PDA

View Full Version : Need advice : Going to New York soon

Saito
05-09-2005, 09:07 AM
My 8 year anniversary is coming up, and because my g/f wanted to go to New York, I decided to take her there for a week. Well, I noticed that there are quite a few people on these boards that are from there and I was wondering if any of you guys can help me out by telling me places I could go or things to do that no travel site(only a local) could tell me what to do. Well I heard some locals aren't too friendly with tourists(I hope that's not true.... I think I'm a pretty cool tourist :D). But yeah, here's a list of things I'm looking for:

1) A really good restaurant - location, dress req., type of food
2) Date spots
3) Arthur Ashe Stadium - (Being from TX, I won't see it much and I'd like to go take a look even though nothing is going on there)
4) Places to take her shopping :(

I'll probably think of more things to ask, but that's all off the top of my head now. Again, I appreciate any help and wanna thank anyone who reads this beforehand.

Regards,
Saito

MegacedU
05-09-2005, 12:41 PM
I'll help you!! And good plan avoiding the locals, they're too busy and most wont even answer you. But before I get started, I must first advice you to attempt to get into Suite 16. It's pretty big hot spot. Chances are it'll be too packed to get in SO in any event you could always go eat someplace. I don't really know what kind of food you like but there's some pretty good stuff on 32nd street's main section. If you're in the Madison Square Garden area go ahead and try Nick and Stef's. It's right there. It's a steakhouse. Wear nice jeans or casual Kahkis. Other than that avoid eating near MSG. There's a little Mexican place on 50th and Lexington if you like that. It's a pretty fun atmosphere, laid back, and a [kind of] central location. A friend has an appartment on Lex. and it's pretty easy to get a cab. If all else fails go for the TGI friday's in Time's square.

I can't really advise you on date spots, it depends on what you guys like to do. There's someplace...ugh I wish i could remember the name - that has tennis courts on the rooftop. That'd be kinda fun.

AND finally - my favorite, the shopping dude.
Definitely hit up 5th ave. There's a lot of good shops there. Hit up Tiffany's, Bloomingdales, Barney's 5th ave, And Sak's fifth ave. You'll also see a "Strawberry" near Grand Central station, the place has cheap clothes, but they're cute. Definitely go to the Soho region. It's more expensive but they have some really cool (different) stuff. There's a Lacoste in Soho, one on Madison, and of course one on fifth ave too. THEN you're gunna go ahead and take a stroll to Chinatown. It's a freakin sketchfest but if your gf wants one of those immitation or "fell off the back of the truck aka stolen" designer purses (coach, LV, Dior, etc etc) Go into any given shop and ASK for them. The good ones are NEVER on display (cuz the stolen ones are uhhh illegal to sell but they'll have a bunch of them in black duffel bags. The shopkeeper will empty them out and she'll pick the one she likes. IF you want a fake watch, go ahead into Battery park. Don't go there after dark but approach and random sketchy person with a briefcase and they'll supply you well. Good luck, I hope you have a good time.

Btw, where are you staying? I hope I totally didn't steer you polar oppositely from where you're staying. But then again, you're there for a week.

Exile
05-09-2005, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't approach sketchy people, but I think meg knows what she is doing.

Just never ever drop your guard, but that applies to life.

MegacedU
05-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Good advice. I mean don't be like heyy buddy what's up, I got my Mercedes over there. Just go up and be like hey man, do you know what TIME it is?

Exile
05-09-2005, 05:58 PM
Pretty woman has the lingo down!

Power Game
05-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Why do some people think that people from nyc are mean/rowdy/disrespectful? WE ARE NOT... we are just a group of diverse people with mixed cultures...

Exile
05-09-2005, 06:08 PM
There wouldn't be stereotypes if they weren't true somewhere.

Well honestly, do you go up to strangers asking if they have stolen items?

If you do, you surely take precautions aroudn people you don't know, because you don't know what they are packing.

MegacedU
05-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Power game, Unfortunately some people are even more stuck up than me and wont even answer a very lost tourist no less, give them two seconds of their time to steer them in the right direction. But ya know, there are thousands of others who would not only give you the time of day, they'd give you directions and 5 good places to eat there too.

Power Game
05-09-2005, 06:12 PM
There wouldn't be stereotypes if they weren't true somewhere.

Well honestly, do you go up to strangers asking if they have stolen items?

If you do, you surely take precautions aroudn people you don't know, because you don't know what they are packing.

Yeah, but do you go around and say "yo man, hold my wallet for me, I'll be right back" anywhere? Common sense applies everywhere, not just in ny. Sometimes it seems that people think you only need it when you go to ny.

Power Game
05-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Power game, Unfortunately some people are even more stuck up than me and wont even answer a very lost tourist no less, give them two seconds of their time to steer them in the right direction. But ya know, there are thousands of others who would not only give you the time of day, they'd give you directions and 5 good places to eat there too.

Yeah, I hate people who come up to me with their tourist hats, bags, and camera around thier necks. But if you don't act/look like a tourist I'm cool with that. Just along as they don't ask where the empire state bldg is when we're on 34th and madison...

MegacedU
05-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Hahahaha. Right. I especially dislike tourists who don't speak English and then get frustrated when I ask them to repeat. I mean I don't mind helping but please help me to help you. I don't even live in the CITY, but I know it like the back of my right hand. I may as well live there. I will when I go to college.

Phil
05-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Well I heard locals aren't too friendly with tourists(I hope that's not true.... I think I'm a pretty cool tourist :
Regards,
Saito

Ya-yah. Y'all from Texas, and we know that dem New Yorkas 'r a strange bunch-why, dey's not even American, most of 'em, accor'n to my un'cal. I mean, ya got yer Ji-yus, and dem dere Blacks, and Spanish-type of people (at least they LOOK Spanish or Meks-can) runnin' aroun...not ta menshun yer Indians (the ones from India, not the Red Man), 'n very few REAL Amer-cuns. I mean, I HERD dat dey's just as soon SHOOT you as look at you, so ferget 'bout askin' fer die-rek-shuns, ya hear?

Stereotypes? Watch too much "Law & Order", Saito? From a NYC resident (who no longer resides there)-take your stereotypes and stick 'em where the sun don't shine. I found New Yorkers to be some of the most helpful people there are in directing tourists, and I always did my best to help visitors, even personally directing them to their destination, when practical (and I didn't even steal their wallets or bags! Surprise Surprise!!!). New Yorkers may treat EACH OTHER like garbage, but not visitors. You'll see-and then you'll shut up with the bad information. Only, well, yes, a number of store clerks are quite unfriendly...

Power Game
05-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Stereotypes? Watch too much "Law & Order", Saito? From a NYC resident (who no longer resides there)-take your stereotypes and stick 'em where the sun don't shine.

Exactly, thank you.

Exile
05-09-2005, 08:02 PM
n00b.
I don't really think that first paragraph was necessary.

You havn't seen any of us use that kind of language to mock the other cultures why would you start?

Phil
05-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Because, Exile, you don't NEED to SAY it...this is the kind of stuff I have actually HEARD, maybe not in the bad generic Texas accent-could be in any accent. It's parody, and it's based on accurate perceptions of NYC from "The Heartland" (i.e. anywhere else in N. America, including Upstate NY). Sometimes we get sick of the b.s. that is crammed down people's throats by OTHER people who have no idea what they're talking about-apparently, from my reading of the above posts-you fall into one of those two categories.

Exile
05-09-2005, 08:12 PM
Judgment should not be cast by beings of this mortal plane.
For people who flaunt their power disappear when the truely powerful make themselves known.

Capt. Willie
05-09-2005, 08:25 PM
I know I'm drifting off topic but I hate when I tell people I'm originally from New York and they all seem to think that means NYC. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've been asked: "did you live on the 90th floor?", "did you ride the subway every day?" "did you ever get mugged?" And when I tell them "NO, I'm from upstate New York" they look dumbfounded like I just made that up....farms in New York? Yeah right, we're not that dumb. (Okay, my rant is over...go back to your NY advice subject.)

Phil
05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Judgment should not be cast by beings of this mortal plane.
For people who flaunt their power disappear when the truely powerful make themselves known.

Which is why you've basically "disappeared" from this discussion (other than cribbing from some bibical-sounding source). You just couldn't handle it.

Exile
05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
Here's the funny thing about mugging, it can happen anywhere.

Capt. Willie
05-09-2005, 08:30 PM
Here's the funny thing about mugging, it can happen anywhere.True, but there's nothing funny about it. :)

Exile
05-09-2005, 08:38 PM
Which is why you've basically "disappeared" from this discussion (other than cribbing from some bibical-sounding source). You just couldn't handle it.

Handle what?
There's nothing to handle.

I never said anything other than to carry common sense and to keep one's guard up.
Never have I said anything about nyc and its stereotypes.
I mentioned the word stereotype because of what power game had said. Nowhere have I said that I believe in NYC sterotypes, I only said that stereotypes exist for a reason, because it is an ignorant judgment on society's part.

Do not accuse me of not being able to handle anything.
I do not wish to continue such an ignorant conversation, I suggest we leave it at this.

Phil
05-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Handle what?
There's nothing to handle.

I never said anything other than to carry common sense and to keep one's guard up.
Never have I said anything about nyc and its stereotypes.
I mentioned the word stereotype because of what power game had said. Nowhere have I said that I believe in NYC sterotypes, I only said that stereotypes exist for a reason, because it is an ignorant judgment on society's part.

Do not accuse me of not being able to handle anything.
I do not wish to continue such an ignorant conversation, I suggest we leave it at this.

You suggested quite a lot. But yes...run along now. While you're at it, buy yourself a couple more shotguns, because, obviously, you're going to need them for the next time you visit NYC.

Exile
05-09-2005, 09:07 PM
And you still continue.
There is no point to continue, such sarcasm is not needed.

Phil
05-09-2005, 09:16 PM
Sarcasm? No way. Anyone from "The Land of Hellfire and Brimstone" should understand that NYC is a few sub-basements BELOW Hell. Forget about shotguns. Check aisle 8 for FLAMETHROWERS and RPG launchers. Them muggers is MIGHTY mean. Righteously so...

Hey, wasn't it in Tejas a few years back that that gang of upstanding town citizens roped a black man to the back of a pick-up truck and just giddy upped to around 60 mph? Yes, there have been a couple horrible incidents in NYC too, in the 80's and early 90's, like Howard Beach, but dang...them boys down there really know how to PAR-TÈ. But I digress...sorry.

Exile
05-09-2005, 09:21 PM
<sarcasm> I'm so sure Texas is the only place that has had hate crimes occur within the past few years.</sarcasm>

Phil
05-09-2005, 09:48 PM
No, you're right, Exile. Hate is not confined by state boundries. However, let me put it to you this way: objectively, out of the following cities, in which city are you LESS likely to be a victim of a violent crime?

A. Houston
B. New York City
C. Dallas/Ft. Worth
D. San Antonio
E. El Paso
F. Amarillo

I'll leave it to you to complete the questionaire.

matchpoints
05-10-2005, 01:38 AM
Ya-yah. Y'all from Texas, and we know that dem New Yorkas 'r a strange bunch-why, dey's not even American, most of 'em, accor'n to my un'cal. I mean, ya got yer Ji-yus, and dem dere Blacks, and Spanish-type of people (at least they LOOK Spanish or Meks-can) runnin' aroun...not ta menshun yer Indians (the ones from India, not the Red Man), 'n very few REAL Amer-cuns. I mean, I HERD dat dey's just as soon SHOOT you as look at you, so ferget 'bout askin' fer die-rek-shuns, ya hear?

Stereotypes? Watch too much "Law & Order", Saito? From a NYC resident (who no longer resides there)-take your stereotypes and stick 'em where the sun don't shine. I found New Yorkers to be some of the most helpful people there are in directing tourists, and I always did my best to help visitors, even personally directing them to their destination, when practical (and I didn't even steal their wallets or bags! Surprise Surprise!!!). New Yorkers may treat EACH OTHER like garbage, but not visitors. You'll see-and then you'll shut up with the bad information. Only, well, yes, a number of store clerks are quite unfriendly...

Phil, how did you get all that from "Well I heard locals aren't too friendly with tourists..."?

"take your stereotypes and stick 'em where the sun don't shine."
which stereotypes did he mention?There's a difference between something that can be applied to any city/state/people vs something you're implying which is stereotyping a particular race/culture. Local people in general can be unfriendly to tourists. I don't see where he made any cultural or racial stereotype remarks. Do you?

Btw, you're reply was very rude and uncalled for.

I'm planning on going to New York this summer myself as well, and hopefully I won't run into people with your attitude.

Camilio Pascual
05-10-2005, 04:11 AM
It's parody, and it's based on accurate perceptions of NYC from "The Heartland" (i.e. anywhere else in N. America, including Upstate NY).

I've watched "Midnight Cowboy", all of Martin Scorcese's movies, and all of the "Law and Order" series, so I know all I need to know and am well qualified to present accurate perceptions of NYC from The Heartland.

Power Game
05-10-2005, 04:36 AM
I know I'm drifting off topic but I hate when I tell people I'm originally from New York and they all seem to think that means NYC.

Well new york is nyc and the rest is well upstate ny :D

tennis-n-sc
05-10-2005, 05:17 AM
Phil, what has happened to you in your life that has caused you to be so bitter, judgemental and caustic. Lighten up a little, man. Just a little note here, people from Texas don't talk like that. They do wear t-shirts that say "Don't Mess With Texas" and they mean it.

Saito
05-10-2005, 06:06 AM
Megacedu
Thanks alot for your input... didn't mean to offend you in anyway (did I because I can't recall but one line.... and that was because I guess my friend was unlucky enough to have met some rude people). Therefore, that WAS the reason I was asking because I have simply met some nice people on these boards and was thinking that it was cool to ask about THINGS TO DO IN NEW YORK rather than get into a debate on its citizens. To answer your question, I think we're either staying @ Hilton Times Square or Waldorf..... haven't decided yet. She definitely wants to go to Soho from some shopping. Oh yeah, what do you recommend as far as getting around?? Should I take cabs, walk around, or hit the subway?

PowerGame
I think I may have said one thing, and only said it because of a friend's word-of-mouth.... but hey, sorry if you took any offense because this wasn't a post bashing NYC people.

Davi
Dude, it's cool. That guy isn't even worth questioning. Don't sweat it man. Appreciate the back up though, but I don't think it's necessary in this instance. :D We'll just leave that stuff for the next time we're out together @ the bar or something.

Ah well, I guess surfing the net it is.......

Steve F.
05-10-2005, 06:55 AM
Hey Saito -
I'm sure you guys will have a great time. A great city to be in, and to be in love in.
With NYC, it's best to do a bit ofresearch, figure out things you'd like to do. Best advice is get out of Times Square and midtown. This is the heavily touristed area, and you'll find the highest prices to the worst food and biggest crowds there.
Big question, and Meg asked already, is where are you staying?
Some tips:
Chocolate #1 - For a great little date, over hot chocolate that will change your life, go to Maison du Chocolat, on the Upper East Side, Madison and 68th I think. There's a tiny cafe in the back, $6 a cup but worth it's weight in gold. There's two types, I love the slightly bitter one.
Chocolate #2 - Mariebelle in Soho, on Broome (btwn Broadway and Wooster) mariebelle.com Not as good as Maison (but almost), but downtown, with a latin flair, a cafe and a sweet vibe.
Crepes: Le Gamin, in Chelsea, 9th ave and 21st street. legamin.com goat cheese crepes and a bottle of wine, or sweet crepes and a huge bowl of cafe au lait, mmm.
Sushi: Tomoe, in the village, near Thompson and Houston. Packed, fresh, and delicious. Standard operating procedure is to show up early, 6:30, or be prepared to wait on line outside. (btw, everybody here says wait "on line" not "in line" -- easiest way to spot a tourist.
Lupa is right next to it, Italian trattoria, one of Mario Battali's places, good luck getting a table. if you're early there, they'll seat up front right away, or you can wait outside til one frees up.
Ice cream - Il laboratorio del Gelato, on Lower East Side orchard street. They close early, 5 or 6 pm, but have flavors like toasted sesame and lavendar as well as the usual. Otherwise, try Ciao Bella on Mott, btwn Houston and Prince. (And it's said HOWSTON, not like the city in Texas).
Pizza - John's Pizzeria, on Bleeker, great coal oven pizza, Wooden booths, laid back. the best imo.
Chinatown isn't sketchy at all, I go for dim sum all the time. I agree it can be bewildering to see so many people, but if you know where to go, you'll get great food cheap. Ping's for dimsum, on Mott. You sit family style with a bunch of others at your table, and they come around with steam carts of amazing stuff. cheap too.
Japanese Noodle bar - Momo***o on First Avenue (10th Street), East Village. Very hip. Sweet lord, the pork here is out of this world. Pork buns, pork ramen. of so good, and good sake list as well.
Tapas - Tia Pol, in Chelsea. 22nd and 9th. Love this place, dark, superb food, not too pricey, great date spot. Awesome spanish wine.
Oh yeah -- also Katz's deli, on LES - featured in When Harry Met Sally, Meg fakes an ...oo, oooo, OOOOO... there. Get a pastrami sandwich and wash it down with a Cel-Ray soda.
Tons more places I could tell you about. Post more info on what type of food you'd like to check out and I'll steer you.
Must see - go to the Met, greatest collection of art in the world.
Moma as well, steep $20 price shouldn't deter you from checking out the massive and complete collection here as well. Basically, all the paintings you've ever heard about? They're in these two places (except for the Mona Lisa) --
Walk in Central park, it's huge and beautiful in spring, and there's 22 tennis courts up near 93rd Street.
Ashe stadium - you can actually play tennis there, so contact them, and bring your racquet, but beware, it's out of the way.
Check out the subway maps
here (http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm)

Steve F.
05-10-2005, 07:00 AM
LOL, the noodle bar got nabbed by a filter. m o m o f u k o

Get two weekly metro cards (like, $20 each) gives you unlimited access to the subways. If you're out late, that's when you take a cab home.

Geezer Guy
05-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Saito,

No one else has commented about having the same G/F for 8 (EIGHT?!?) years, so I won't mention it either. (ha ha)

Anyway, my wife and I went to NY for 5 days during the Open last fall, and had a GREAT time. We stayed at the Plaza Hotel, which is right across the street from Central Park. You can spend several hours wandering through CP, and still not see it all. We zig-zagged between 5th and 7th from 34th (I think) up to about 85th avenue. That's a LOT of walking, and there are lots of shops along the way. My wife didn't buy much - she thought the prices were very high - but she enjoyed looking at everything. We walked almost everywhere, and occasionally took taxi's or those little bicycle-pulled-cart things. The food EVERYWHERE is GREAT. Jeez - if you like bagels and coffee (which I do) you'll be in heaven. There are little restaurants and coffee shops everywhere - it's nice to get away from all the chain's.

At any rate - I got a bit off-track here. My original reason for posting was just to say that almost everyone we ran into was nice. I don't recall talking with anyone that was outright rude. Some people were VERY nice, and some seemed in a bit of a rush, but no one was actually rude.

I'd been to NYC a number of times on business, but this was my first time as a tourist. It was very pleasant, and I'm hoping to return in the future. You guys should have a good time. It seems to me like two weeks is a LONG time though. Maybe you'd want to plan a day-trip or two outside the city?

Dedans Penthouse
05-10-2005, 07:56 AM
Start spreadin' the muse...."

You want N.Y.C.? Katz' Deli (get the pastrami on rye). At that point, you can then just die and go to heaven, or:

You want some "homespun" (Texas/Southwestern)?
--Agave on 7th S.
--Miracle Bar & Grill on Bleeker St.
--Rodeo Bar on 3rd Ave. (food=OK, but usually has decent live music)
--Radio Mexico (good "view" under the Brooklyn Bridge--Manhattan side--top edge of South Street Seaport. Take her there for the view).
--Bank at Cowgirl at 10th St. and Bleeker (good food!)
OVERRATED (imho): Mustang Grill, Mesa Grill

You want Southern?
-- B. Smith's (midtown at 46th St.; a bit $$$, but it's "evolved" soul food if you will).
--Miss Mamie's Spoonbread Too on W. 110th St. (off Manhattan Ave.)
--Comfort Food on W. 57th St. (If you're going to stay in midtown and you want to save some bucks and just hang out and eat, this is a pretty good "hush-hush" tip, because aside from the good food, Comfort Food also does a pretty serious "takeout" so if you want to save some bucks--and sneak it back to your room, ha!--Comfort Food is a good "kitchen pantry").
OVERRATED: Soul Cafe

You want Chinese?
--Ten Pel in the Bowery (real....that is, REAL.....Chinese food).

You want Pizza? You're in N.Y.C. and you DON'T want pizza? If so, seek professional help. Otherwise:
--John's on Bleeker St. (between 6th & 7th Av.)
--Grimaldi's in B'klyn
--Patsy's 1st Ave. in East Harlem (I think it's 117 or 118th St.)

You want a "nice restaurant?"
--Gotham Bar and Grill on E. 17th.

You a health freak?
--Pure Food & Wine at Irving Place

You want music? Grab a Village Voice and read the listings. Too many joints to list. You want "dinosaurs" from the past? B.B. King Blues Club (midtown). Btw, James Brown is coming outta the shadows to play there tomorrow night. Check venues such as Irving Plaza, Hammerstein Ballroom as they are venues that will have "name" acts playing without the arena/stadium hassels (sound-wise and other-wise).

You want to "hang?"
--Suite 16 was previously mentioned. Hmmm...I respectfully disagree. Combination of too many self-conscious little "slick Guido" or "Dalton School" bratty type of guys and way too many SELF-CONSCIOUS "one-trick" Tori Spelling wannabe's (smirk!). Imho, a better alternative would be Bungalow 8 on 27th (not quite as "h o m o g e n o u s" a crowd if you get my drift, i.e. the door people will let in a more varied group besides the pretentious "where's the nearest mirror?/Look at Me!!..I demand that you look at ME!!"types). ;-) It is a classic joint (provided you have the looks) to employ the old-reliable "ignore to score" gameplan (wink!). But then again, you're gonna be with your girlfriend, so that point is moot. However (for your reading amusement), the following is a conversation you'll often hear at places such as Suite 16:

"ME...Blah...blah...blah....I, I, I....blah...blah...blah.....But enough about me, let's talk about YOU..... what do YOU think of MY DRESS?!" :-)
Summary:
If you're totally into yourself? Suite 16 and PM Lounge.
If people are into you? Bungalow 8.
Want quiet no-pretense place to grab a drink? Gaslight
Want to dance to a great sound system (and possibly be entertained by a "freak show" of queens who dream in flying machines?): Crobar (still...)

Oh one other thing: as Phil suggested, bring a concealed weapon and whatever you do, don't ask me for directions......I just might go out of my way to help you and your little yellow rose of Texas. ;-)

One LAST "other" thing: to get to Arthur Ashe stadium, go to Grand Central Station and go "downstairs" and catch the No. 7 Flushing train. Take it to the Willets Point/Shea Stadium station. Arthur Ashe stadium is "across-the-street" from Shea.

MegacedU
05-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Megacedu
Oh yeah, what do you recommend as far as getting around?? Should I take cabs, walk around, or hit the subway?

I forgot to mention the fact that you should go to the Met (call it that and you'll sound cooler contrary to The Metrolpolitan Museum of Art) Or if you're not into that, at least climb the steps and take a picture.

And from that other guy's post I have to second the Gelato. You've gottttta try that. So good. It's made with cream not milk so it's soo rich and mmm.

Now, to answer your question. I would use a combination of all three. Cabs can be pretty scary at times. The driver's are a little insane but they're effective. They can also get expensive as you sit in traffic. I'd advise taking them at NIGHT when you're going to dinner and your date has on cute little kitten heels. As for walking around, I'd pick a region you want to stay in (like the upper east - walk to the met, 5th ave shopping, etc etc. Then, when you want to completely change sections, take the subway....during the day. I wouldn't...suggest per se....taking the subway at night, it can get a little sketchy. But if you do, remember your hand sanitizer, the railings are filthy. Walking around at night is good too. Since the weather's getting nicer now, it might be kinda nice to walk around outside even at night, take in all the lights and excitement. I wouldn't take the bus...at all if it can be avoided. Hope that helps.

Power Game
05-10-2005, 03:34 PM
PowerGame
I think I may have said one thing, and only said it because of a friend's word-of-mouth.... but hey, sorry if you took any offense because this wasn't a post bashing NYC people.

dude, no worries, I don't even know what was said or even if it was you or not, just alot of people think about people from nyc a certain way, maybe it was my fault bringing it up. anyway, no offense taken at all, have fun with your trip and tell us how it went. :D

how this turned into a fight, i don't know...

MegacedU
05-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Bungalow 8 is a good one too, precisely the other club I was thinking of but couldn't actually THINK of.

Dance to a great sound system? The sound factory - as well. Maybe not as...clean per se. But cool nonetheless.

Dedans had some great picks including the pizza choices and "nice restaurant". Between the advice from the two of us and that other guy, you should be set for the week.

Phil
05-10-2005, 08:30 PM
I've watched "Midnight Cowboy", all of Martin Scorcese's movies, and all of the "Law and Order" series, so I know all I need to know and am well qualified to present accurate perceptions of NYC from The Heartland.

Camilio - Those are good ones, but to round out your NYC knowledge, you'll need to view (or re-view) "The Warriors" and "Escape From New York" (preferably Part I). Then, you'll be totally set for your trip.

Camilio Pascual
05-11-2005, 03:28 AM
Phil - Then I'm covered. Big NYPD/Sipowicz fan, I'll use him as my behavioural model.
Darn shame my C. F. License doesn't have reciprocity in New York. Wanted to get in a little target practice on vacation. Maybe clear out a few of those dangerous tennis courts for your would-be challenger of last year. He seemed too timid for NYC.
My friends that have accompanied me say my NYC trips in the 70's & 80's were like Woody Allen movies. I could spend a month in the museums and still want more.
I might make cracks but NYC is the greatest city in history. Period.

Dedans Penthouse
05-11-2005, 08:03 AM
Camilio - Those are good ones, but to round out your NYC knowledge, you'll need to view (or re-view) "The Warriors" and "Escape From New York" (preferably Part I). Then, you'll be totally set for your trip.
Phil: There was an "extra" in the movie "The Warriors" that appeared in a scene that took place in the subway who is now a teaching tennis pro up in Westchester County. Can't name him here (will send you his "website" via e-mail).

Camilio: It has been said that when the Dutch explorer Henry Hudson's ship "The Half Moon" first came within sight of land, the ship's lookout, sitting in the crow's nest, exclaimed: "Is Stat-An Island?!" (rimshot)

Meggy-weggyacedU: Good calls yourself.....you little clubbing heartbreaker you! :-)

MegacedU
05-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Hehe. Never. ;)

Phil
05-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Camilio - Snake Pliskin sends his regards. Yeah, you remember "intense2be" or whatever-afraid of even walking PAST a subway station. As Sipowicz might say, "There's lots of SKELS in that neck of the woods."

Dedans - I'd like to meet that guy. I LOVED that flick.

MegacedU
05-11-2005, 06:07 PM
I <3 NY

I felt that was appropriate. :)

Saito
05-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Steve F., Dedans Penthouse

Thanks alot to both of you guys. You two, along with Megacedu have really been helpful with your suggestions. I was a bit worried that I might end up being stuck there without having any ideas of what to do, but because of everything you've told me it seems like there just won't be enough time. But I'll give it a shot and see what I can get done. Again, thanks alot for your help.

Camilio Pascual
05-12-2005, 06:54 AM
Camilio - Snake Pliskin sends his regards. Yeah, you remember "intense2be" or whatever-afraid of even walking PAST a subway station. As Sipowicz might say, "There's lots of SKELS in that neck of the woods."

Yes, that was the reference I was making. Much fun and everybody taking a "side" in it was entertaining.

Steve F.
05-12-2005, 07:39 AM
Steve F., Dedans Penthouse

Thanks alot to both of you guys. You two, along with Megacedu have really been helpful with your suggestions. I was a bit worried that I might end up being stuck there without having any ideas of what to do, but because of everything you've told me it seems like there just won't be enough time. But I'll give it a shot and see what I can get done. Again, thanks alot for your help.

No worries Saito -
sure you can tell from the posts, it's pretty clear the only thing you'll want more of here, is sleep --
2 last short cuts, when the weather's cooperating:
Great easy outdoor lunch in Washington Square Park -- hit Melampo Imported Foods on Sullivan (b'twn Prince and Spring), a closet sized Italian deli, with made to order focaccia sandwiches named for Fellini, Scorcese, others. I love this place, and never get the same thing - except for a limonatta (lemon soda). Then pick out a bench back up in the park, and watch the village life.
Great easy outdoor lunch in Central Park -- the Soup **** (Seinfeld), of course. Soup Kitchen International is near Columbus Circle entrance, on 55th and 8th ave., and the soup really is that good. You'll see the line first, then the tiny shop. Get your money out in advance, try not to stare too hard cause he's there, ladling out huge containers of soup, and not smiling, even as you see the generous portions of fruit and bread that come along with it. Pick out a bench in the park, and watch the runners bust a lung as they complete the 6 mile Central Park loop.
btw, if you need any last minute tips, feel free to email me at steve doott farber aaatt gmail dooott coommm and I'll get back to you --
and make sure you post how it went when you get back!

MegacedU
05-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Be sure to stop and get youself a hot dog and a can of lemonade from one of the venders. Ahh the simple things.

nyu
05-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Walk down broadway in soho and you'll find some solid shopping. You'll find Banana Republic, Lacoste, etc. You'll also find some nice places down lafayette. They just opened up a 2-story Adidas performance store that's pretty sexy, and there are also some great date restaurants down there.

Saito
05-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Steve F., Megacedu, nyu

LOL soup ****... and if I have any questions I'll definitely email you... and I definitely plan to try out the hot dogs up there (a friend of mine who had visited told me I had to have one). And I'll be in Soho for sure cause she wants to shop like crazy. :( But I am really looking forward to the trip. I may even try updating while I'm there. Thanks alot for all the help. :D

Saito
05-12-2005, 10:04 PM
I forgot to ask, but how is the weather there? Do you suggest bringing sweaters or jackets? I also read online about it being a bit rainy up there right now. Is that an accurate reading of weather (I only ask because sometimes forecasts aren't exactly on the money).

Steve F.
05-13-2005, 04:45 AM
I forgot to ask, but how is the weather there? Do you suggest bringing sweaters or jackets? I also read online about it being a bit rainy up there right now. Is that an accurate reading of weather (I only ask because sometimes forecasts aren't exactly on the money).

If you're arriving this weekend, I'd say yeah, it seems most likely there'll be some rain. I'd say plan for spring weather. Not sure what spring is like in your part of Texas, but here it means temps ranging down to mid-upper forties or low 50s at night, to upper 60's during the day, sometimes warmer. I'd bring the smallest umbrella you can find - I've got a totes I picked up along the way, I can even jam it in my back pocket if there might be rain and I'm out all day in the park. Your gf could plant one in her purse. I'd say light jackets and light sweaters. These days when I'm running around town, I've got a black hoodless softshell that I throw on over a t-shirt, if it's cooler, I'll throw on a cotton sweater or a track jacket first. Out at night, leather jacket, jeans. Lots of guys are doing the jeans and pinstripe or linen blazer thing now for a night out.
When you get here, there's a cable tv news channel devoted to NYC -- called New York 1 or NY1. Channel 1 or 98, depends -- they have pretty accurate forecasts "on the 1's." And if your room has a view of the street, you can always take a quick peek what people are wearing on the street, get an idea of what to throw on.

But weather here is usually pretty nice, lots of blue skies - it's an island off the coast of New Jersey after all, lol. My gf's aunt just visited from France with us for 10 days, not a cloud in the sky the whole time.

Oh, and by the way --- happy anniversary! My gf and I just knocked off a couple bottles of champagne for our 5th.

ps - tips: Here's 3 spots on Spring St, walking west to east.
Balthazar (Spring St, btwn B'way and Crosby) is fantastic (not a secret, this place is busy, French bistro, noisy), but they also have a take out bakery next door. You can grab a coffee, tart, etc with no wait here, but no seats.
Kin Khao, for Thai, (Spring btwn West B'way and Thompson) good whole fish, romantic, dark, fun, gets *really* packed though on weekends.
Once Upon a Tart -- it's actually on Sullivan (just off Spring, btwn Houston and Spring). A little cafe, with Great tarts, sandwiches, cookies, etc, 3 or 4 sidewalk tables. An easy place to catch a second wind.

MegacedU
05-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Bring sweaters, jackets, hoodies, ponchos, etc etc. I woke up this morning to FROST an 35 degrees. But two days ago it was 85. So bring clothing to prepare you for everything. It's been strangely sunny lately but, normally we get a lot of overcast and rain.

Saito
05-13-2005, 06:45 PM
OK thanks..... we're packed for colder weather now. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions to any good Italian restaurants. Would they be found in Little Italy (i've heard about there being a part of town like that from a friend but he can't remember if there were any good restaurants there)?

Also, any upscale (but worth it) restaurant suggestions, if there are any.... Thanks guys! :D

Steve F.
05-14-2005, 09:43 AM
Frost? You sure you're not camping Meg? ;) Hmmm, it was chilly, upper 40's at night, but not that cold in my part of Manhattan. This week it'll be mild, they say highs in mid 60's.

Saito
Please, please steer clear of Little Italy if you're looking for good food. Nuf said. Ferrara's (on Grand) for a cannoli and coffee is the closest you should come.

Try LUPA on Thompson, in the village, just off Houston. I mentioned it earlier, fantastic food, you'll be blown away. Roman trattoria, fish, meat, pastas, pastas like you died and went to Italy, everything, wine flows... you can even order small pitchers of many different wines, so you can mix it up with what you order. Just go early and line up, or call to reserve. Easier on short notice if you don't go on a weekend night. www.luparestaurant.com

Also, try Po (on Cornelia, in the village) - started by the same chef as Lupa. Again, call ahead.

also, tiny place called 'ino on Bedford, also in the village. pannini, salads and lots and lots of wine, it's a cafe really. intimate, good prices, great food. www.cafeino.com

Upscale
Gotham Bar and Grill (12th street) was mentioned, trust me, doesn't look like a bar or grill. You'll need a jacket here, and she'll need a cover, my gf froze her tootsies off in here, very chilly.
Bouley. check it out www.bouleyrestaurants.com -- you could sneak in to Bouley or Gotham for a prix fixe lunch here to avoid the big tab at night.
Union Square Cafe - 16th street, classic, not stuffy like Gotham
One of the most romantic spots is Cafe des Artistes (upper west side 67th street), we haven't been there, heard it's great, gorgeous. www.cafenyc.com

Saito
05-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks yet again Steve. Bouley sounds promising. I think we may try that place out. Man, I'm pretty psyched about going. We leave tomorrow morning and will be in town and checked in by 4 PM. Thinking about going to the Laugh Factory... couple of my friends went when they were in town and said it was pretty good. :D

MegacedU
05-14-2005, 12:35 PM
I second Steve's advice. Little Italy might be misleading when it comes to food. You're better off with LUPA.

Just another restaurant recommendation: At Park Avenue Cafe, they're having this offer of pay your age where you, amazingly, pay a dollar for however many years you have (I don't know how old you are, but if you're fairly young, it might come out being relatively cheap.) It starts at 8:30 and you get to pick an appetizer, entree, and dessert. The food's not bad and it's kinda cute.

I don't LIVE in Manhattan (upstate a touch), but I know it like the back of my hand because I'm always there for one this or another. Usually found lurking in the Upper East Side around 5th Ave with twenty shopping bags in tow sorting through the fabulous things at Barneys.

Steve F.
05-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks yet again Steve. Bouley sounds promising. I think we may try that place out. Man, I'm pretty psyched about going. We leave tomorrow morning and will be in town and checked in by 4 PM. Thinking about going to the Laugh Factory... couple of my friends went when they were in town and said it was pretty good. :D

Haven't been to laugh factory, but don't forget David Letterman - when one of my brothers came in to town, we showed up and got seated in the third row, had a blast -- might want to check with your concierge on the ticket getting process....

Also - TKTS - an orange and white booth in Times Square - is your best bet for same day tickets to anything on Broadway. Steep discounts, and worth the wait in line --

ENJOY!

Usually found lurking in the Upper East Side around 5th Ave with twenty shopping bags in tow sorting through the fabulous things at Barneys ...So that was you! upstate, in town, no worries, we all love NY! ;)

acedu
05-19-2005, 12:10 PM
NYC to the fullest

MegacedU
05-19-2005, 12:13 PM
Acedu, that was the post of the year.

Saito
08-12-2005, 08:46 PM
I know this thread has been dead for quite a while now, but I just recently moved and it took forever to get some kind of internet connection going. But the reason I was dragging this topic back up was to properly thank steve, meg, dedans, nyu and all else who were helpful for giving me sound advice and aiding in my wonderful trip to NY. It's a great city to visit for sure, and if I can gather up any more free time, I may show some shots of my trip. Thanks again guys!!

Andy Hewitt
08-13-2005, 12:16 AM
I guess back to hell for you.

MegacedU
08-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Glad you had fun.