PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cortex

kcehlers
04-14-2010, 05:44 AM
What pros actually use cortex?

flashfire276
04-14-2010, 08:54 PM

Nadal doesn't. I can tell you that. He still uses the original APD under that APDGT paintjob, with a painted on Cortex System on it.

Not sure about the others.

BobFL
04-14-2010, 08:56 PM
Tsonga!

Bob

FleurDeLee
04-14-2010, 10:04 PM
I know that it's been stated over and over that Nadal doesn't use cortex. Maybe this is a naive question, but as someone who switched from the original APD to the APDC I can't really tell the difference all that much. Why is it that non of the pros use it?

jazar
04-14-2010, 10:18 PM
i think babolat likes its sponsored players to use the more up to date frames. most of their players i've strung for used cortex; i've personally only seen a few who didnt

Tennis_Crazed
04-15-2010, 02:59 AM
i think babolat likes its sponsored players to use the more up to date frames. most of their players i've strung for used cortex; i've personally only seen a few who didnt

Yup - they gotta keep the public buying new frames! Doubt any top pro who's at the top would want to change whats working for them anyways.

featherlight
04-15-2010, 03:05 AM
I think Ryan sweeting uses cortex

origmarm
04-15-2010, 04:29 AM
Yup - they gotta keep the public buying new frames! Doubt any top pro who's at the top would want to change whats working for them anyways.

Actually I've always found Babolat to be the most reasonable manufacturer on this. When they come out with a new model they seem to maintain the old lines for a while and don't drop prices dramatically.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
04-15-2010, 06:13 AM
roddick doesn't use it either

nicolaisidek
04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Actually I've always found Babolat to be the most reasonable manufacturer on this. When they come out with a new model they seem to maintain the old lines for a while and don't drop prices dramatically.

A bum isn't it. From where I am, the most discount you can get for babolat is 10%. But they produce good racquets, imho.

DudewithBabolat
04-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Hold on, i thought Roddick started using Cortex now...

origmarm
04-16-2010, 12:17 AM
A bum isn't it. From where I am, the most discount you can get for babolat is 10%. But they produce good racquets, imho.

In some ways good, in some ways bad. I find that if I buy a racquet and say pay $100 I don't want to see the same racquet 3 months later going for $50, it just hurts. For that reason I like it. Still it's not so much fun when you can't pick up an old model cheaper :)

sixone90
04-16-2010, 02:53 AM
Clijsters uses a real cortex

nicolaisidek
04-16-2010, 03:51 AM
In some ways good, in some ways bad. I find that if I buy a racquet and say pay $100 I don't want to see the same racquet 3 months later going for $50, it just hurts. For that reason I like it. Still it's not so much fun when you can't pick up an old model cheaper :)

Very true indeed!

IceNineTX
04-16-2010, 04:30 AM
I think Ryan sweeting uses cortex

I bit hard to tell, but if it's a pj, it's a good one.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_WRFG-Wxn-mA/S8hWRYDJ6nI/AAAAAAAAE-4/_6W5R1UTbIk/s1024/sweeting_cortex_closeup.jpg

purple-n-gold
04-16-2010, 05:27 AM
[QUOTE=FleurDeLee;4564577]I know that it's been stated over and over that Nadal doesn't use cortex. Maybe this is a naive question, but as someone who switched from the original APD to the APDC I can't really tell the difference all that much. Why is it that non of the pros use it?[/QUO

Nadal and Roddick probably like the "raw" feedback they get from the non-cortex, and the top guys are going to stick with what got em there. I agree with you bout there not being that much difference, the cortex version is def muted and softer feeling.

hcb0804
04-16-2010, 07:24 AM
[QUOTE=FleurDeLee;4564577]I know that it's been stated over and over that Nadal doesn't use cortex. Maybe this is a naive question, but as someone who switched from the original APD to the APDC I can't really tell the difference all that much. Why is it that non of the pros use it?[/QUO

Nadal and Roddick probably like the "raw" feedback they get from the non-cortex, and the top guys are going to stick with what got em there. I agree with you bout there not being that much difference, the cortex version is def muted and softer feeling.

I have both non-cortex and cortex PD's (Pure Drive, Pure Drive Cortex, and Pure Drive GT Cortex) and I cannot tell any difference in feel. Granted my senses are not as honed as Roddick or Nadal, but all three models feel the same to me.

LPShanet
04-19-2010, 03:08 PM

Anyone using an Aerostorm (e.g. Safina) is using actual Cortex.

LPShanet
04-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Hold on, i thought Roddick started using Cortex now...

Nope, neither Roddick nor Nadal use Cortex.

LPShanet
04-19-2010, 03:19 PM
I know that it's been stated over and over that Nadal doesn't use cortex. Maybe this is a naive question, but as someone who switched from the original APD to the APDC I can't really tell the difference all that much. Why is it that non of the pros use it?

There are three reasons for this:

1. Pros tend not to like to switch racquets. So if they started out playing with a non-cortex version of a frame, they tend to stay with it rather than "learning" a new frame.

2. Cortex is intended to dampen vibration. While this increases "comfort", it decreases feedback. Even if it didn't work (as some contend), most pros don't even like the thought of having lessened feedback, and they tend not to care about so-called comfort. Same reason race car drivers don't drive Cadillacs or Maybachs despite the very smooth ride.

3. Even if a racquet is supposed to be exactly the same aside from the addition of cortex, any time the layup changes at all, the frame can change. It may not relate to the Cortex itself, but the frames do not feel the same. Often even when a company intends to keep a racquet the same, it still plays differently due to changes in layup, manufacturing line or location or cosmetic processes...witness the changes to the Pure Control over the years. Similarly, the APD has had considerable differences in stiffness over its three incarnations. The APDC is the most flexible version, and the original slightly stiffer. The new APDCGT is much stiffer than the previous version (we're talking 5 RDC units!). And those are all frames that supposedly weren't going to differ much in flex. So you may not feel it, but the frames are perceptibly different to high level players.

It should be noted that Nadal's frame does not play like even a stock APD. It is thought that he gets a special layup, as his frame has been RDC'd at a much lower stiffness than the stock APD had. And it's WAAAAAY more flexible than the newest APDCGT.