PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

timm
04-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Hey guys, I know you probably come across a lot of people posting their videos and getting advice and might be bored of it but just bear with me.

I am mainly looking at DIII schools with a few DI and DII's.

SAT scores are: Maths- 720, CR- 550, W-610

Finish high school in Australia in November 2010, so looking to join uni's in fall 2011.

About to commence the recruiting process.

Any tips and comments will be useful :)

Oh and heres the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVfkhgnlBU

nadalno1
04-14-2010, 02:47 AM
Shots look good... ahh If you have like an itf or good aus ranking you could probs find a d1 college ... but i would say try looking at div2 if you dont have a ranking... im in the process of doing it atm looking to go this year... make sure you register with the ncaa clearinghouse... apart from that ... write up a good profile of yourself .. get some character references from coaches and start applying.. what state are you from??

timm
04-14-2010, 03:36 AM
Shots look good... ahh If you have like an itf or good aus ranking you could probs find a d1 college ... but i would say try looking at div2 if you dont have a ranking... im in the process of doing it atm looking to go this year... make sure you register with the ncaa clearinghouse... apart from that ... write up a good profile of yourself .. get some character references from coaches and start applying.. what state are you from??

Defs beat a ranked player in the world before though in an ITF event. Hmm i was working towards a aus ranking, had one but yeah school took over.

You from aus? or the us? Im from NSW>.

So getting references from coaches. And how would I apply?

andfor
04-14-2010, 05:57 AM
Defs beat a ranked player in the world before though in an ITF event. Hmm i was working towards a aus ranking, had one but yeah school took over.

You from aus? or the us? Im from NSW>.

So getting references from coaches. And how would I apply?

Create a resume and list your academic and tennis accomplishments and include your win at the ITF. Be sure your video has you playing some points. Ask your coaches for references and what they know about playing college tennis in the U.S. Many Aussie coaches have connections to college tennis in the U.S. or may know where to point you.

Your other option if you want to play D1 is to look at Junior Colleges. Attend and play tennis at a JC for two years then hopefully have more options to move to a D1 school after your junior year. Check the California CC system, JC's in Texas, Tyler JC and Collin County JC, in Kansas, Johnson County CC, in Mississippi, Meridian CC all have strong programs.

Check out Tennis Recruiting http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/division.asp?id=1&sessionid=0D0F301A3B686938

Good Luck

armsty
04-14-2010, 06:15 AM
Northern Beaches needs players like you guys.

timm
04-14-2010, 06:17 AM
Northern Beaches needs players like you guys.

They have quite a few good players already?

nadalno1
04-14-2010, 06:43 AM
yeh im from melb... pretty much do everything "andfor" told you as that would be your best way to go... i have been advised that JC are a good option because if you are really div 1 standard your results will show that by the end of your 2 years at JC and you will get in to div 1 no problems... im sure if you phoned tennis nsw they would have a person assigned to help players go to college as tennis victoria do ....

timm
04-14-2010, 06:49 AM
yeh im from melb... pretty much do everything "andfor" told you as that would be your best way to go... i have been advised that JC are a good option because if you are really div 1 standard your results will show that by the end of your 2 years at JC and you will get in to div 1 no problems... im sure if you phoned tennis nsw they would have a person assigned to help players go to college as tennis victoria do ....

Im mainly looking at DIII's so yeah. DI and DII are options but only if I get interest. I will call up tennis NSW and have a look.

TennisBeginner
04-14-2010, 11:56 AM
Hey timm I know this isn't really the time or place to ask this question, but you have a really nice serve and I was wondering if I could get some advice (Mine isnt very good)

tennisjon
04-15-2010, 06:56 PM
I coach at Drew University, a small, private liberal arts college near NYC. We have won our conference championships for 9 straight years and have players from Bulgaria, England, Puerto Rico, China, and Jamaica on our teams. Academically, you would fit right in and could get a decent financial aid package because of it. Just remember, at the D3 level, there are no athletic scholarships available, but because you have good SAT's, there is a lot of academic aid to be had. On a side note, my sis just moved to Melbourne from Sydney. I love it there!

timm
04-15-2010, 07:35 PM
I coach at Drew University, a small, private liberal arts college near NYC. We have won our conference championships for 9 straight years and have players from Bulgaria, England, Puerto Rico, China, and Jamaica on our teams. Academically, you would fit right in and could get a decent financial aid package because of it. Just remember, at the D3 level, there are no athletic scholarships available, but because you have good SAT's, there is a lot of academic aid to be had. On a side note, my sis just moved to Melbourne from Sydney. I love it there!

So you would be making nationals at the end of the season. But you said in your other post about being in a new conference and not being able to do that.

Have you heard of anyone being fully covered in DIII by academic scholarships?

Ah yes melb is not bad, been there for the australian open, quite good

tennisjon
04-16-2010, 03:34 AM
A conference must be in existence for 2 years to be eligible for the AQ. This is the Landmark Conference's third year, so this year we win, we are in! Our women should get in this year as well. Our #1 played in the Orange Bowl and in the Junior US Open and has gone undefeated so far. As for a complete free ride, we have never had that. One player paid around $4000 to go to school per year because of her extremely high SAT's and because of her financial need. The average person at my school gets about $17000 in financial aid. The good thing about private schools is that many have the resources to offer more aid. Of course, the financial aid at D3 has nothing to do with athletics, but athletics can get you admitted to the school in the first place.

tennisjon
04-22-2010, 03:48 AM
There is a decent overlap between D3 and many D1 and D2 programs. A misconception is that D1 means that it is the best. The divisions differ on the amount of scholarships available and academic requirements. Many D1 and D2 schools do not offer men scholarships for tennis since its not a money generating sport. Obviously, the top schools certainly do. At the D3 level we have less dates of competition and less overall practice time. The purpose is to focus more on academics. We have had some players transfer to D1 schools over the years and its a different atmosphere. They went from being the big fish in a small pond to a little fish in a big pond. Some have started and some have struggled for playing time. Its all things that you have to weigh. One thing, without question, if you ask anyone who plays my school year after year, is that they players improve significantly and we have a long tradition of winning because of this. The coaching as well as the player's buying into the philosophy of the program has made us one of the most successful programs.

verbouge
04-22-2010, 05:07 AM
George Fox University, west coast DIII school, just building up its tennis program after years in the gutter. Great new coaches. New facility being built with six indoor courts. Great academics. They'd be interested in talking to a guy like you.

Neal Ninteman and Angelo Niculescu. This team is on the rise. The school itself is already established. Excellent recruits coming in next year. Great time to get in.

Dave in Oregon