PDA

View Full Version : The University of Texas at Tyler

timm
04-12-2010, 08:20 PM
hi guys, does anyone have any info and knowledge about university of texas at tyler? they compete in ncaa DIII. thanks :)

tennis08tarheels
04-12-2010, 08:45 PM
My hometown is Tyler, Texas. What would you like to know?

The men have a perennial top 20 program but are in the middle of a down year, they're probably just outside the top 30 right now. Good, fairly new facilities (eight lighted courts, I used to hit there all the time).

timm
04-12-2010, 08:55 PM
So their prgram is top 20 in DIII or the nation?

How do they do in their conference?

Do they make nationals?

Do they travel out of state to play other teams? I know about Cali, but do they have others?

How often do they train?

Their facilities seem pretty good for DIII.

Thanks for the reply

tennis08tarheels
04-13-2010, 08:14 AM
Here's (http://www.uttyler.edu/athletics/tennis/schedule.html)their schedule (it's a combined M/W schedule so make sure you only look at the men's matches).

Top 20 in the nation. They spent all of last year around #12-16 before dropping to #20 after they were upset in their first NCAA match. UT Tyler doesn't play in a very competitive conference and they're pretty much heavily favored to win every year and advance to the NCAA tournament. If you want a super-competitive conference with lots of out-of-state travel, look into some SCAC schools, they have 3 top 30 teams (Trinity, DePauw and Rhodes) and a few others that are very solid.

Trinity (TX) is a very good SCAC program, #16 in the last ITA rankings. They play a tougher schedule than Tyler, although both made trips to California this year. They're playing a few juniors so that could be a good situation for you if you're a HS senior this year.

Anything else, just let me know.

timm
04-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Yeah i noticed they dominate their conference pretty easily.

Do you know how UT Tyler are at academics? Nationally ranked?

I will take a look at SCAC. Do you know much about UAA?

So how would I know how good a program is?

tennis08tarheels
04-13-2010, 11:14 AM
I never really looked at any in-state colleges, so I don't know a great deal about Tyler's academics. It's very easy to get into. I know that they pretty much always have full scholarships for valedictorians. My sister got a ton of scholarship money at UT Tyler because of her SAT score. I don't know how good they are about getting academic scholarships for athletes.

I obviously know about Wash U, Emory, Carnegie, and Chicago (all top 15 teams). I don't know exactly how good the middle and bottom teams of the conference are. Case Western and Brandeis have competitive programs, but I wouldn't think that anyone outside those top 4 teams will be making the NCAAs anytime in the next 5 years. Because of the screwed-up NCAA tournament setup, Chicago (ranked #14) is likely going to end up on the outside of the tournament.

It all depends on what you want from your college tennis experience. You won't get to play for a Wash U or Emory unless you're already at an extremely high level of tennis. Those teams are full of DI players.

weezy
04-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey,
I am actually a player at UT Tyler, I'd be happy to help you with any specific questions you have with the school and the team. What's your name?

timm
04-13-2010, 07:00 PM
I never really looked at any in-state colleges, so I don't know a great deal about Tyler's academics. It's very easy to get into. I know that they pretty much always have full scholarships for valedictorians. My sister got a ton of scholarship money at UT Tyler because of her SAT score. I don't know how good they are about getting academic scholarships for athletes.

I obviously know about Wash U, Emory, Carnegie, and Chicago (all top 15 teams). I don't know exactly how good the middle and bottom teams of the conference are. Case Western and Brandeis have competitive programs, but I wouldn't think that anyone outside those top 4 teams will be making the NCAAs anytime in the next 5 years. Because of the screwed-up NCAA tournament setup, Chicago (ranked #14) is likely going to end up on the outside of the tournament.

It all depends on what you want from your college tennis experience. You won't get to play for a Wash U or Emory unless you're already at an extremely high level of tennis. Those teams are full of DI players.

This might sound like a dumb question but how do they choose which teams play in nationals? How many teams play?

timm
04-13-2010, 07:01 PM
Hey,
I am actually a player at UT Tyler, I'd be happy to help you with any specific questions you have with the school and the team. What's your name?

Hi weezy, how often does the team train? I know you dominate your conference, is the level of tennis there still competitive at the conference? Also, what gear do you guys wear? :P

tennis08tarheels
04-13-2010, 07:12 PM
This might sound like a dumb question but how do they choose which teams play in nationals? How many teams play?

I'm just going to copy and paste an email I got explaining this same question to me:

The D3 selection process consists of Pool A, B and C.

The field is 42 teams for 2010. Pool A has 27 teams qualifying, these are teams who win their conference and these conference have been approved by the NCAA to get autobids. Pool B consists of teams who are considered Independents in Men's Tennis and this Pool is traditionally very weak, but has 9 bids. The only top 30 team in this pool is UC Santa Cruz and this is my problem with the current NCAA Selection process.

Pool C has 6 bids and these are for teams who don't win their conference. You'll be seeing teams from NESCAC, UAA, SCIAC and SCAC here. Pretty much no one else. The past 2 years, the team who was #15 in the country did not make the tournament because of the selection process.

In D3, the NCAA is all about giving everyone a fair chance versus getting the strongest field for the tournament. I personally think Pools B and C should be merged and get 15 bids but I've been told the selection process isn't changing any time soon.

I refer to Pool C all the time because it's ultra competitive and 1 bad loss can ruin a team's chances of making the tournament. You've got teams like Emory and Amherst who qualified through Pool C last year. They finished 2nd and 3rd in the country. A team like Chicago has never been ranked out of the top 25 in the past 4 years but they've never made the tournament. The teams in these tough conference need to be incredibly consistent throughout the season if they want to take part in post-season play and it's just not fair in my opinion.

If you're looking at playing D3 tennis, here's a must-read blog for you.
D3 Tennis (http://d3tennis.blogspot.com/)

Any more questions, just let me know!

timm
04-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Thats interesting, now I understand it a bit more. How do they decide which teams make pool c?

So UT Tyler will always make nationals as they win their conference every year.

tennisjon
04-15-2010, 08:02 PM
There is a selection committee that makes the decision. As for the pools, it is hard to get in without an automatic bid. We (Drew University) our old conference 7 straight years, but the AQ was only in effect our last year. We got to host the first 3 rounds. The next 2 years we won our new conference, but conferences must exist for 2 years to get the AQ. Unfortunately, we were not selected as part of pool B for schools who win their conferences but their conferences are not eligible. If we win it for the 10th straight year this year (2nd longest conference win streak without a loss in the country), we will be back in pool A.