PDA

View Full Version : Wrist problem/pain

karophiteblu
04-22-2010, 08:44 PM
About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I woke up one morning feeling some pain on my right wrist (im right handed). The previous day i was hitting my with friend and I don't think that I did anything unusual. Anyways, I thought it would subside away the next day or 2, so I continued to play. I felt minimal pain while playing. Unfortunately, my condition has worsened a bit and forehand topspin shots are a little difficult now.

If I were to do 1 complete pushup, I would feel something on my left side of my right wrist. Also the pain would go up to the "muscle of thenar eminence" area on my hand. When I rotate my wrist in circles, I hear some cracking when I reach the 2 o clock position going clockwise. Also, if I were to take a textbook from under my seat, I feel some pain as well, but not too much.

also, when I serve, I feel more of the pain. Maybe that is the reason for my problem?
So based on what I mentioned, do you think this is serious? Should I get it checked out? Massage therapy available?

Thanks!!

10ACE
04-23-2010, 08:42 AM
That left side- of your right hand if you go straight down your index finger/pointer finger right above your wrist are two important ligaments that have a very narrow region to go down to your wrist, and they can rub against each other, or the bones.

This is usually a point of irritation and can be helped by taking Aleve or Advil, they say Aleve is better for tendons (who knows).

Some causes- Grip size too small, perhaps too much wrist snap and not enough full shoulder turn.

Do you have any bone spurs on your wrist?

LeeD
04-23-2010, 08:50 AM
10ACE might have pointed it out.
I have the same problem, back of wrist, not frontside, base of ring or pinkie finger.
Ibu works wonders.

charliefedererer
04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
That left side- of your right hand if you go straight down your index finger/pointer finger right above your wrist are two important ligaments that have a very narrow region to go down to your wrist, and they can rub against each other, or the bones.

This is usually a point of irritation and can be helped by taking Aleve or Advil, they say Aleve is better for tendons (who knows).

Some causes- Grip size too small, perhaps too much wrist snap and not enough full shoulder turn.

Do you have any bone spurs on your wrist?

http://www.eorthopod.com/images/ContentImages/general_topics/general_tendonitis/general_tendonitis_dq_anatomy06.jpghttp://www.eorthopod.com/images/ContentImages/general_topics/general_tendonitis/general_tendonitis_dq_anatomy06.jpg

This may indeed represent tendonitis. But since it is persisting, you really should have it checked out by a "hand surgeon". (The surgeon designation doen't mean there is a likelihood that any surgery would be involved, just that this is the name of the specialty that treats problems of the hand and wrist.)

In the meatime, RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) are recommended. And by rest, that means some time away from tennis to see if it will improve.

The most common reason for oveuse injuries is from problems in technique that place too much stress on an area. So you may need a few lessons to change your stroke pattern. And if the problem improves and/or you get medical permission, building up the forearm muscles with wrist curls, reverse curls and pronation/supination exercises may help prevent a recurrence.

Stiff racquets and strings do transmit more shock from hitting the ball. What are you using?

karophiteblu
04-23-2010, 05:40 PM
@10ACE- I have been using a smaller grip size, but my friend does that also, and hes never had anything. and he hits harder than me and we're both on the same team so we play similarly. I do not have any bone spurs. I used a 4 1/4 grip with 2 overgrips today and it feels a little bit better. (usually I use 1 overgrip.)

@charliefedererer- yeah I really do hope it's not tendonitis. I hear it takes a very long time to heal. I am on my school's tennis team and we still have a couple of matches to play so I still need to continue. but after that i dont think i will have much more tennis. until summer haha.

I am currently using the Wilson Kblade 98 with VS gut@57 mains and luxilon alu rough@55 crosses.

10ACE
04-26-2010, 06:55 AM
@10ACE- I have been using a smaller grip size, but my friend does that also, and hes never had anything. and he hits harder than me and we're both on the same team so we play similarly. I do not have any bone spurs. I used a 4 1/4 grip with 2 overgrips today and it feels a little bit better. (usually I use 1 overgrip.)

@charliefedererer- yeah I really do hope it's not tendonitis. I hear it takes a very long time to heal. I am on my school's tennis team and we still have a couple of matches to play so I still need to continue. but after that i dont think i will have much more tennis. until summer haha.

I am currently using the Wilson Kblade 98 with VS gut@57 mains and luxilon alu rough@55 crosses.

Yeah stick with the two overgrips for a while, I am sure that will help along with rest, ice, and some aleve. Your friend may have smaller hands- u never know- but stick with what works for u not your friend. Good luck.

eagle
04-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Above advice plus RICE and use of sports tape around the wrist for support.

r,
eagle

charliefedererer
04-26-2010, 07:23 PM

It sounds like you are trying to last through the end of your high school season before giving the wrist it likely needs to recover.

If the wrist does feel better, now is the time to plan a strategy to prevent the whole problem or others happening again. That would include doing the thrower's ten www.asmi.org/SportsMed/media/thrower10.swf, with those wrist dumbell exercises specifically the ones that will help prevent a recurrence. But the full set can help avoid also the common elbow and shoulder problems that too many players also experience.

When you do start up, you may find that playing with a full set of gut is softer on your wrist and arm. Although the Kblade is not the stiffest racquet out there, there are plenty of Dunlop, ProKennex, Volkl and Fischer frames that might turn out to be better for your wrist. And it sounds like you may need to change frames to get to a bigger grip size. The increased flexibiltiy will also let you string slightly looser, which will be better on your wrist, and might let you get back to your favorite hybrid combination.

WitheringDemise
04-26-2010, 07:29 PM
It could also be a problem with a joint(I think, I'm not sure...I had this problem about a month ago) and my Uncle explained that I had moved it out of position and he helped me pop it back in. You could possibly go to a chiropractor or ask your doctor. After you pop it back in, it should reduce the pain, but it you should wrap it/ use some sort of support(Athlete's tape, Wrist guard etc) to help it go back to its normal position and such. I'm not sure if this is the problem you have, just trying to give advice.

karophiteblu
04-26-2010, 09:11 PM
@10ACE- thanks. :)

@eagle- Haha I currently use a wristband for sweat absorption but I know it doesn't really help. It just reminds me mentally that I'm actually trying to put in work for it.

@charliefedererer- yeah i should start doing that. what weight dumbbells should I start with? should I work the weight up? Gut is really expensive haha. I have a reel of luxilon alu rough. I just demoed a volkl pb10 and it's ok. its strung with wilson sensation 16. It's not bad. But the grip was 1 size smaller so it felt weird too.

@WitheringDemise- Thanks for your information. I've tried popping it back in but nothing happened. Keep in mind that I've had this injury since April 7th haha.

charliefedererer
04-26-2010, 10:03 PM
@charliefedererer- yeah i should start doing that. what weight dumbbells should I start with? should I work the weight up? Gut is really expensive haha. I have a reel of luxilon alu rough. I just demoed a volkl pb10 and it's ok. its strung with wilson sensation 16. It's not bad. But the grip was 1 size smaller so it felt weird too.

So you don't exacerbate the problem, start with the lowest weight you can easily do the exercises with without any discomfort, even if that is just a pound or two. Once you've proven to yourself that you can do five sets of five to ten reps without having more wrist soreness the next day you can gradually move up. You might also consider getting a hand gripper, and these come in different strength levels; or a ready/cheap alternative - squeezing a tennis ball.

The Wilson Sensation is advertized as a "great value in a multifilament". I don't have experience with it, but as a multifilament it has got to be easier on your wrist than the alu power rough was. Hopefully after a period of building up the wrist/hand/forearm you could go back to your favorite hybrid, but a multifilament or natural gut may help you from getting worse as your season wears down, then get you back on the courts faster after a period of letting the wrist recover.
As for the Volkl, I know it got great reviews from several TW reviewers, and definitely has a low flex rating, but like any frame, you have to like it after playtesting. And since playtest racquets don't necessarily come in your grip size, this can be hard to do.

ManuGinobili
04-27-2010, 12:53 AM
I have had ECU tendinitis recently, even started a thread about it, and this looks similar so you might find the following helpful:

-Ibuprofen (thanks to LeeD for the experience), prevents inflammation so the pain goes away and it doesnt hurt anymore... this is a MUST HAVE if you plan to play through the pain. Doesn't have side effects like Advil so you can take it till the problem vanish

- Ice/heat patch (like Salonpas) alternative treatment
- Wrist flexion exercises in your free time, and use light weights
- The only way to completely get rid of it is to rest, and it can take very long (almost 2 months in my case)

Your game (I understand that it's in the midst of a season and you shouldn't make major changes):
- Reduce spin on stroke, don't use pronation or wrist flick
- Lower string tension by a few pounds
- Maybe switch from ALU to a less harsh clone like Cyberflash
- Use the right grip size (already done so good :))

One last thing, you have the pain and your teammate doesn't because everybody is made differently, that is why some people play with ALU Rough and some can't even stand the sight of it... So, blame Creation

karophiteblu
04-27-2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the advice. Even if I take the Ibuprofen, won't it still worsen the condition if I still play, but just no pain?
I already use something like salonpas, but I put it on when I sleep. Maybe I should put one on when I play too.

I don't understand why I have the pain, though. I use luxilon a lot before and nothing happened. Oh well...

MayDay
04-27-2010, 09:36 PM
Did the smaller grip make you use your wrist more in your tennis stroke? Did anything change in your stroke mechanics?

karophiteblu
04-27-2010, 09:44 PM
MayDay, yes I feel that I used more wrist on my tennis strokes with the smaller grip. However, if I add 2 overgrips, I kind of alter the feeling of my strokes and my racket's balance. But at least I don't hurt myself

MayDay
04-27-2010, 10:35 PM
Even with the smaller grip, practise with a little more focus on slightly firmer (or more steady, if you prefer the loose feeling) wrist. (The feeling of holding your wrist in stady position (for example, your wrist in pushup angle), without tensing up the muscle, holding to the same angle throughout the stroke. Rotation of the forearm would rotats your wrist, but the wrist is still holding the same bent angle.) Avoid snapping the racket forward with your wrist/wrist joint. Use your forarm, arm, shoulder, core, legs, etc (all except the wrist) to generate the swing and power.

If that's not the cause, it could be your service motion....

Best thing to do is rest for 1 or 2 weeks, if possible. If not, try wearing a wrist band (tight) or use sports tape to provide compression and prevent full flex (or over flex) of the wrist.

That's just my personal experience with my own wrist pain going from a heavy to lighter weight racket, which was mainly caused by improper swing mechanics. (At first I thought it was my racket, my grip, my strings, etc. At the end, it was just me.)

karophiteblu
04-28-2010, 06:48 PM
All right, thanks. It's funny cuz when I do pushups, my wrist feels very uncomfortable; when I hit ground strokes, my wrist feels fine. I think it's my serves...well tennis season is almost over so I'm sure I will be able to get plenty of rest afterwards