PDA

View Full Version : what age?

ga tennis
04-21-2010, 10:17 AM
What age do u think is good for young girls to start using poly? My 8 year old is using Wilson nxt now i was just wandering what age would be good to maybe use poly in a hybrid set up?

Hi I'm Ray
04-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Is there a need for her to use poly?

ga tennis
04-21-2010, 10:52 AM
No need.I just know that she will eventually ues it just interested in when other tennis parents started putting poly in their kids rackets?

Autodidactic player
04-21-2010, 10:53 AM
From my perspective, poly has two main benefits:

1. It is extremely durable; and
2. The dead feel allows you to take a full cut at the ball (faster racket head speed) and still maintain adequate control;
2a. To a lesser extent, spin is enhanced because you can use thinner gauges, the strings tend not to move and the faster racket head speed allows the ball to really "bite" into the strings.

On the other hand, the disadvantages include not only loss of feel and power but, most importantly for an eight year old, risk of arm and wrist injury from playing with such a "hard" string - especially at such a young age.

So my question back to you would be: will the few benefits of poly really assist your daughter's game at this early stage of her tennis career and, if you believe they will, do they outweigh the injury risks?

Irvin
04-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Never. When in doubt read this again. You don't use poly because you have reached a certain age.

Irvin

Irvin
04-21-2010, 10:55 AM
By the way if she likes NXT she will hate poly. Good way to get her to quit tennis.

Irvin

ga tennis
04-21-2010, 10:57 AM
No need now.. I just know she will eventuall use poly i was just interested in when other parents started putting poly in their kids rackets?

ga tennis
04-21-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the replies!!!! I knew she was too young now.

David123
04-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Well i suggest letting her stick to NXT now since it's a good string. Then maybe when she's 10-11 let her try the premium polys like luxilon alu but make sure its crosses with a soft multi or gut.

The_Question
04-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Using poly string is NOT a trend, only based on feel and game play. If she's doing well with NXT, let her stay that way and improve her game, instead of making her to start from scratch again...

David123
04-21-2010, 11:55 AM
i suggest letting her try it. You never know how good ur game could be until you try it. If she doesnt like it then let her switch back. But at least you know the fact that poly didnt work.

Racer41c
04-21-2010, 12:38 PM
A. I wouldn't introduce anything to a kid that is stiff or harsh on their arms, until middle teens at the earliest. Kids who injur their growth plates could screw up their arms for life. My buddy's kid pitched in the LL world series a few years ago, "broke" his arm couldn't pitch in high school.

B. Until she has full swings and needs a low power string than Syn gut.

struggle
04-21-2010, 12:44 PM
she can use poly when she can legally drink a beer.

Shangri La
04-21-2010, 12:47 PM
String poly at 30lbs for her.

HitItHarder
04-21-2010, 12:54 PM
I guess I am just not clear on why you would want to switch her to a poly string at a young age. As it was said earlier, polys generally are for durability and control.

So unless she is breaking strings regularly, the multis are probably the best fit.

Also, until she has developed full strokes and supplies her own power, I don't know that control is a real concern.

Until she has grown and developed her strength and strokes, a quality synthetic gut or multi should be the string of choice.

MuscleWeave
04-21-2010, 02:23 PM
I would wait until she is playing on high school and college teams, and ask her coaches about it.

naylor
04-21-2010, 03:42 PM
... polys generally are for durability and control... until she has developed full strokes and supplies her own power, I don't know that control is a real concern...

My son is 12y6m, and has been playing a full-poly stringbed for about a year now. He's in the top squad at his club, training regularly with kids a couple of years older than him - he was also in the regional squad and playing 14-and-under tournaments, until this summer when he chose to concentrate on cricket instead.

He has well-coached and properly developed strokes, and generates his own power. Never been much of a stringbreaker, he tends to hit reasonably flat (plays DHBH).

The reason I switched him to poly was to add a little extra spin and control onto his game. I prefer that to the way most other kids in his squad have gone - they all want to hit huge forehands, but they need to also generate huge spin to keep the ball in, so they have all gone for western grips and their basic game has turned into baseline bashing. Whereas my son has good hands and can volley, so I want to ensure he keeps his all-court game.

I had shoulder and elbow problems some years back, and I'm aware of what "bad strings" can do to those areas. I actually did a lot of testing before I chose to go all-poly for myself 2 years ago, and since then I did further tests and settled for the thinnest MSV hex string, which is what I also use for my son.

I play AG100s, my son uses AG300s, so pretty similar frames, which means I can actually use my own rackets to monitor the life and performance of the stringbeds. The only difference is the tensions, I go for 54/50 in my frames (90s) but slightly higher at 58/54 in his (95s).

Still, I expect I will bring his down lower and closer to my set-up. I started stringing my own rackets in the 60s, but found that they played a lot better after several hits, were then at their best for about 5 hours and then went dead - so I started lowering tensions and have found that at my current tension set-up the strings feel terrific from the word go and keep like that for quite a long time (if anything, I can now play them far too long and they still feel OK, but when I switched to a new stringjob yesterday I realised what I'd been missing!).

What I like about MSV is that it's a soft poly - as far as polys go. I also use the thinnest gauge, because I use it for spin and bite rather than durability - I actually find that when these 18g strings go dead, they actually break pretty quickly, so I use this breaking as double-check against playing with dead strings. Finally, I keep a rough check as to how many hours each of his and my frames have been played (I don't rotate them), and once it gets around the 15-20 hr. mark - or earlier, if I've had a couple of hard matches and the strings start feeling tired - I simply go for a fresh restring.

autumn_leaf
04-21-2010, 04:20 PM
no kids of my own and hopefully none anytime soon.

but, for your question the time to switch for most players is when they break their current nylon or multi strings too frequently. i had a teammate that breaks polys in about 2-3 matches (~6-8 hrs). he had a synthetic setup for one match and broke it with 30 minutes.

so if you think your kid is breaking strings wayy too fast then i would consider switching, otherwise stick to the softer stuff.

stanfordtennis alum
04-21-2010, 04:23 PM
not before 14 or so and then introduce them to a soft poly such as topspin cyber blue

ManuGinobili
04-21-2010, 11:57 PM

ProgressoR
04-22-2010, 12:44 AM
no way i would let my 9year old daughter use poly for a long time yet. Once she can hit with good pace and spin and control and is breaking strings then lets see. Until then its syn gut for her. My guess is she wont be "needing" or asking for poly until she reaches an advanced level in her teens, if she continues, I can address it then.

I had TE issues when using the poly the first time, never will risk it again, for me or for daughter. It is just not worth it. Until your game is advanced enough to think you really need it. Even then you are probably wrong.

ga tennis
04-22-2010, 04:06 AM
Thanks again for all the replies. I played college tennis in the late 90s and used prince pro blend because of the durability.Then when i started using lux big banger i was blown away i was thinking to myself i wish i would have had these strings in college.I guess its just i have seen her hit with my 12 oz racket with big banger and she destroys the ball.I have only let her use it a couple of times she plays with a 10 oz head racket strung at 58 lbs with nxt.Im gonna wait a while before i put it her racket because i dont want her to develop arm problems. THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE REPLIES!!!!

blaby
04-22-2010, 07:10 PM
only let her use poly when she starts breaking nxt everyday, till then stay with the nxt

pvaudio
04-22-2010, 07:18 PM
There is no need to even use a poly in the first place. If she likes the feel of a multifilament, then let her use multifilaments. If you have questions about what string is best for her, ask her coach, not yourself as he's going to have far more experience with coaching players of different styles.