes. If Fed won, he would almost certainly have collected his 5th grand slam. So many times, Fed had to make desperate lunges, whether at the baseline or at the net. He was literally being stretched to his mental and physical limit. At one point, the camera moved in fairly close to him while he was walking (think it was back to his chair) and his face was visibly shaking.

The end could not have been better scripted for Safin. He nailed a peach of a backhand down the line which literally brought Federer to his knees - I have no idea how Fed even managed to reach it!

pound cat
05-10-2005, 04:17 AM
And Safin's win had ramifications beyond just this match. It was Safin's last gasp at this Slam which had made him a two-time loser at AO, and got him into the final v. The Great `Australian Hope Hewitt..who let down his country & no doubt himself by losing. It also lead to a marriage proposal and a pregnancy. Wow, what a match.

johnmcc516
05-10-2005, 04:24 AM
I missed the AO, but the best match I have seen was the Federer Nadal match at Pacific Life.

westside
05-13-2005, 12:40 AM
Im a huge fan of Hewitt and Nadal. Their match at the 4th round of the AO was one of my favourite match

VamosRafa
05-13-2005, 10:47 AM
The Tennis Channel is going to rebroadcast some of the best matches lately. here's their schedule:

Monday (May 16) - Telecom Italia Masters Roma (WTA) 8:00 PM EST. Finals followed by
Master Series Hamburg (ATP) Finals
Tuesday (May 17) - Telecom Italia Masters Roma (ATP) 8:00 PM EST. Finals: R. Nadal vs. G. Coria
Wednesday (May 18) - Telecom Italia Masters Roma (ATP) 8:00 PM EST. Finals: A. Roddick vs. F. Verdasco
Thursday (May 19) - Qatar Total German Open (WTA) 8:00 PM EST. Finals: J. Henin-Hardenne vs. N. Petrova
Friday (May 20) - Masters Series Hamburg (ATP) 8:00 PM EST. Finals. Followed by Telecom Italia Masters Roma (ATP) 8:00 PM EST. R. Gasquet vs. R. Federer

And BTW, the Nadal/Coria match may not have happened at all, if Rafa didn't stop watching his friend in his F1 race. From Bob Larson Tennis:

Nadal Almost Disqualified From Rome Final For Watching F1

At the beginning of the Rome final, Guillermo Coria was ready to go out on court, but was waiting for Rafa. He was pacing, and looking quite annoyed. No one seemed to know what was causing the delay.

Why Rafa was late in coming out of the locker room? He was watching a Formula 1 race featuring Spaniard Fernando Alonso. On Spanish TV, they showed Rafa watching the race. He wasn't able to finish watching it, and missed the last five laps. Apparently he was told that if he didn't go out on court right away, he was going to be disqualified.