PDA

View Full Version : Incipient, local stringing business

verbouge
04-20-2010, 11:27 PM
I bought a great stringer. I love to string. Suddenly, there are more rackets showing up at my door than I know what to do with. There is no other game in town when it comes to stringing, and this town has a pretty good tennis population.

Most people aren't as discriminating as those of us who troll Strings and Stringing. Most people seem to want longevity, with feel and comfort coming in a distant second. With that in mind, I've been putting poly hybrids in their rackets. Lux BBO, with Forten Sweet 16. I'm thinking of purchasing reels of Topspin Cyberflash and Wilson Stamina for the ultimate bang-for-buck combo of feel, longevity, value for money.

So far no complaints about poly hybrid string jobs. And of course I know there are TONS of strings to choose from. That said, any of you all see any glaring holes in my selection? I can do full beds with any of the above mentioned strings. I don't have any premium multis. But y'know, until some requests for those come in, I think I've got a pretty good thing going.

Any thoughts? Does Gosen Sheep for crosses last longer? Suggestions for a premium multi to have in the mix? Please do weigh in..........

Dave

PS: The next thing is to become a "certified stringer". Should be fun.

Ash_Smith
04-20-2010, 11:49 PM
I always like to have a few reels of decent value decent performance string available for my "average" customers, so a reel of a good syn-gut like RAB Texflex, a solid poly like MSV or Enduraflex and a multi like Sensorfibre or Addiction. Then when a customer asks for something specific i'll order a couple of individual sets working on the principal that they'll either come back for another or that I can sell it to somebody else.

I think you're right that the majority of people just want a string that will last a while and not break them or the bank! I think at least 75% of our work is with RAB Texflex or Toalson Asterisk - good, well priced syn-guts.

Good luck with it.

Ash