PDA

View Full Version : Breaking crosses before mains

siz2pitt
04-21-2010, 12:10 PM
I have lately been breaking my crosses before my kevlar prince problend mains. I guess its because I have been driving the ball and the level of my tennis game has increase. I used to be a chronic string breaker a couple years back because i played with a western forehand and would hit a ton of spin.

I was wondering if I should switch to a poly? and which one. I would like comfort and control over power.

David123
04-21-2010, 12:14 PM
happens to me too at times.

drakulie
04-21-2010, 01:03 PM
I have lately been breaking my crosses before my kevlar prince problend mains. I guess its because I have been driving the ball and the level of my tennis game has increase. I used to be a chronic string breaker a couple years back because i played with a western forehand and would hit a ton of spin.

I was wondering if I should switch to a poly? and which one. I would like comfort and control over power.

If you are using a synthetic cross, then it is safe to assume everyone will typically break the crosses in this set up.

JT_2eighty
04-21-2010, 01:18 PM
1) The mains will receive more wear and tear than crosses, which is why a more durable string is place in the mains.

2) Kevlar is the most durable string type, even more durable than poly.

1+2=3) In most, if not all, kevlar hybrids, your experience is exactly what should be happening. This means you are getting the most life out of your stringjob if you play it until the crosses break. Or, you are using extremely non-durable crosses, but sounds like you are using the prepackaged pair which is fine.

Lastly, if you want an even more durable setup, then use poly crosses instead, but this could lead to arm problems, although some people swear by their kevlar/poly setup... not for those prone to TE though

coyfish
04-21-2010, 01:25 PM
How often are you breaking strings is the most important question I think.

Irvin
04-21-2010, 01:31 PM
I would suggest you stay with the Syn Gut crosses so that your string do not last too long and go dead. That would be worse for your arm.

Irvin

Austinthecity
04-21-2010, 02:34 PM
If you're not breaking the mains, you could go with a thinner kevlar for more feel.

siz2pitt
04-25-2010, 06:33 PM
I have recently played with fed's old racquet strung with big banger and I loved the feel! It was amazing. I have never had that much feel from string before. I felt like this racquet was teaching me how to hit better forehand and backhand ground strokes. The feel for my Kevlar prince problend is no where as good as this. I am concerned about my arm. So should I switch to the big banger? I break my synthetic crosses about one every three weeks when I play around 3-4 times a week. How long would these big banger strings last me?

coyfish
04-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Big banger will go dead after 10 hours or so. It bothers some people more than others. Plenty of good cheaper poly strings out there too. Luxilon will put a dent in your wallet.

autumn_leaf
04-25-2010, 06:48 PM
I have recently played with fed's old racquet strung with big banger and I loved the feel! It was amazing. I have never had that much feel from string before. I felt like this racquet was teaching me how to hit better forehand and backhand ground strokes. The feel for my Kevlar prince problend is no where as good as this. I am concerned about my arm. So should I switch to the big banger? I break my synthetic crosses about one every three weeks when I play around 3-4 times a week. How long would these big banger strings last me?

string breakage really depends on the type of player, no one can accurately give you that answer only an estimate. my estimate is prolly about the same amount of time it takes you to break a full bed of kevlar (proabably a bit sooner).

be aware that many on this board have stated lux strings dying on them quite quickly though.