PDA

View Full Version : The Crispiest Best Feel Multifilament

YenNguyen
04-22-2010, 08:01 PM
I'm switching from a natural gut hybrid with poly to a multifilament hybrid and I was looking at some multifilament strings, and I have heard many good things about the X-One Biphase, Xcel, and the Addiction, feel free to add any others as well, and I was wondering, which is the crispiest feeling multifilament?

Personally I don't like using a stringbed that feels mushy, more like hating it, but I guess that's a little harsh, I also see that the more mushy it is, the more cannonlike the strings feel, and lastly, the more mushy, the more dampened the feel is to me
So what I wanted was a crispy, responsive feeling string bed, with a hybrid of multifilament strings and poly. So between X-One Biphase, Xcel Power, or Premium, and the Addiction, and if those don't work feel free to make other suggestions, which is the most crispy, responsive feeling string. And while I'm asking, would it be better to put the multis on the mains or crosses for a crispier feel while I put either Pro Hurricane Tour, or the new RPM Blast? (Also, if it's not too much to ask, can anybody that has tried RPM Blast also tell me which poly is more crispy and responsive feeling?)

Murray_fan1
04-22-2010, 08:24 PM
I hate to say it with all the recent G&G bashing (I don't want to be called an affiliate of G&G for saying something positive about a string they have been boasting about ) but Weiss Cannon 6star Supercharged string is phenomenal, plays quite crisp and tons of spin potential for a multi.

ClubHoUno
04-22-2010, 08:29 PM
High spin players prefer poly mains and classic flatter strokes players prefer gut/multi mains.....

Best multis are IMHO:

1. X-One 1.24/1.18
2. Xcel Power 1.25
3. NRG2 1.25
4. Xcel Premium 1.25
5. Prince Premiere LT 1.25

Why are you going away from nat gut ?

If you prefer a soft feel, but not too soft, try X-One 1.24 mains and Luxilon Alu Power crosses........very nice hybrid.
Even softer feel - then try Xcel Premium 1.25 or NRG2 1.25 in the mains and alu Power crosses......nice.

If you like a stiffer feel, then try a poly in the mains and go for an edged poly like RPM Blast 1.25, Alu Rough, Tornado, BlackCode or Tour Bite and use a good multi in the crosses......

kiteboard
04-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Prince syn gut.

Lambsscroll
04-23-2010, 05:32 AM
X-one hands down. Closest to Gut I've come across and for you it sounds like a nice fit since it has a firmer feel than gut. I'm not sure why but X-one grabs the ball much like gut. The wool of the ball and the material of the strings cause a nice friction I guess. X-one also is very responsive and it stays that way for a long time. I've tried out a lot of multis like NXT, Xcel, NRG2 and a bunch of others but not Addiction.

Consigliere73
04-23-2010, 06:21 AM
most crispy, responsive feeling string.

It's starts getting into the realms of personal taste and subjectivity when you start using words like 'crispy' and 'responsive feeling'.....but the strings already mentioned - Xcel/Xcel Power, X-1 Biphase, Premier LT are all good strings.

Xcel/Power is probably the softest, followed by X1, then Premier LT. I wouldn't use too thin a gauge though if you're hybriding with a poly. Personally I'd avoid 18g X-1 as its just too springy in that gauge.

pvaudio
04-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Nothing mentioned in this thread even comes close to Laserfibre Supernatural Gut: Pro Stock. The best multifilament that money can buy, period. If you want crispy, then you can't get more deep fried than the LFPS.

JackB1
04-23-2010, 07:22 AM
the "crispiest" of those is definitely XOne. I dont think you will like Xcel at all and probably find it "mushy".

The crispiest multi I have tried is Gamma Asterisk Tour.

Deodorant
04-23-2010, 07:30 AM
try kirshbaum spikey smsh with prince premiere lt in the crosses, its proved to me one of the most gut like feel ive ever played with.

DrpShot!
04-23-2010, 07:36 AM
X-one hands down. Closest to Gut I've come across and for you it sounds like a nice fit since it has a firmer feel than gut. I'm not sure why but X-one grabs the ball much like gut. The wool of the ball and the material of the strings cause a nice friction I guess. X-one also is very responsive and it stays that way for a long time. I've tried out a lot of multis like NXT, Xcel, NRG2 and a bunch of others but not Addiction.

Huh? I've played natural gut for years and am getting used to X1, but it isn't anything like natural gut, unless maybe you string the natty at 70lbs, then it might compare to X1 at 55 or 58lbs. X1 is a nice, crisp multi, but it doesn't have the touch, feel or power of even the cheapest natural gut, it is more durable and withstands weather and humidity though, which are the two things that bothered me most about natural.

pmacino
04-23-2010, 08:11 AM
I think it's hard to top X-1 Bi-Phase as well..

ClubHoUno
04-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Nothing mentioned in this thread even comes close to Laserfibre Supernatural Gut: Pro Stock. The best multifilament that money can buy, period. If you want crispy, then you can't get more deep fried than the LFPS.

I totally agree, and it's my overall favorite multi string too, but I used my last set of LFSNGP last month, and since Laserfibre is such a crappy company, and resellers won't even deal with them, I've stopped talking about this string.

But yes, NOTHING beats Laserfibre Super Natural Gut Prostock.

pvaudio
04-23-2010, 08:51 AM
I totally agree, and it's my overall favorite multi string too, but I used my last set of LFSNGP last month, and since Laserfibre is such a crappy company, and resellers won't even deal with them, I've stopped talking about this string.

But yes, NOTHING beats Laserfibre Super Natural Gut Prostock.
Every single part of this post is 100% accurate. The best string in the world from the worst company in the world.

Lambsscroll
04-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Huh? I've played natural gut for years and am getting used to X1, but it isn't anything like natural gut, unless maybe you string the natty at 70lbs, then it might compare to X1 at 55 or 58lbs. X1 is a nice, crisp multi, but it doesn't have the touch, feel or power of even the cheapest natural gut, it is more durable and withstands weather and humidity though, which are the two things that bothered me most about natural.

All I said was closest to gut. You getting used to X-one seems like its not that far off from gut.

Xenakis
04-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Prince syn gut.

Decent string but not a multi.

ogruskie
04-23-2010, 10:45 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Maxim Touch. It's a VERY crisp multi.

mikeler
04-23-2010, 12:59 PM
^^^ Maxim Touch is great but I would not consider it a crisp string.

Netspirit
04-23-2010, 01:11 PM
^^^ Maxim Touch 17g at 55 lbs felt crisp enough to me.

I only play multis though, so a kevlar player will have a different idea of what "crisp" is.

pvaudio
04-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Maxim Touch. It's a VERY crisp multi.
Um, maxim touch is just about the softest multi there is. Crisp is not a word that I would even use in the same sentence with it.

BreakPoint
04-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Um, maxim touch is just about the softest multi there is. Crisp is not a word that I would even use in the same sentence with it.
I don't find Maxim Touch to feel all that soft for a multi. It feels closer to a mono syn gut to me. Multis that feel softer than Maxim Touch to me include PSG Multi, Hollow Core 16, E-Matrix, Vantage Multi, Reaction, Asterix, etc.

SteveI
04-24-2010, 03:48 AM

I have heard only great things about this string and would love to try it... where can you obtain it?

laboule
04-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Babolat Addiction gets my vote because it has very little string movement for a multifilament, even when strung low. It's also quite cheap. I can afford natural gut but I hate the string movement and it's so boring to string natural gut.

Consigliere73
04-24-2010, 08:34 AM
Babolat Addiction

Addiction isn't a multifilament. It's a monofilament with a thin multifilament wrap. Plays stiffer but doesn't provide the touch, feel or consistency of a good multi. It's not a bad string though.

At the end of the day, and IMO of course, the difference between one good multi and another good multi isn't a big enough a factor to make any significant difference in games provided you've had time to adjust to the characteristics of the string you're using. If you're a good player you'll perform well with any of those strings. Simple as that.

pvaudio
04-24-2010, 09:00 AM
I have heard only great things about this string and would love to try it... where can you obtain it?
You have to order directly from the Laserfibre site, on the phone, or sometimes a set goes up on the bay auction site.

Donny0627
04-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Addiction is good in performance and price

Donny0627
04-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Addiction isn't a multifilament. It's a monofilament with a thin multifilament wrap. Plays stiffer but doesn't provide the touch, feel or consistency of a good multi. It's not a bad string though.

There is not a single thing right about that part of your post. Addiction is a multifilament that has played great for me.

tennis4josh
04-24-2010, 01:53 PM
My multi of choice is Yonex Tour Super 850 Pro. I haven't tried all the multis out there, but I have tried the expensive ones like X1 and NXT and found Yonex to be superior.

If you string your own rackets, then global gut is a cheaper option in natural gut. They have got a bad reputation for strings breaking while stringing, but many people had positive experience with them. I belong to the later category. I get my GG strung from an experienced and expensive stringer and not a single set has broken prematurely. I just got a racket strung with GG 16 mains and GG 18 crosses at 57 lbs on a crank machine. Feels like gut and plays like gut! Very sweet!!

Xenakis
04-24-2010, 02:16 PM

At the end of the day, and IMO of course, the difference between one good multi and another good multi isn't a big enough a factor to make any significant difference in games provided you've had time to adjust to the characteristics of the string you're using. If you're a good player you'll perform well with any of those strings. Simple as that.

Addiction is a multi as Donny said, you might be thinking of Conquest which is a wrapped mono.

Also I agree about the Yonex 850, nice string. Bit pricey though (in the UK at least), slightly cheaper than some others though.

Consigliere73
04-24-2010, 02:29 PM
There is not a single thing right about that part of your post. Addiction is a multifilament that has played great for me.

From Babolat:
"This multifilament string is composed of polyamide fibers (PA) and polyurethane (PU) matrix, with additional fibers making up a central core."

http://www.whatsalltheracquet.com/archives/pictures/Addiction.jpg

It's a multifilament string in the sense that it was more that one filament but its not a true multifilament in the sense of a string that has a uniform bundle of 900+ fibres in the sense of Xcel, NRG2, LT etc. Those are what I'd call 'true' multifilament strings and the best strings for touch, feel and comfort because you've got a very high number of thin fibres. Addiction is stiffer - you only have to string it up and hit with it to notice that, and its greater stiffness is confirmed by its RSI stiffness rating. It's also less than half the price of Xcel and I'd hazard a guess that it has significantly fewer filaments within it, given the greater manufacturing cost that that would entail. Babolat also put the string into its strings for 'beginners' category.

Xenakis
04-24-2010, 03:15 PM
From Babolat:
"This multifilament string is composed of polyamide fibers (PA) and polyurethane (PU) matrix, with additional fibers making up a central core."

It's a multifilament string in the sense that it was more that one filament but its not a true multifilament in the sense of a string that has a uniform bundle of 900+ fibres in the sense of Xcel, NRG2, LT etc. Those are what I'd call 'true' multifilament strings and the best strings for touch, feel and comfort because you've got a very high number of thin fibres. Addiction is stiffer - you only have to string it up and hit with it to notice that, and its greater stiffness is confirmed by its RSI stiffness rating. It's also less than half the price of Xcel and I'd hazard a guess that it has significantly fewer filaments within it, given the greater manufacturing cost that that would entail. Babolat also put the string into its strings for 'beginners' category.

Understood. It's listed in my catalogues and on sites as a multi so assumed that was actually the case (not tried the string myself).

JoK3R
04-24-2010, 04:07 PM
Gamma Live Wire

beernutz
04-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Prince Premier with Softflex is my favorite multi but it is also somewhat expensive at $11.

tlm
04-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Laserfibre pro stock is the best ever, but i cant buy it any longer.So right now i would say prince premier lt is the best.

laboule
04-25-2010, 08:59 AM

I see now that you are somewhat right. I did not really check up on Addiction when it replaced Attraction which I am quite sure was a full Multi? But I must say that Addiction is more of a multifilament with a monofilament core... If you look at the pictures of the strings "interior" It is built up of 70% multi and 30% "mono", else it would be a synthetic gut? Either way Addiction is a great string. I string racquets all day and it is the one I prefer the most, myself...

For me I like it when I do not have to concentrate on my equipment instead of my game. String movement is one of those things :)

laboule
04-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Update...

Attraction was the same as Addiction but updated materials. But seriously Addiction is a multifilament. Check these pictures... If Addiction is not a multifilament then X-One Biphase is not one either... X-One is built up the same way as Addictions core...

Addiction
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/3899/babolataddcition.jpg (http://img695.imageshack.us/i/babolataddcition.jpg/)

Synthetic Gut
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3485/princesyntheticgut.jpg (http://img684.imageshack.us/i/princesyntheticgut.jpg/)

X-One Biphase "Full" multifilament...
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/1281/xonebiphase.jpg (http://img689.imageshack.us/i/xonebiphase.jpg/)

laboule
04-25-2010, 09:23 AM
From Babolat:

What does the fact that it is listed as a "beginners" string have to do with anything? Do you buy everything that has "Pro" or "Tour" attached to it :)?

David123
04-25-2010, 09:38 AM

wow this is natural gut right? and wow its prety cheap 18$?

MarrratSafin
04-25-2010, 03:58 PM
wow this is natural gut right? and wow its prety cheap 18$?

Not really, LF Supernatural is still a multifilament. I'd love to try a set too, pity the company is not ran well at all.

pvaudio
04-25-2010, 05:00 PM
wow this is natural gut right? and wow its prety cheap 18$?It's a multifilament.

http://www.laserfibrestore.com/product_p/sngps.htm

parasailing
04-25-2010, 07:31 PM
It's a multifilament.

http://www.laserfibrestore.com/product_p/sngps.htm

I would try these but has anyone ordered and actually received these strings from them recently? I have heard stories about not getting the product in the past.

Netspirit
04-25-2010, 09:42 PM
I ordered laserfibre supernatural gut pro stock once and nothing happened - my payment was eventually rejected.

A year after I ordered it a second time and again was not successful - that time somebody from LF e-mailed me to apologize for an error on their website that sometimes rejects valid orders from some people.

I e-mailed that person back and confirmed that I do want them to proceed with my order. A few weeks later - still nothing.

So, if you can receive something from laserfibre dot com - consider yourself lucky. However, do not be afraid that they will charge you without shipping the order - nope, they will not steal your money. It is getting charged in the first place that is difficult. )

murrmanfan13
04-26-2010, 05:21 AM
x1-biphase

JackB1
04-26-2010, 05:23 AM
You guys are all getting off topic here. The OP wanted to know the "crispiest" feeling multi.

I still say it's Gamma Asterisk Tour

SteveI
04-26-2010, 08:02 AM
I would try these but has anyone ordered and actually received these strings from them recently? I have heard stories about not getting the product in the past.

I had heard the same.. that was the basis of my question. No direct experience..however

Steve

SteveI
04-26-2010, 08:03 AM
I ordered laserfibre supernatural gut pro stock once and nothing happened - my payment was eventually rejected.

A year after I ordered it a second time and again was not successful - that time somebody from LF e-mailed me to apologize for an error on their website that sometimes rejects valid orders from some people.

I e-mailed that person back and confirmed that I do want them to proceed with my order. A few weeks later - still nothing.

So, if you can receive something from laserfibre dot com - consider yourself lucky. However, do not be afraid that they will charge you without shipping the order - nope, they will not steal your money. It is getting charged in the first place that is difficult. )

Thanks for your report..:-)

Consigliere73
04-26-2010, 01:48 PM
But seriously Addiction is a multifilament. Check these pictures... If Addiction is not a multifilament then X-One Biphase is not one either... X-One is built up the same way as Addictions core...

Addiction is a multifilament in the sense of it having more than 1 filament but its not a multifilament like Xcel, X1, NRG2 etc which have a very high number of evenly bundled fibres - typically 900 plus. X-1 isn't built up in the same way as Addiction because Addiction has a central core which the X1 doens't.

X1 looks like this:-

http://www.stringforum.net/g_image.php?id=85

aznfatmonkey
05-08-2010, 03:03 PM
I like the Technifibre E-matrix. Would that be considered crisp? It doesn't last very long though.