PDA

View Full Version : String Tension Power Difference

ken101
04-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Is a higher tension or lower tension going to give you more power for your game? Also, could someone tell my the benefits of a higher tension stringing or a lower tension stringing and what the differences are.

TY IN ADVANCE:)

DrpShot!
04-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Lower tensions will give you more power but at the expense of control. If you go too low, you'll eventually find the point you can't keep the ball in the court.

This is just my 2 cents - I also think middle-high tensions might be better for spin, at lower tensions the strings may not snap back as fast. If you go too high they may not be able to snap at all though. TW University has a video on spin potential of strings, check it out.

Marc C.
04-23-2010, 07:35 AM
like drpshot said, lower tension=more power, higher tension=more control. Higher tension will also decrease durability and give you a smaller sweetspot. High tensions can also exacerbate tennis elbow. Overall (at least for my game), middle of the range to lower tensions are the way to go.

Autodidactic player
04-23-2010, 07:36 AM
The Readers Digest answer is that higher tensions = lower power but greater control. Lower tensions = more power but less control.

If you keep this very general rule in mind and factor in racket stiffness, racket composition, head size, string composition, shape and gauge, string tension loss and movement, player skill, racket head speed, amount of spin desired, temperature, humidity and court surface you’ll always get the string job right! :)

sstchur
04-23-2010, 07:55 AM
Generally speaking, I agree with the other posters.

I would just tweak the wording and bit and phrase it this way:

String looser if you need more DEPTH on your shots.

String tighter if the balls are sailing long on you.

It's not (necessarily) 100% true to say that low tension = power. The stringbed deflects more at lower tensions, causing a slightly higher trajectory when the ball comes off the stringbed, usually resulting in more depth on your shots.

You may also be getting a bit more power this way too, but I just prefer to think of it as low tension = depth, high tension = less depth.

retlod
04-23-2010, 07:59 AM
It's not (necessarily) 100% true to say that low tension = power. The stringbed deflects more at lower tensions, causing a slightly higher trajectory when the ball comes off the stringbed, usually resulting in more depth on your shots.

^^^What he said.

David123
04-23-2010, 12:27 PM
lower tension=more power you can tell the rest .

LeeD
04-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Nadal and Federer both get stringjobs around 50 lbs. One slightly higher, one slightly lower.
They hit OK.

bdawg07
04-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Nadal and Federer both get stringjobs around 50 lbs. One slightly higher, one slightly lower.
They hit OK.

Federer does not get his sticks strung around 50 lbs. He uses a hybrid of Gut/Luxilon closer to 40lbs (46/42 actually).

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=291034&highlight=wilson+log

Lambsscroll
04-23-2010, 04:51 PM
If the swing speed is the same a low tension will fling the ball farther, BUT increased tension will allow you to swing harder with more control. There is less string movement or sawing of the strings with higher tension. Whats interesting about Polys is they have a slow dwell time. Meaning they stretch and comeback slower than lets say a multi. This allows for a bigger sweet spot and added control without having to increase the tension for control which reduces the sweet spot.

Donny0627
04-24-2010, 04:08 AM
The higher the tension, the more spin and control

The lower the tension, the more power