PDA

View Full Version : Solinco Tour Bite

Lawnmower
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I got a couple free sets of Tour Bite the other day. This string is great! So much spin and control. Previously I was using a Babolat VS 16/Proline 2 hybrid and the full bed of Tour Bite just feels amazing. It reminds me of a luxilon that's softer and has more spin and plays better longer.

Anyone else here tried it? Post your thoughts!

sstchur
04-22-2010, 11:49 AM
How did you get free sets?

BobFL
04-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Nothing special. Just another "Hi-Tech" generic string with a "new" name.

Lawnmower
04-22-2010, 12:06 PM

You think so? I've tried a bunch of these hyped new "hi tech" poly's and none come close to the feeling of tour bite. I guess it's all personal feel for the individual person.

David123
04-22-2010, 12:07 PM
hmm.. how much is a set of tour bite?

Lawnmower
04-22-2010, 12:13 PM
hmm.. how much is a set of tour bite?

I think $12.

Tennis_Crazed
04-22-2010, 12:43 PM
I got a couple free sets of Tour Bite the other day. This string is great! So much spin and control. Previously I was using a Babolat VS 16/Proline 2 hybrid and the full bed of Tour Bite just feels amazing. It reminds me of a luxilon that's softer and has more spin and plays better longer.

It takes a lot for me to change equipment...i've been using lux alu for a long time and am reluctant to change.

Each time I try this string i really like it, but again am wary of moving away from my baby.

Anyways, i'm really giving it a good test along with some other strings, and i think i'm pretty close to switching over. Incredible spin and playability... GReat string

Lawnmower
04-23-2010, 07:16 AM
It takes a lot for me to change equipment...i've been using lux alu for a long time and am reluctant to change.

Each time I try this string i really like it, but again am wary of moving away from my baby.

Anyways, i'm really giving it a good test along with some other strings, and i think i'm pretty close to switching over. Incredible spin and playability... GReat string

Yeah man the Lux and TB are both great strings. The difference to me is the spin and softness of the TB. Lux dies a little faster too.

bdawg07
04-23-2010, 07:54 AM

I agree with BobFL. I tried these string in a full bed and hybrid on several occasions and did not think they had any extra "bite," not did I think they had any special feel. I was not that impressed.

Take a look at the strings made by Genesis. These strings are hands down better than the Solinco strings.

BobFL
04-23-2010, 08:17 AM
You think so? I've tried a bunch of these hyped new "hi tech" poly's and none come close to the feeling of tour bite. I guess it's all personal feel for the individual person.

I am happy if it works that good for you. It was just another boring poly iteration from the same German factory to me :)

genius24
04-23-2010, 11:40 AM

i recently switched over from using the pro hurricane tour to the solinco revolution but am very familiar with the tour bite as well. i actually ordered a reel of it with my revolution reels because i liked it so much. Bottom line, i think that the tour bite is an excellent all around string. it produces an unreal amount of spin (more so than any other string ive tried hands down), has great feel and comfort and tension maintenance as well. I am also very impressed with the amount of control i get from the tour bite. its been about a month since ive been using these solinco strings now, and i am extremely happy that i made the switch...ive never looked back since. im glad to hear that the strings are working out for you as well.

genius24
04-23-2010, 11:51 AM
I agree with BobFL. I tried these string in a full bed and hybrid on several occasions and did not think they had any extra "bite," not did I think they had any special feel. I was not that impressed.

Take a look at the strings made by Genesis. These strings are hands down better than the Solinco strings.

i totally disagree here. from my own experience and also what ive heard from a lot of my friends and colleagues in the tennis industry, there many other strings in the market right now that are better than genesis strings and are cheaper as well.

genius24
04-23-2010, 12:58 PM

lawnmower- since you liked the tour bite a lot i recommend that you try the solinco revolution as well....i think that the main difference between the two strings is the revolution produces less spin (but still more than enough) while having more control. it comes down to a personal preference though. personally, i feel that i get enough spin from the revolution, but there are times i will use the tour bite when i feel i need that extra bite (thats why i have both strings on hand).

bdawg07
04-23-2010, 03:08 PM
i recently switched over from using the pro hurricane tour to the solinco revolution but am very familiar with the tour bite as well. i actually ordered a reel of it with my revolution reels because i liked it so much. Bottom line, i think that the tour bite is an excellent all around string. it produces an unreal amount of spin (more so than any other string ive tried hands down), has great feel and comfort and tension maintenance as well. I am also very impressed with the amount of control i get from the tour bite. its been about a month since ive been using these solinco strings now, and i am extremely happy that i made the switch...ive never looked back since. im glad to hear that the strings are working out for you as well.

I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience with the Solinco strings. I do not think they are bad, per se, but nothing spectacular. The edges of the Tour Bite wear down within about 20 minutes of solid hitting match play. At that point they lose almost all of their "bite," and play no differently than a dozen other run of the mill polys out there.

This is just my two cents from my own personal experience with this string...

genius24
04-23-2010, 03:17 PM
I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience with the Solinco strings. I do not think they are bad, per se, but nothing spectacular. The edges of the Tour Bite wear down within about 20 minutes of solid hitting match play. At that point they lose almost all of their "bite," and play no differently than a dozen other run of the mill polys out there.

This is just my two cents from my own personal experience with this string...

really? maybe you just got a defective set or something. ive been using the tour bite now for about a month and gone thru many sets and never had this happen to me nor have i heard of anyone complaining about the edges wearing down. maybe you just got a defective pack or something but i really dont think thats an issue after pretty extensive use in the last month.

BobFL
04-23-2010, 03:48 PM
really? maybe you just got a defective set or something. ive been using the tour bite now for about a month and gone thru many sets and never had this happen to me nor have i heard of anyone complaining about the edges wearing down. maybe you just got a defective pack or something but i really dont think thats an issue after pretty extensive use in the last month.

Yeah, it must be a defective set. It is either that or they are spectacular strings right?

You said "many other strings in the market" are better and cheaper than Genesis. "Many" would be how many exactly? 50? 150? Name just 10 that are better and cheaper. Crapinco is certainly not better, maybe in hype that some people are trying to create. I will give you that.

chrisplchs
04-23-2010, 05:09 PM
From dealing with ATP players, quite a few are using Solinco strings, mostly the Tour Bite, some with Revolution.

The players say that the Tour Bite does not play as well as ALU but hold tension longer and has been spin and touch on feel shots like drop shots and slice

TennisandMusic
04-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Yeah, it must be a defective set. It is either that or they are spectacular strings right?

You said "many other strings in the market" are better and cheaper than Genesis. "Many" would be how many exactly? 50? 150? Name just 10 that are better and cheaper. Crapinco is certainly not better, maybe in hype that some people are trying to create. I will give you that.

Crapinco! Ouch! Haha.

For the record I think "Crapinco" strings are much better than black magic at least. SpinX is a good string. I find better control (personally) with some other stuff. I think a lot of tour players are using Solinco as well (or should we call it Crapinco from here on out? Naahhhhh).

Murray_fan1
04-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Strung up some Tour Bite on my PB9 and have to say I am very impressed with the spin potential this string has thus far. I am still evaluating tension maintenance as this is only the second hit but seems to be holding tension fairly well. I was able to get a decent amount of power without the loss of control and they seemed to be fairly comfortable. That being said I don't think there is anything that makes this string stand out from the rest of the competition. IMO there are quite a few good products out there right now that are as good if not better. Don't get me wrong Tour Bite is a good string but nothing ground breaking. I also have a set of Revolution and Outlast to try but from what I hear the Tour Bite is supposed to be the best of the bunch so I don't expect to blown away by these strings either.

christo
04-23-2010, 11:07 PM
No axe to grind, I hybrid many Poly strings, right now I have the Revolution as my main and like it very much

bdawg07
04-24-2010, 06:50 AM
really? maybe you just got a defective set or something. ive been using the tour bite now for about a month and gone thru many sets and never had this happen to me nor have i heard of anyone complaining about the edges wearing down. maybe you just got a defective pack or something but i really don't think that is an issue after pretty extensive use in the last month.

I do not think the various sets I played with were all defective. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have used the Tour Bite in both full setup and hybrid setups on numerous (4+) occasions.

I really wanted this string to be amazing and kept giving it a chance, trying different setups and different tensions. Unfortunately, it was only run of the mill, at best.

genius24
04-24-2010, 09:21 AM
I do not think the various sets I played with were all defective. As I mentioned in a previous post, I have used the Tour Bite in both full setup and hybrid setups on numerous (4+) occasions.

I really wanted this string to be amazing and kept giving it a chance, trying different setups and different tensions. Unfortunately, it was only run of the mill, at best.

well thats your opinion....and everyone is entitled to an opinion. there will always be haters out there. ive been playing tennis seriously for over 20 years now and have still not come across a set of strings that play better and produce as much spin and control as the tour bite...

babolat15
05-11-2010, 05:42 PM
I personally play with the Tour Bite. It is similar to ALU but is softer, thats what I enjoy about it the most.

Gene1994
05-12-2010, 09:50 AM
I personally play with the Tour Bite. It is similar to ALU but is softer, thats what I enjoy about it the most.

Exactly, it feels like ALU except softer with more spin potential and better tension maintenance. Only drawback is it moves more than ALU.

babolat15
05-12-2010, 03:56 PM
I do agree with it moving a little bit more, but in this case the pros outweigh the cons. Plus it is cheaper than Lux

Gene1994
05-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I do agree with it moving a little bit more, but in this case the pros outweigh the cons. Plus it is cheaper than Lux

Yeah for sure.

408tennisguy
05-12-2010, 11:07 PM

I've tried looking for reels of the solinco string but have not been able to find it. Where did you get it? Or did you call Solinco directly to order?

Gene1994
05-13-2010, 08:01 AM
I've tried looking for reels of the solinco string but have not been able to find it. Where did you get it? Or did you call Solinco directly to order?

Yeah, tennis warehouse doesn't have the reels so you have to call solinco directly and order.

WarrenT
05-13-2010, 08:16 AM
I've been using Tour Bite for over 7 months now and I love the string. I agree with previous posters that it feels similar to Big Banger ALU except softer, with more spin potential, better tension maintenance and it's also cheaper. But the biggest difference is spin potential. Tour Bite truly lives up to its name, it has real bite that really does give more spin. I won't go into too much detail as I have a full write up about this string on my blog (http://studiotsang.wordpress.com/2009/09/17/string-review-solinco-tour-bite-16/) so I won't repeat myself. But in short, my game needs spin and I've tried a ton of the "spin" strings. Most textured strings are gimmicks. Once strung & stretched out the majority of all texture disappears. Tour Bite with it's squarish profile, loses nothing after being strung and has been the only textured string that I could truly tell gave me more spin.

Tour Bite has been my string of choice until just recently. I got to test Solinco's new, black, twisted Tour Bite and that is my new fave string. More bite than Tour Bite if you can believe it and better pop, more comfort, more trampoline effect, more power. Below is a closeup photo of it on my racquet. If you live in Southern California & want to try this new string you can go to www.lahabratenniscenter.com and have them string it up for you, they are the only ones I know of that have this string right now.

http://studiotsang.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/string_twistedninja.jpg?w=450&h=300