PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use spiky shark?

kiteboard
04-21-2010, 09:18 PM
It comes in 17, 16g.
Anyone use it long enough to gauge tension loss?
Gut hybrid?
How would you compare it to alu power or fluoro?

David123
04-22-2010, 09:07 AM
I heard it was a really good string. Never really tired it. Heard from people that they liked it better than proline II as it offered insane amount of spin, control and power.

monomakh
04-22-2010, 10:49 AM
I used it once and found it horrible. Harsh, low powered, and not particularly spinny (despite the name and texture). It's definitely in my bottom rung of polys that I have tested.

Gugafan
04-22-2010, 11:42 AM
One of the best polys if your looking for spin and power. Tension loss was dramatic as expected with most polys, but the amount of work I could get on the ball was unreal. Also broke relatively quickly.

David123
04-22-2010, 12:08 PM
One of the best polys if your looking for spin and power. Tension loss was dramatic as expected with most polys, but the amount of work I could get on the ball was unreal. Also broke relatively quickly.

I heard the extra same thing.

Trickster
04-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Used this for a while last summer. Great string, I really can't complain.

Brilliant spin and power. My only complaint is that it's a little harsher on the arm than some other polys.

I was using it with PSGO in the crosses btw at 50 pounds in a C10 Pro.

MomentumGT
04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I used it once and found it horrible. Harsh, low powered, and not particularly spinny (despite the name and texture). It's definitely in my bottom rung of polys that I have tested.

A friend of mine who is around the same level of play as I am said the same thing so I didn't even bother trying it.

-Jon

Tennis_Crazed
04-22-2010, 12:39 PM
I actually thought it was a good string - better than pro line II for sure... better spin than helix

disclaimer: haven't played it too extensively

acer4tennis
04-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I had try once. It's ok, nothing special.
I like PLII more.

mambochino
04-22-2010, 01:31 PM
got very good spin and power, just not good if you have had elbow injury. i would recommend the touch turbo instead

brownbearfalling
04-22-2010, 02:24 PM
I have a set and the ridges on the string are sharper than blue gear or volkl cyclone. I have yet to play with it but another friend of mine that used a half set said it does not play too lively. If you are looking in the Kirschbaum range, try competition.

kiteboard
04-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I think the harder hitters, who hit more spin with stiffer frames, like this more. I am going to play test it when my broken foot heals.

Blade0324
04-22-2010, 08:05 PM
I really like spiky shark a great deal. Very nice string with excellent control and spin. Power is average, but it is a poly. Tension loss is not as bad as Luxilon but certainly it is not as good as some other poly's that are out now. Overall this is a great string that performs well and is reasonably priced.

I use it in mains with Spiral Flex crosses, strung at 60 and 62 respectively.

Gugafan
04-23-2010, 01:43 AM

SPIKY Shark is one of the best polys if you want to produce spin. Check out the ratings on string forum.net, the textured grooves on the surface certainly helped me generate some great bite on my slice serves out wide and topspin forehand.

A friend of mine who is around the same level of play as I am said the same thing so I didn't even bother trying it.

-Jon

Don't always believe what your friend tells you.

monomakh
04-23-2010, 08:45 AM
To clarify - I hit quite hard and use lots of spin. My setup that produced my opinion (I have a database for my string tests so I looked it up, ratings are on 5-point scale, no half points. Ratings are subjective, naturally, YMMV):

Racquet: TF320 VO2
Tension: @52

Rating overall I gave it was 2/5
2/5 power, 5/5 control, 4/5 spin, 1/5 comfort, n/a durability as I cut it out after 4 hours.

MomentumGT
04-23-2010, 01:26 PM
SPIKY Shark is one of the best polys if you want to produce spin. Check out the ratings on string forum.net, the textured grooves on the surface certainly helped me generate some great bite on my slice serves out wide and topspin forehand.

Don't always believe what your friend tells you.

You think it produces more spin than say Focus Hex? I thought Hex was good in spin but decent in everything else. Solid but nothing spectacular only on spin. If its better I'll consider it.

-Jon

ODYSSEY Mk.4
04-23-2010, 01:37 PM
You think it produces more spin than say Focus Hex? I thought Hex was good in spin but decent in everything else. Solid but nothing spectacular only on spin. If its better I'll consider it.

-Jon

I thought Spiky Shark and Blue gear pretty much got the same spin but that was with a hybrid since a full job of either pf those didn't really help in the spin or feel department but a full job of MSV hex was close. I personally feel MSV Hepta in a full job got me more bite then either of the two.

MomentumGT
04-23-2010, 02:00 PM
I though Spiky Shark and Blue gear pretty much got the same spin but that was with a hybrid since a full job of either pf those didn't really help in the spin or feel department but a full job of MSV hex was close. I personally feel MSV Hepta in a full job got me more bite then either of the two.

Yeah I was thinking if it was close to Hex for spin I would try the Spiky. My friend said for Spiky being a "spin" string it didn't do much. I personally thought CyberFlash got more spin than Hex did especially on serve, so I'm not really sold on trying Spiky just yet.

-Jon

pvaudio
04-23-2010, 02:06 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=323140

MomentumGT
04-23-2010, 02:12 PM

This was more of what I was looking for. Thanks pvaudio! I guess I'm sold on buying 1 set to try out. LOL. Maybe I'll move it up the list. . . I got 12 different sets on my table to try out. LOL.

-Jon

ODYSSEY Mk.4
04-23-2010, 02:26 PM

Couldn't find it in your initial review post. Was it a full bed or hybrid and did you try both ways? If you did; did you not notice much of a difference (spin) as I did?

pvaudio
04-23-2010, 03:22 PM
I only string full poly, so it was just a full bed of it strung at 60/60.

Blade0324
04-24-2010, 07:29 AM
To clarify - I hit quite hard and use lots of spin. My setup that produced my opinion (I have a database for my string tests so I looked it up, ratings are on 5-point scale, no half points. Ratings are subjective, naturally, YMMV):

Racquet: TF320 VO2
Tension: @52

Rating overall I gave it was 2/5
2/5 power, 5/5 control, 4/5 spin, 1/5 comfort, n/a durability as I cut it out after 4 hours.

Interesting thoughts here. I see what you don't like about spiky shark is basically exactly what I like about it. It seems that you did not like the stiffness of this string which of course converts to lower power and lower comfort. This is exactly what I like about it. Very stiff, low power, comfort is not something I ever notice as soft strings just feel mushy to me. I string spiky shark higher, at about 60lb and absolutely love the stiff feel. I can say that I do cut the string out after about 6-8 hours of play as it looses it properties that I like so much about it.

I guess that is why there are so many different strings, so we can all find one that suits us well.

kiteboard
04-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Too bad we can't see how good each person is, making comments, or how stiff their frame is, or how much spin they hit or like to hit. Spin is control. Control without spin would be Nadal without spin.

Kevo
04-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Spiky Shark is my latest go to string. It replaced Competition. I like it more because it seems to do a little better in the spin department and slightly better in the feel department.

It does lose tension, but once it's broken in it tends to stay playable until it breaks. Durability is quite good, but I use PSL 18x20 dense pattern, so I imagine the durability factor could change on an open frame.

I've strung it in hybrid, but typically use it alone at about 50-55lbs. Today I'm actually auditioning it at 35lbs. for the first time.

kiteboard
04-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Anyone know where 1.18mm spiky shark is avail?

ODYSSEY Mk.4
04-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Too bad we can't see how good each person is, making comments, or how stiff their frame is, or how much spin they hit or like to hit. Spin is control. Control without spin would be Nadal without spin.

Racquet RA 66 at 12.75 oz with 8pts HL
and I use a western FH and Extreme Eastern OHBH
Primarily a Baseliner ... only come to net to shake hands lol
But give a shot yourself see how you like it :)

Kevo
04-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Spiky Shark is my latest go to string.
Today I'm actually auditioning it at 35lbs. for the first time.

Played with it at 35lbs. in 30mph wind gusts and it was decent. I think I might need a little more time to adjust, but it was ugly out there today with the wind. I never really felt like it was loose though, so I think that's a good sign.

kiteboard
04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Volandri plays even looser. Haven't seen him a draw lately. Davydenko plays low. I won an open tourny playing at 30 lbs, 30 yrs. ago, with a matchmate titanium, which was warped and broken. Made it hit with a ton of spin, that nobody handled well.

Kenny022593
04-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Hey guys how hard is it to string. Say, SS vs. BB alu smooth.

Kevo
04-25-2010, 07:11 PM
If the SS is Silver String then there is basically no difference between that and Big Banger Alu. Many people probably couldn't tell them apart.