PDA

View Full Version : Klahn is higher ranked thank Clayton??

HunterST
04-17-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't know much at all about the college tennis scene, but from all the hype that surrounds Alex Clayton on this board and in other places, I thought he would be in the top 10 of college players. I even saw Bob Bryan say "Clayton is a stud" on his twitter account.

I looked at the college rankings online, and Clayton isn't even the highest ranked player at his school. Klahn is quite a bit higher up in the rankings.

What's the deal here? Why so much hype for clatyon if he's a junior and not even in the top 20 for college rankings?

This is not meant to disparage Clayton. I've watched him on youtube and he's obviously very talented. I'm just curious as to why he is the only college player I've heard of and he's not even in the top 10.

socaltennnis
04-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Because Clayton was ranked top 5 in his freshmen year and made semis of NCAA singles. He was also one of the best junior players prior to coming to college, winning a junior Grant Slam doubles. In his sophomore year, he went down in the rankings to about top 20 last year, although he still made it to the semis of the NCAA singles. This year, he has consistently played #2 for his team and therefore does not play the higher ranked player that Klahn gets to play.

Fedace
04-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Yea,,,Clayton is a STUD allright. He is the next NCAA division 1 champ. and Stanford is the next NCAA division 1 championship winner.

No. 7 Stanford 6, No. 13 California 1
Hellman Tennis Complex | Berkeley, Calif.
Saturday, April 17, 2010
Doubles
1. No. 3 Klahn/Thacher (STAN) def. Konigsfeldt/Zerbini (CAL) 8-5
2. No. 46 Clayton/Wire (STAN) def. Dahan/Katsarov (CAL) 8-3
3. Kandath/Lin (STAN) def. Andrews/Lovill (CAL) 8-3
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1 (Stanford wins doubles point)
Singles
1. No. 19 Pedro Zerbini (CAL) def. No. 9 Bradley Klahn (STAN) 6-4, 6-7(5), 1-0(5)
2. No. 79 Ryan Thacher (STAN) def. No. 95 Christoffer Konigsfeldt (CAL) 6-2, 6-3
3. No. 49 Alex Clayton (STAN) def. Nick Andrews (CAL) 7-5, 6-2
4. Denis Lin (STAN) def. Jonathan Dahan (CAL) 6-2, 6-7(7), 1-0(8)
5. Richard Wire (STAN) def. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) 6-4, 7-5
6. Greg Hirshman (STAN) def. Bijan Hejazi (CAL) 6-0, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 2, 3*, 5, 1, 4

HunterST
04-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Fedace,

Now Clayton is playing number 3 on his own team!? How the hell is he gonna be the NCAA champ if he's not even in the top two of his own team? Again, I'm not trying to slay Clatyon is bad. More so I'm thinking "Why is Stanford putting him at number 2 and 3 singles when he's such a good player?"

Another odd observation: In videos on youtube Clayton looks like a well muscled man, in his picture he looks like a 12 year old boy.

Fedace
04-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Fedace,

Now Clayton is playing number 3 on his own team!? How the hell is he gonna be the NCAA champ if he's not even in the top two of his own team? Again, I'm not trying to slay Clatyon is bad. More so I'm thinking "Why is Stanford putting him at number 2 and 3 singles when he's such a good player?"

Another odd observation: In videos on youtube Clayton looks like a well muscled man, in his picture he looks like a 12 year old boy.

Alex was in the slump. Coach moved him down a spot to gain some confidence in the 3rd spot and we will see how alex does in Pac-10 championships. and the final lineups will be made for NCAA tournament. Nothing is written in stone at the moment. :) Goal is win the NCAA, how it happens and who plays where doesn't matter at this point. but if Alex does well in Pac-10 tournament then he will be moved back to 2nd spot.

subban
04-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Fedace,

Maybe its all the roids he is doing. They should really test him. :)
Anyway, does'nt brad gilbert's son play singles for Cal Berkley?

LeeD
04-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Wow, did I miss that one?
I'm in Berkeley, only windsurfed on Sat.
Played at Hellman two weeks ago.
Isn't Klahn older and more experienced? And lefty? He should be #1.

HunterST
04-20-2010, 09:22 AM
Wow, did I miss that one?
I'm in Berkeley, only windsurfed on Sat.
Played at Hellman two weeks ago.
Isn't Klahn older and more experienced? And lefty? He should be #1.

Actually, I think Klahn is a sophomore and Clayton is a junior. Could be wrong though.

LeeD
04-20-2010, 09:27 AM
I don't watch the college scene, but I thought Klahn was lefty and 6'+, with a big serve.
Clayton seems shorter, rightie, a baseline basher counter puncher style, and conventional if not weak serves.
So if it was me coaching, and both about equal against other Stanford players and one another, I'd put Klahn into #1 singles, the best chance to win at that position.
Not assured of course, #1 Div1 singles is pretty tough.

darthpwner
04-20-2010, 07:26 PM
I think Clayton has a better serve than Klahn.

Fedace
04-21-2010, 05:19 AM
I think Clayton has a better serve than Klahn.

You think ??? Everyone on the team knows Alex Clayton has the best serve on the team,,,,period. Klahn's serve has improved a great deal over the years but still not as heavy or fast. Klahn's serve is more similar to Fernando Verdasco's,,,,,lots spin with medium pace. and Alex's serve is like Ivan Lendl's serve. big and heavy.

darthpwner
04-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Yeah, Alex has a big first and second serve. But I believe that Ryan Thacher has a bigger serve than Clayton. Thacher's serve is pretty much his best shot and his consistency from the ground isn't great, while Clayton has a good all-around game.

bfactor61
03-17-2011, 05:20 PM
oh yeah i would agree with you thacher has the best serve on the team. THACHER BRINGS THE WOOD. most of his opponents cant even return it :). thats why klahn/thacher are nasty at dubs. Clayton is definitely a STUD. He holds the team together at number 3 and also has one of the best one handed backhand i have ever seen. I watched some videos of alex at court level and he has huge top on the forehand side.

Think about it there is no way that you cant classify alex as a STUD. He has won a grand slam and other high level jr tourneys. Plus roddick called him up in 2005 and asked him to be a practice partner for the davis cup team.

ClarkC
03-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Clayton plays #3, not #2, at Stanford and has all year. Thacher is #2 and Klahn is #1.

Clayton is a senior and Klahn and Thacher are juniors.

TourTenor
03-18-2011, 07:57 AM
I don't know much at all about the college tennis scene, but from all the hype that surrounds Alex Clayton on this board and in other places, I thought he would be in the top 10 of college players. I even saw Bob Bryan say "Clayton is a stud" on his twitter account.

I looked at the college rankings online, and Clayton isn't even the highest ranked player at his school. Klahn is quite a bit higher up in the rankings.

What's the deal here? Why so much hype for clatyon if he's a junior and not even in the top 20 for college rankings?

This is not meant to disparage Clayton. I've watched him on youtube and he's obviously very talented. I'm just curious as to why he is the only college player I've heard of and he's not even in the top 10.
It is called "overhype" and is propogated by one particular member of this board. We had the same situation with Matt Bruch (who?) three years ago when there were some outragious predictions being made about him. In fact, each player this particular board member hypes seems to go down in flames ...

Clemson_tennis
03-18-2011, 09:54 AM
oh yeah i would agree with you thacher has the best serve on the team. THACHER BRINGS THE WOOD. most of his opponents cant even return it :). thats why klahn/thacher are nasty at dubs. Clayton is definitely a STUD. He holds the team together at number 3 and also has one of the best one handed backhand i have ever seen. I watched some videos of alex at court level and he has huge top on the forehand side.

Think about it there is no way that you cant classify alex as a STUD. He has won a grand slam and other high level jr tourneys. Plus roddick called him up in 2005 and asked him to be a practice partner for the davis cup team.

Notice that you are mentioning the past a lot here. He's ranked 93rd in College tennis right now and has had some bad losses

T1000
03-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Notice that you are mentioning the past a lot here. He's ranked 93rd in College tennis right now and has had some bad losses

delete post

DownTheLine
03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Alex had the brightest future ahead of him of all juniors other than Young and Querry at his time. He was/is insanely good, but couldn't hold it together.

TourTenor
03-18-2011, 03:43 PM
^^^ They said the same thing about our favorite Cardinal tennis fan. He showed so much promise at a very young age. Then he started goofing off in Miss Spitz' fourth grade spelling class. Somehow he just strayed off the path. Later he discovered the "Standford Tennis Team", testing pharmaceuticals and observing "hot swetty blondes" ... all at the ripe age of 13. You gotta say he he showed desire for each one. Ah, well, you know the rest ...

Rob_C
03-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Alex had the brightest future ahead of him of all juniors other than Young and Querry at his time. He was/is insanely good, but couldn't hold it together.

??? How did he have the brightest future when he never won anything big as a jr??

bfactor61
03-21-2011, 03:33 AM
you cant be serious....how about winning the us open dubs title? or the national clay courts?

starbucks
03-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Ever since he's gotten a job at Goldman Sachs post graduation, his tennis game has gone way down. He used to be sooo good, I don't know what's happened to him at Stanford. I've heard coaches say it hurt him going to play for Whit.

matchplay
03-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Ever since he's gotten a job at Goldman Sachs post graduation, his tennis game has gone way down. He used to be sooo good, I don't know what's happened to him at Stanford. I've heard coaches say it hurt him going to play for Whit.

Starbucks- are you telling us that a college coach has anything to do with the future pro career of one of his recruits?
as i have stated over & over again, not one college player in recent memory has made it at the pro level other then Blake & Isner. i would like anyone on these boards to name a recent or current college player player who has/will make more in one year on tour then Alex will in his first year at GS...let's guess he will make about $2ooK ?
a bunch of folks on these boards always talk about this guy and that guy being a good pro or being ruined by going to play for that coach, it is all a bunch of hogwash. Fish & Diaz are the only coaches i know that have had kids excell (make real money & have a ranking better then 50)in tennis beyond there college careers. somewhere in one of these threads recently i read about the UVA coach letting his future pro players play in pro events & missing team event & that it is part of his recruiting tactic. it may well be, however, i wonder when and if these kids and the parents will realize that college tennis hasn't been a breeding ground for the pros since Dick Gould @ Stanford. tennis is different these days, scholarships are different. i guess my point is _ if your are a high level junior, go to the best university that you can, with a coach that will get you ready for real life & if a pro career happens it happens.
To say that Whit had anything to do with the future of Alex's tennis career is insane. he is 22 or 23 years old, he will have a degree from Stanford and go make more money then most americans will ever dream of. So, i ask...what school and coach would you want your kid to play for? then share the credentials that coach and school has in producing a top pro player.

TourTenor
03-24-2011, 01:34 PM
i would like anyone on these boards to name a recent or current college player player who has/will make more in one year on tour then Alex will in his first year at GS...let's guess he will make about $2ooK ?

Somdev Devvarman just moved to up to #73 and has made over $120K so far this year. Since it isn't quite April yet and, if he continues his play, he should be well over $200K by year end. Also, I'm not sure whether a guy like that has much in sponsorships to add to the total?

matchplay
03-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Somdev Devvarman just moved to up to #73 and has made over $120K so far this year. Since it isn't quite April yet and, if he continues his play, he should be well over $200K by year end. Also, I'm not sure whether a guy like that has much in sponsorships to add to the total?

Somdev has a chance to do it & i hope he does, as i have heard only good things about him, his work ethic and his personality. figure after expenses, he will have to make $350K ___ if 4 other names come up it would surprise me-
the point(s) of my post go beyond this though.

matchplay
03-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Somdev has a chance to do it & i hope he does, as i have heard only good things about him, his work ethic and his personality. figure after expenses, he will have to make $350K ___ if 4 other names come up it would surprise me-

i should have been more clear on this post, i was referring to US kids/parents

TourTenor
03-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Your overall point isn't lost on me ... most of these kids would do better to get their degree and Clayton is one of them.

J_R_B
03-25-2011, 11:07 AM

LOL. It's only a matter of time before Clayton is playing for 4.5 team in NYC Metro...

ClarkC
03-25-2011, 11:46 AM
LOL. It's only a matter of time before Clayton is playing for 4.5 team in NYC Metro...

I doubt it. Once he gets to NYC, he won't be coached by Whitlinger any more. He will soar.

J_R_B
03-25-2011, 01:00 PM
I doubt it. Once he gets to NYC, he won't be coached by Whitlinger any more. He will soar.

That'll make him all that much more attractive to the 4.5 captains...

starbucks
03-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Starbucks- are you telling us that a college coach has anything to do with the future pro career of one of his recruits?
as i have stated over & over again, not one college player in recent memory has made it at the pro level other then Blake & Isner. i would like anyone on these boards to name a recent or current college player player who has/will make more in one year on tour then Alex will in his first year at GS...let's guess he will make about $2ooK ?
a bunch of folks on these boards always talk about this guy and that guy being a good pro or being ruined by going to play for that coach, it is all a bunch of hogwash. Fish & Diaz are the only coaches i know that have had kids excell (make real money & have a ranking better then 50)in tennis beyond there college careers. somewhere in one of these threads recently i read about the UVA coach letting his future pro players play in pro events & missing team event & that it is part of his recruiting tactic. it may well be, however, i wonder when and if these kids and the parents will realize that college tennis hasn't been a breeding ground for the pros since Dick Gould @ Stanford. tennis is different these days, scholarships are different. i guess my point is _ if your are a high level junior, go to the best university that you can, with a coach that will get you ready for real life & if a pro career happens it happens.
To say that Whit had anything to do with the future of Alex's tennis career is insane. he is 22 or 23 years old, he will have a degree from Stanford and go make more money then most americans will ever dream of. So, i ask...what school and coach would you want your kid to play for? then share the credentials that coach and school has in producing a top pro player.

Bryan Bros (Stanford)
John McEnroe (Stanford)
Jimmy Conors (UCLA)
Jeff Tarangos (Stanford)
Robert Farah (USC)
Somdev Devvarman (Virginia)
These are just off the top of my head if you consider them "recent memory". No one said anything about who's gonna make more money. Irrelevant?

Clemson_tennis
03-25-2011, 07:15 PM
Bryan Bros (Stanford)
John McEnroe (Stanford)
Jimmy Conors (UCLA)
Jeff Tarangos (Stanford)
Robert Farah (USC)
Somdev Devvarman (Virginia)
These are just off the top of my head if you consider them "recent memory". No one said anything about who's gonna make more money. Irrelevant?

Benjamin Becker(Baylor)
Rajeev Ram(Illinois)
Kevin Anderson(Illinois)
Robert Kendrick(Washington)
Jesse Levine(Florida)
Jess Witten(Kentucky)
Conor Niland(Cal)
Michael Yani(Duke)
Mahesh Bhupati(Ole Miss)
Justin Gimelstob(UCLA)
Kevin Kim(UCLA)
Peter Luczak(Fresno State)
Ryan Sweeting(Florida)
Michael Russell(Miami)
Alexander Waske(San Diego State)

more than I thought actually

cmb
03-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Well its obvious that he wont make as much money in tennis....Tennis doesn't pay. So by your logic why should we even play tennis at all then?

bfactor61
03-29-2011, 05:32 PM
we all know alex is making bank at goldman sachs!

Rob_C
03-29-2011, 06:55 PM
you cant be serious....how about winning the us open dubs title? or the national clay courts?

A little late in responding to this, but, if that's directed to me, it would help if u quoted me, then I'd know for sure.

Winning dubs isnt that big of a deal. There was some jr a few yrs back, cant think of his name, thats how not big of a deal it is, won the US Open dubs I believe. He went to Georgia after that, played somewhere from 4-6, I believe. I think he was from Oregon. Maybe Nate something. I'll check later.

As far as the clay courts, also not that big of a deal. If you check the draws, you'll see that not a lot of the top top guys played the Clay Court Nat'ls. Easter Bowl, Kalamazoo, yes. Clay cts, not so much. If you check the yr Clayton won, I'm pretty sure DY & Querrey werent in it.

Rob_C
03-29-2011, 06:59 PM
i should have been more clear on this post, i was referring to US kids/parents

Brian Vahaly and Paul Goldstein did pretty well for themselves.

I agree thats its rare, especially for kids to stay four yrs in school, then have a successful pro career, but it does happen.

bfactor61
04-03-2011, 05:52 AM
Fedace: do you think alex is playing a lot better know because he went back to pht?????

http://www.stanfordphoto.com/viewphoto.php?&albumId=145420&imageId=5036369&page=1&imagepos=2

DownTheLine
04-03-2011, 06:10 AM
Fedace: do you think alex is playing a lot better know because he went back to pht?????

http://www.stanfordphoto.com/viewphoto.php?&albumId=145420&imageId=5036369&page=1&imagepos=2

He wasn't using PHT against USC or UCLA.

Not really surprising he switched he has been between PHT and ALU Power for 4 years now.

jhick
04-03-2011, 06:40 AM
Benjamin Becker(Baylor)
Rajeev Ram(Illinois)
Kevin Anderson(Illinois)
Robert Kendrick(Washington)
Jesse Levine(Florida)
Jess Witten(Kentucky)
Conor Niland(Cal)
Michael Yani(Duke)
Mahesh Bhupati(Ole Miss)
Justin Gimelstob(UCLA)
Kevin Kim(UCLA)
Peter Luczak(Fresno State)
Ryan Sweeting(Florida)
Michael Russell(Miami)
Alexander Waske(San Diego State)

more than I thought actually

Eric Butorac(Gustavus Adolphus D3) if you're including doubles specialists

Fedace
04-03-2011, 06:59 AM

Agree, that is PHT. but i think he has been improving slowly since he switched to that Head Youtek Prestige frame. His backhand certainly improved. Now he's got that serve back. He is bombing that serve around 120mph now. More importantly, it is Very ACCURATE. He is now winning around 2 FREE points every time he serves. That is HUGE for your confidence.:)

Fedace
04-03-2011, 07:00 AM
He wasn't using PHT against USC or UCLA.

Not really surprising he switched he has been between PHT and ALU Power for 4 years now.

That yellow string against UCLA is PHT. but yes it is not new. He's been switching between that and alu for a while. but now he seem to have switched to PHT full time now.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
04-04-2011, 05:55 AM
Discussing string changes, and actually slobbering over it ? Get a room.
He came very,very close to dropping the ball this weekend to UA freshman (Miccini) ...better ask what strings he had yesterday

bfactor61
04-04-2011, 04:46 PM
he just needs some time getting use to pht again....in a week or so he will be in fine form to take the ncaa's as fedace says