PDA

View Full Version : When do stringers string players' racquets ?

Tdot
04-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Do they usually string it on the the same day or the previous day ?

This question comes to my mind because some strings like polys lose quite a bit of tension in the first few hours so assuming when the pros use the racquets, they won't be the same tension that they requested.

big bang
04-19-2010, 10:56 PM
when the players need to have them strung.. wow that was an easy one:)

NikeUp
04-20-2010, 01:22 AM
Poly does lose tension after the first 30-60mins but this is actually just the polymers settling into their stretched state. In simple terms, the string is just getting used to being pulled at 55llbs... Once it's done that it keeps good tension as long as it's not exposed to any extreme condition. (Within reasonable time frame.) So normally the night before. The most important thing is that all the rackets are strung at the same time so they'll have the same tension regardless of the tension loss.

And, players only know what tension they're used to, not the "true" tension. For example. if they always have their rackets strung at 55lbs the night before, then that's the 55lbs they know and can feel, not the 55lbs straight off the machine. Make sense?

NikeUP

RacquetCraft
04-20-2010, 01:40 AM
NikeUp,

Do you generally measure the dynamic tension of your string jobs? If not, its worth doing so, if not at the retail level, at least for your own sticks.:wink:

Before everyone starts posting, DYNAMIC TENSION DT (DT-value) is a measurement of the stiffness of the string bed (not to be confused with the tension in one single string).

DT measures the ball power in kp (kilopond) required to deflect the string bed 1 cm at the sweet spot (the ball impact site).

cheers,

Racquetcraft

NikeUp
04-20-2010, 05:27 AM
Thats some technical stuff! Thanks for the info. I don't measure dynamic tension, unless you count hitting the strings on my palm and using my ears as that gauge... ;) We don't have a DT measurer unfortunately.

NikeUp

migjam
04-22-2010, 07:57 PM
It all depends on the player. Some would have us string them the night before a match and others would ask us to wait until the morning.

jimbo333
04-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Thats some technical stuff! Thanks for the info. I don't measure dynamic tension, unless you count hitting the strings on my palm and using my ears as that gauge... ;) We don't have a DT measurer unfortunately.

NikeUp

Good to know Andy is using the professionals:-?

NikeUp
04-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Haha, fair point. But if Andy ask's for 4 bats at a tension, i'll string them and they'll all be exactly the same. Whethere i can measure the dynamic tension after they're strung won't affect the quality!

raging
04-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Haha, fair point. But if Andy ask's for 4 bats at a tension, i'll string them and they'll all be exactly the same. Whethere i can measure the dynamic tension after they're strung won't affect the quality!

That is true and most players will go by feel anyway and not what they see on a machine. Because it is such a mental game with strings, surfaces,opponents, weather conditions: they normally get a few frames strung and then rotate till they find the right feel.
With each minute of practice the string is losing tension but they know what their base is. Then they just go back to base.:)
They know instinctively how long they can use a string set-up and just have to adjust to the stringer!
If they are good enough to afford P1 or the same stringer at each tournament then that takes another variable out of the equation.

RacquetCraft
04-24-2010, 05:33 AM
That is true and most players will go by feel anyway and not what they see on a machine. Because it is such a mental game with strings, surfaces,opponents, weather conditions: they normally get a few frames strung and then rotate till they find the right feel.
With each minute of practice the string is losing tension but they know what their base is. Then they just go back to base.:)
They know instinctively how long they can use a string set-up and just have to adjust to the stringer!
If they are good enough to afford P1 or the same stringer at each tournament then that takes another variable out of the equation.

You may want to do a Google search and read up on the ERT300 etc. You may then learn something about dynamic tension and the benefits of a DT measurement. Measuring the DT of the racquet stringbed is done by many of the professional stringing outfits who string for players on tour. That is why I posed the question to NikeUp since he strings for a touring player from time to time.
It's not a required measurement but certainly has its benefits.

cheers,

Racquetcraft

raging
04-24-2010, 08:38 AM
You may want to do a Google search and read up on the ERT300 etc. You may then learn something about dynamic tension and the benefits of a DT measurement. Measuring the DT of the racquet stringbed is done by many of the professional stringing outfits who string for players on tour. That is why I posed the question to NikeUp since he strings for a touring player from time to time.
It's not a required measurement but certainly has its benefits.

cheers,

Racquetcraft

Thanks RC I was not disparaging the use of DT measurements, it was more a comment on what pro players think of these...they just want the strings to feel the same and adjust to all the other variables. The process in most cases, doesn't interest them.
The ERT 300 is a fine machine, Head used to sell there own portable unit back in the 90s, it is a great idea for a pro stringer to have. However I had one of the best...back in the day and he strung my Maxplys with VS to within a whisker! (without measuring).

There are some stringers out there..who are that good.:)

Murray_Fan
04-24-2010, 12:37 PM
My friend strung sharapovas racket and she did it an hour before the event