PDA

View Full Version : What string would you recomend?

dizzlmcwizzl
04-21-2010, 05:43 PM
I am a 4.0 player that could be close to a 4.5. I serve hard and have decent groundies. I am trying to get to the net more as I transition from singles to doubles with age.

I play with a babolat pure drive roddick plus which I like, now strung at 48 / 50 lbs.

I started stringing my own racquets about 6 years ago. Initially, I used a cheap synthetic gut at high tensions which was ok, but the strings broke very often (about 2-3 hours of play). 3 Years ago I switched to a hybrid of the cheapest babolat poly for the mains and the babolat synthetic for the crosses. I immediately liked the added spin. And the extended life of the strings was fantastic but there was increased tenderness in the elbow before I dropped the tension and I flet like I was missing some touch.

As a new reader of this forum I am finding very few of you like the babolat strings (especially the cheap stuff which I formerly bought).

I would like to experiment with higher quality strings but I am curious what the seasoned stringer would recomend transitioning to? I definately like the the poly / synthetic hybrid but would like added feel.

ANy help you could prvide would be wonderful.

Valjean
04-22-2010, 03:39 AM
At this point I would consider, were I you, the several blended entries now on the market: Tecnifibre's Promix (polyester subjected to multifilament construction), Prince's Lightning Power (polyester blended with nylon and a springy wrap, for touch and better feel) and now, Volkl's V-Fuse blend of natural gut and polyester. Better, more consistent launch angle with these, too....

You might need string savers thrown in, though, too.

The foregoing takes into specific account: elbow susceptibility, desire for touch/feel, and transitioning to doubles now.

David123
04-22-2010, 09:04 AM
try proline II and luxilon hybrid with x-1 or NRG2

DrpShot!
04-22-2010, 09:49 AM
I'm about in the same boat as you, maybe a little older, but am having good success with a Big Hitter Blue / NRG2 or X-1 Biphase hybrid, or all X-1 Biphase (all NRG2 feels too springy after getting used to X-1 and hybrids).

coyfish
04-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Well sounds like you are in the market for softer poly. Babolat doesn't make soft poly. I have tried duralast and another mid range poly of theirs and found them to be very harsh.

Unique Big hitter (blue version softer than silver)
Big Ace Micro
The new Genesis "typhoon"

Those are all popular strings notorious for their "softness."

David123
04-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Big ace micro would be good.

dizzlmcwizzl
04-22-2010, 05:57 PM
At this point I would consider, were I you, the several blended entries now on the market: Tecnifibre's Promix (polyester subjected to multifilament construction), Prince's Lightning Power (polyester blended with nylon and a springy wrap, for touch and better feel) and now, Volkl's V-Fuse blend of natural gut and polyester. Better, more consistent launch angle with these, too....

You might need string savers thrown in, though, too.

The foregoing takes into specific account: elbow susceptibility, desire for touch/feel, and transitioning to doubles now.

thank you very much ...

dizzlmcwizzl
04-22-2010, 05:58 PM

Well sounds like you are in the market for softer poly. Babolat doesn't make soft poly. I have tried duralast and another mid range poly of theirs and found them to be very harsh.

Unique Big hitter (blue version softer than silver)
Big Ace Micro
The new Genesis "typhoon"

Those are all popular strings notorious for their "softness."

I am surely going to try the Big ace micro .. plus maybe some others ... thank you

dizzlmcwizzl
04-22-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm about in the same boat as you, maybe a little older, but am having good success with a Big Hitter Blue / NRG2 or X-1 Biphase hybrid, or all X-1 Biphase (all NRG2 feels too springy after getting used to X-1 and hybrids).

Thanks ... your throwing out some snames I have never heard before. I must be sheltered. I think I am going to try the x-1 biphase hybrid first and see what happens

rudester
04-22-2010, 06:01 PM

Have been playing with Big Ace Micro this week, I really like it, easy on the arm and great spin.

decades
04-22-2010, 06:08 PM
i would go x-one bp....great all around string for all court player.