PDA

View Full Version : Maxim Touch users...

sstchur
04-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Wondering what everyone's setup is with Maxim Touch?

I've only ever used a full bed of it, which I understand to be somewhat rare. I expect most are hybriding.

So I'm interested to hear how everyone is using it?

For those who hybrid, details please!

And also for those who hybrid, do you still get the same soft, arm-friendly, ball-pocketing sensation I get with a full bed?

rasajadad
04-22-2010, 09:48 AM
I string full beds for at least 8 different players ranging from a 3.5 man to 4.5 men and women. Most of the people were using NRG or X-1 and like the savings without a significant decrease in performance.

mikeler
04-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I am a strong 4.5 who uses the 17g in a full bed to help my elbow. It breaks after about 6 sets for me, but I string my own.

chancep2120
04-22-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm a 4.5 and use it in the mains with luxilon alu power. great combo to say the least, spin potential is so good that it surprises you at first.

sstchur
04-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm a 4.5 and use it in the mains with luxilon alu power. great combo to say the least, spin potential is so good that it surprises you at first.

Have you ever used a full bed of it? How does your MT/Lux setup compare in terms of arm friendliness and ball-pocketing?

Ripper014
04-22-2010, 10:50 AM
I am using it in a hybrid with the Pro Supex Big Ace Micro and I really like it... I have strung it up for several of my friends and they all feel they have found Nirvana... I have not had one person comeback with a negative comment.

In my case I have been stringing the rackets with the Maxim Touch 17 in the mains and the BAM in the crosses. Every player has felt the blend has significantly increase their level of play. My perception is that it has added spin to their games... and maybe it is more about a level of confidence, but either way they are all playing better.

[d]ragon
04-22-2010, 11:08 AM
I string full beds for at least 8 different players ranging from a 3.5 man to 4.5 men and women. Most of the people were using NRG or X-1 and like the savings without a significant decrease in performance.

How does it compare in terms of durability to NRG2?

JackB1
04-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I am using it in a hybrid with the Pro Supex Big Ace Micro and I really like it... I have strung it up for several of my friends and they all feel they have found Nirvana... I have not had one person comeback with a negative comment.

In my case I have been stringing the rackets with the Maxim Touch 17 in the mains and the BAM in the crosses. Every player has felt the blend has significantly increase their level of play. My perception is that it has added spin to their games... and maybe it is more about a level of confidence, but either way they are all playing better.

What do u recommend to most? BAM in mains and MT in crosses or the reverse?

Does BAM in the crosses/MT in mains give significantly more spin than full MT?

I have only tried full MT so far and like it a lot.

drummerdan
04-22-2010, 08:39 PM
I hybrid it with black magic and it's pure, well...magic.

tfm1973
04-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I hybrid it with black magic and it's pure, well...magic.

black magic + maxim touch = black touch?

i have it in my racquet strung as a hybrid. maxim touch mains and some other synthetic crosses. it's been in my racquet for over 3 months now and still going strong. i realize the tension is probably as dead as my tennis skills but i honestly can't see much difference from when i had it strung up. i play once a week average.

oh and yes -- good spin potential and good feel and good price string.

sruckauf
04-22-2010, 10:59 PM
During the winter months for the indoor season when I play more dubs, I use a full bed of MT 1.25 in my Diablo Mid. Love the ball pocketing and feedback, and great on my arm.

During the summer months when I play 50/50 singles and dubs, I use Cyberflash 1.25 mains, MT 1.25 crosses.

Last year I was a 4.0, computer bumped me up to 4.5 this USTA season.

Very anxious to see how this string changes this year, as this has been my go-to string for a while now.

Netspirit
04-22-2010, 11:22 PM
I am using a full bed of MT 17g - bought a reel to see if the savings over NRG2/X-One were worth it (and practice stringing myself).

Not bad so far. I do miss the buttery, springy feel of Tecnifibre strings. At first my MT stringbed felt like it was made of dry wooden matches, but as the tension dropped a bit I started to get used to it.

I like that the strings do not move much - as if the coating glues them together a bit. I usually restring before I break strings so I cannot comment about MT durability.

mikeler
04-23-2010, 05:45 AM
During the winter months for the indoor season when I play more dubs, I use a full bed of MT 1.25 in my Diablo Mid. Love the ball pocketing and feedback, and great on my arm.

During the summer months when I play 50/50 singles and dubs, I use Cyberflash 1.25 mains, MT 1.25 crosses.

Last year I was a 4.0, computer bumped me up to 4.5 this USTA season.

Very anxious to see how this string changes this year, as this has been my go-to string for a while now.

Yes, I'm hoping the "reformulated" string does not change too much when it comes out next week.

sstchur
04-23-2010, 06:01 AM
I'm thinking of ordering some Pro Supex Big Ace Micro and stringing that up in the mains at around 52 and the crosses with MT at around 54 and see what happens.

I've never been a poly guy, but I've also never given it much chance. I like that BAM is particularly thin. And I figure that, coupled with the fairly low tension, might yield a result I like.

Anyone tried that combo or something like it?

schap02
04-23-2010, 06:11 AM
Wondering what everyone's setup is with Maxim Touch?

I've only ever used a full bed of it, which I understand to be somewhat rare. I expect most are hybriding.

So I'm interested to hear how everyone is using it?

For those who hybrid, details please!

And also for those who hybrid, do you still get the same soft, arm-friendly, ball-pocketing sensation I get with a full bed?

Most of my clients use it as a full bed but the ones that request it for hybrids usally put it in the crosses with something thing like BB Ace or Cyberflash 1.20

schap02
04-23-2010, 06:12 AM
black magic + maxim touch = black touch?

i have it in my racquet strung as a hybrid. maxim touch mains and some other synthetic crosses. it's been in my racquet for over 3 months now and still going strong. i realize the tension is probably as dead as my tennis skills but i honestly can't see much difference from when i had it strung up. i play once a week average.

oh and yes -- good spin potential and good feel and good price string.

3 months = you need to drink more Guinness

Looking fwd to # 1 Dubs

drakulie
04-23-2010, 06:16 AM
When I was using this string exclusively, I was using the 17 gauge, strung at 60+ lbs in a Microgel Prestige Mid. (didn't last too long though).

Since then, I put it in the crosses when I do use it in a hybrid with Lux Alu, or other Poly. Yes, you still get some of that nice feel to the string bed.

JackB1
04-23-2010, 07:51 AM
I am using a full bed of MT 17g - bought a reel to see if the savings over NRG2/X-One were worth it (and practice stringing myself).

Not bad so far. I do miss the buttery, springy feel of Tecnifibre strings. At first my MT stringbed felt like it was made of dry wooden matches, but as the tension dropped a bit I started to get used to it.

You really think that NRG or XOne feels much better than MT? Which Technifibre string fo u prefer?

Ripper014
04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
What do u recommend to most? BAM in mains and MT in crosses or the reverse?

Does BAM in the crosses/MT in mains give significantly more spin than full MT?

I have only tried full MT so far and like it a lot.

I will answer your question as best I can, but it will probably be a pretty generic response that you probably are already fimilar with.

I do not recommend this blend to anyone who breaks a lot of string, I myself am a classic ball striker in form and play. Only since I have been using this blend have I been hitting with significantly more spin. The proof is in the balls... tennis balls would never really fluff up for me... the nap would pretty much just wear down. These days after about 10 minutes the ball appears to be a 1/4" larger in diameter.

As mentioned I prefer having the MT 17 in the mains and the BAM 18L in the crosses... as you know the playing characteristics of the string in the mains are more dominant, and I like the soft feel of MT. I use the BAM to stiffen the string bed. Originally I did string my first blend with the BAM in the mains and MT in the crosses, and though it played very well with exceptional spin I found the poly lacked as much feel as I would have liked.

For me and the people I am stringing for they like the MT in the mains and BAM in the crosses. But like I said... string breakage is an issue, but like one of my friends said... it is the price of business and they are more than happy with the results that the cost is not an issue.

How much is enjoying your tennis worth to you?

Stringing the BAM in the mains and the MT in the crosses will probably last significantly longer... it just depends what you are looking or willing to settle for.

JackB1
04-23-2010, 10:57 AM
I will answer your question as best I can, but it will probably be a pretty generic response that you probably are already fimilar with.

I do not recommend this blend to anyone who breaks a lot of string, I myself am a classic ball striker in form and play. Only since I have been using this blend have I been hitting with significantly more spin. The proof is in the balls... tennis balls would never really fluff up for me... the nap would pretty much just wear down. These days after about 10 minutes the ball appears to be a 1/4" larger in diameter.

As mentioned I prefer having the MT 17 in the mains and the BAM 18L in the crosses... as you know the playing characteristics of the string in the mains are more dominant, and I like the soft feel of MT. I use the BAM to stiffen the string bed. Originally I did string my first blend with the BAM in the mains and MT in the crosses, and though it played very well with exceptional spin I found the poly lacked as much feel as I would have liked.

For me and the people I am stringing for they like the MT in the mains and BAM in the crosses. But like I said... string breakage is an issue, but like one of my friends said... it is the price of business and they are more than happy with the results that the cost is not an issue.

How much is enjoying your tennis worth to you?

Stringing the BAM in the mains and the MT in the crosses will probably last significantly longer... it just depends what you are looking or willing to settle for.

I have not tried BAM in the cross with multi mains yet....just the other way around. I will give it a shot. Should I string the BAM crosses a little lower and/or the MT mains a little higher to even out the stringbed? I usually use MT full at 2 lbs below mid tension or at 58.

precision2b
04-23-2010, 12:09 PM

Ripper, What tension would you recommend for this string combo in a Volkl DNX 3 OS 110? For the last 3 weeks I have been thinking about ordering Maxim Touch and giving it a try. Already have Big Ace 17 and love it... Thanks

Netspirit
04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
You really think that NRG or XOne feels much better than MT? Which Technifibre string fo u prefer?

Yeah, that was my feeling. I could be because of the strings or a bit higher tension, but I definitely got less feel from the Multi Touch stringbed. It was not "dead" by any means, but it was somewhat drier and stiffer. On the good side, I am starting to feel the ball better with MT, since the muted stringbed feel does not mask it.

Forgetting about the price, I would be split between NRG2 and X-One. X-One was very powerful, I was able to launch rockets with my forehand - you know, that enjoyable "woo-hoo" feeling. The backhand sucked though, to the point that I was afraid to commit to it. A full bed of NRG2 was the opposite - it gave me less power but more control and feel, so my backhand became much more reliable and precise, but the opposite thing happened to the forehand - I had to swing harder to get the same result, which hurted my consistency and precision.

At the net NRG2 was better. It felt like you only needed to stick your racket out and point to the place where the ball should go, and it would go there. With X-One it was harder to absorb the energy of incoming balls. Serve was better with X-One. But since my serve precision sucks big time, "better" only means I got more power from X-One and therefore more unreturnables.

I consider MT, NRG2 and X-One to be good strings, all of them, meaning the player is the bottleneck, not the strings, and you can have good time with any of the three. Which means a reel of MT wins for me just because of its lower price. I will reduce the tension next time to see if I can get some of the feel back.