PDA

View Full Version : Question about Wilson Ultra 2 Largehead

jxs653
04-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Hi, does this racquet have tapered beam? In other words, does the beam width go gradually thin toward the tip of the head? Thanks.

Colpo
04-22-2010, 03:07 AM
Yes, all Ultra 2 models had tapered beams. What changes about the Largehead is that it went from a 3-piece structure (frame, throat piece, and grip) to a 2-piece design (frame and grip with incorporated throat) to, finally, a 1-piece design, all over the course of the 5 or so years the Ultra 2s were in production. This is something to definitely keep in mind if you plan on collecting from different sources, because they are not the same racquet over time. The 1st generation 3-piece was a boron-reinforced Galaxy, rebadged. The 2nd generation brought the LH up to speed with the Ultra 2 mid 1st generation. By the end of the series circa '87, both the mid and the LH were 1-piece.

jxs653
04-22-2010, 06:31 AM
Thank you for your kind information. I appreciate it.

dataseviltwin
04-26-2010, 05:43 AM
The earliest of early ultra largeheads (first ones had the moniker "Galaxy") were narrow-beam. I believe the Ultra II were the same - narrow beam. Only when they went to FPK, ceramic, etc. did they have any taper to them. So... it depends...

Colpo
04-26-2010, 07:17 AM
The earliest of early ultra largeheads (first ones had the moniker "Galaxy") were narrow-beam. I believe the Ultra II were the same - narrow beam. Only when they went to FPK, ceramic, etc. did they have any taper to them. So... it depends...

How to put this?...not correct? You may mean well, but...

Both the Ultra/PWS and the Galaxy, precursors to the Ultra 2 line, had tapered beams. They probably ran from about 19 mm. at the top of the head to about 22 mm. at the grip. Not widebodies by any stretch, but tapered for sure.

The Ultra 2s kept this trait, and the later generation Ultras did, as well.

sandflea
04-26-2010, 07:21 AM
I agree with Colpo, I had the Ultra, Ultra 2 mid and oversize... all tapered beams.

struggle
04-26-2010, 07:35 AM
^^^ yep, tapered.

Don't Let It Bounce
04-26-2010, 02:21 PM
I agree with Colpo, I had the Ultra, Ultra 2 mid and oversize... all tapered beams.My Galaxy was tapered, too.

dataseviltwin
05-03-2010, 09:08 AM
When you said tapered, I thought you were talking more along the lines of the "dual tapered beam" of the Prostaff 4.5 (early widebody - came out shortly after the Profile - "from the side" wide in the middle, narrower at the top/bottom of the head) and/or the Head Genesis, whose "from the side" profile looked like this )( . Nonetheless... I stand corrected...