PDA

View Full Version : The most durable multi

luke92
04-20-2010, 05:30 PM
So I was wondering, which do you guys think is the most durable multifilament string on the market. Just post which one is the best, along with the average amount of time it lasts, as well as some other characteristics that you would like to share (comfort, power...)

ChipNCharge
06-11-2010, 06:38 AM
So I was wondering, which do you guys think is the most durable multifilament string on the market. Just post which one is the best, along with the average amount of time it lasts, as well as some other characteristics that you would like to share (comfort, power...)

Bump. Any suggestions? I'm also looking for a durable multi.

Due to elbow issues, I recently switched to the Prince Ozone Tour. That racquet eats string like no other racquet I've ever had. I'm not a string breaker, but I'm getting maybe two sets out of 16g Premier with SoftFlex in my Ozone Tour.

mikeler
06-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Currently using Babolat PST+ with Maxim Touch 17g. I'm a 4.5 that hits with lots of spin and the MT lasts me about 7 to 8 sets before breakage. Note, this is the old version of the string which is supposedly back in production. The new version did not get very good reviews and is being recalled from what I can tell.

Centered
06-11-2010, 05:37 PM
In my experience, it's NRG-2. It also holds its tension well according to tests.

Gtech
06-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Man, I feel your pain. About 2 yrs ago I used to play with the Ozone Tour. Great racket, but it eats the strings like nothing I have ever used. I switched out of them mostly because of that plus it was too flexy for my taste.

As for the durability of multis, in my experience the tension you string will drive you to certain multis vs. others. Let me explain. If you string tight, 60lbs or higher, what you want is a multi that resists notching because at that tension it is the notching what breaks the string more than anything else.

If you string softer, say under 50-54lbs, then it is fraying because the strings move a lot more against each other and that is what gets you rather than the notching.

For resistance to notching I find X1 to have a more durable coating than others multis. This does contribute to X1 feeling firmer than others.

For resistance to fraying or at least it frays a lot before it breaks, I like KGut.

Just some opinions for you to consider, nothing scientific.