PDA

View Full Version : 50/50 stringing

chang10is
04-14-2004, 09:03 PM
How many flying clamps do you need for 50/50 stringing? It seems like 4 clamps would be necessary--2 to hold the mains, and 2 to hold the crosses. If this isn't the case, either there is a clever way to get around the issue of holding all the strings in place, or I don't understand 2-piece 50/50 stringing correctly.

If 4 clamps are needed, what are some good choices for an additional pair of flying clamps? I've seen a recommendation for LaserFibre on this forum; any other recs?

coachrick
04-14-2004, 09:33 PM
In addition to your machine clamps, you only need one 'starting' clamp. I'm sure someone will have a link to pics...

Gaines Hillix
04-16-2004, 07:00 AM
chang10s, I use 50/50 when I string 2-piece. I do the mains in the normal way and tied off. Then I do the crosses 50/50. I start in the middle and do the top half first, then the bottom half. You only need one starting clamp for this method. Basically, the machine clamp is placed next to the frame on the first string on the bottom half. Then the first string on the top half is tensioned and clamped off. Then the first string on the bottom half is tensioned while releasing the machine clamp. Then the starting clamp or extra flying clamp is placed on that same string. Then the second string on the top half is tensioned and the first machine clamp is moved to that string(the starting clamp is still holding the bottom half string and continues to do so untll the top half is done). When the top half is done, the first bottom string is re-tensioned, the starting clamp is removed and the string is clamped off with the machine clamp on that side. Then the rest of the bottom crosses are weaved and tensioned normally. IMO, it would be a real mess to try to string 50/50 by alternating between the top and bottom side on a machine with dual action swivel clamps, but would be easy to do on a glide bar machine with a clamp base that rotated so the clamps were parallel to the cross strings.