PDA

View Full Version : Gamma Strings - Your feedback please

pug
04-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Hello,

I am curious what Gamma strings you have tried, and if you liked or disliked them.

I have tried Asterisk 16 and was impressed with the playability, very comfortable too. I am going to try ZO twist 16 in the near future as well as Ruff.

Thoughts, opinions, likes, dislikes when it comes to Gamma strings?

Thanks.

mikeler
04-23-2010, 04:48 AM
I tried a bunch of Gamma string when I bought my stringer from them. Nothing impressed me too much. I'm a fan of Gamma regular synthetic gut but not the WearGuard version.

Soomerstime
04-23-2010, 04:53 AM
I have used the TNT2 tour strings on a few of my racquets and have always thought they were a good string. Seemed to always last me quite awhile. Never had a problem with them.

TheRed
04-23-2010, 05:18 AM
Gamma strings tend to be a bit overpriced but with their huge line of strings, there's something for everyone. There's one thing they do do better than anyone else - making high end monofilament strings (I don't mean polys). The one advantage of this is that monofilament strings tend to last longer as a cross in hybrids.

The_Question
04-23-2010, 06:04 AM
I tried the Asterisk Spin long ago, and wasn't that impressed at all. It felt very mushy & soft compared to other multifilament strings. Personally, I found the tension holding was poor. The price of the string cost as much as a pack of Gaucho gut...

Lefty5
04-23-2010, 06:19 AM
Overpriced hype. Their cheap strings are terrible. Their expensive strings are even worse. I have yet to find a gamma string where I felt like I was getting a good value. There are many better options for the money.

SpinDog
04-23-2010, 06:23 AM
I like the way Gamma TNT2 Pro Plus 17L String plays in my PDGT. I change off from time to time but seem to come back to TNT in between trying other strings. I'm happy with the control that I get with TNT2 and it wears and maintains tension reasonably well.

Orion
04-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Their synthetic is decent. I recently tried the $20/set Professional and was impressed with it. Played like a stepdown from NRG2, not as soft..somwehere in between gut and NRG. I was looking for an outdoor alternative to gut mains. Livewire was nothing to write home about.

precision2b
04-23-2010, 07:01 AM
Not a big fan of Gamma strings. I did like TNT2 Pro Plus. i strung it up twice. It had great spin and control for about 2 ˝ sets of singles then started to lose its magic for me. A lot of strings out there that I like better… :-D

markmdfw
04-23-2010, 07:09 AM
I use to swear by livewire pro,17, and it is a real good crisp string, However, there are better options. x-1, kgut, babalot vs / hurricane hybrid, for only a few dollars more!

pug
04-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Overpriced hype. Their cheap strings are terrible. Their expensive strings are even worse. I have yet to find a gamma string where I felt like I was getting a good value. There are many better options for the money.

Lefty,

I have heard mostly positive about their low priced syn. gut, did you give that a hit at all?

I am looking at buying one of their stringers and buying a bunch of string from them, so I want to make sure the string purchase is a good one.

Thanks for the help everyone.

DrpShot!
04-23-2010, 07:27 AM
As an NRG2, X1 user, sometimes hybriding with Big Hitter copoly, I thought TNT2 was crud. Below average feel, power and control and it doesn't last past 3 or 4 sets for me. Ugh.

Lefty5
04-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Lefty,

I have heard mostly positive about their low priced syn. gut, did you give that a hit at all?

I am looking at buying one of their stringers and buying a bunch of string from them, so I want to make sure the string purchase is a good one.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Their syn gut is the same as everybody elses, but I stopped using syn gut when I was 16 and starting breaking it every 6 games so its not really an option anymore. Now as a poly user, I can say the Zo stuff is laughable compared to the German manufactured polys. Hybriding in TNT or Live Wire is not even close to being worth the money.

Autodidactic player
04-23-2010, 08:00 AM
I'm more positive on Gamma's high end strings. I find that "Professional" is just about the ideal blend of power and control with decent durability when strung as a full bed. The downside is that it is expensive and, while durability is "good" for a non-poly, it only lasts about 5-6 hours with moderate topspin. That's an extra $15-20 per week for me! When used as a hybrid (I've tried it with Pro line II, ALU Power Rough, Cyber Blue, Black Code and Golden Set Hex) it does not give me the power to overcome the inherent "deadness" of the poly - but durability doubles since I use it as the cross string. So, if you are not a string breaker, or you're a money's no object kind of person, I give "Professional" two thumbs up. Otherwise, look for a more economical alternative.

JT_2eighty
04-23-2010, 08:44 AM
I use their kevlar (called TNT2 fusion 19), and nothing else bites the ball like it. Once this latest set breaks though, I'll probably try some of the cheaper alternatives as Gamma can be a lil pricey.

Back as a teenager I grew up using the normal Syn 16 they make, and was a great string to learn tennis with, but lacks longevity or long term playability.

TripleB
04-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Never been impressed with any of them!

TripleB

El Diablo
04-23-2010, 10:08 AM
The original Zo was possibly the worst string I've ever used, no control, no tension maintenance.

David123
04-23-2010, 12:24 PM
i generally don't like them.

Lakers4Life
04-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Most Gamma strings are made in Japan, which begs the question, what other strings are made in Japan? Yonex and Gosen. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of Gamma's strings are manufactured by Gosen. I've ran into some Korean strings that look and play like Gosen Nanocubic.

Getting back to the topic, Gamma strings are OK but a bit overpriced for what they should realistically cost. There are cheaper and very similar alternatives.

Personally I liked the orginal TNT but on the fence with TNT2.

MuscleWeave
04-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Zo Magic gave me no power in a hybrid, one lb. lower than usual. In a full bed, I strung it 7 lbs. below multi tension, and it's playing a bit too lively and solid. Not very good for spin. Very low powered. Not much feel. It only comes in 16 gauge. Thumbs down.

I have a pack of Livewire Revelation 17 that I'm planning on trying at some point this summer.

apor
04-23-2010, 05:32 PM
I've been muddling through all the multifilament strings available in 17g, and the ones so far that have impressed me the least are Gamma's offerings. Of course, this is just opinion... you should try strings yourself- everybody likes 'em different.

parasailing
04-24-2010, 12:14 AM
I also have tried Gamma Professional 17G and for the price, I would pass.

It is not as good as either Babolat Power or Biphase X1 or Volkl Gripper.

The Gamma Professional was neither crisp or soft, just somewhere in between.

precision2b
04-26-2010, 09:48 AM
I use their kevlar (called TNT2 fusion 19), and nothing else bites the ball like it. Once this latest set breaks though, I'll probably try some of the cheaper alternatives as Gamma can be a lil pricey.

My favorite set-up is Ashaway Kevlar 18 ga. mains and Prince Synthetic Gut 17 ga. Duraflex gold in the cross strings. I buy them by the real. I got the idea for this combo from Prince ProBlend Duraflex string, but the kevlar and syn. both are 16 ga in the pro blend. I like the smaller ga. The spin, control and durability are unreal…

g4driver
08-02-2010, 08:09 AM
I just broke a set of Gamma Live Wire XP 16g in less than eight hours. After two sets, it was looking rough. I hit four hours on Friday, two hours on Saturday, and popped it yesterday.

I strung it on my Alpha Apex 2, with Gamma Zo Tour 17 in the mains. It was strung at 58. X-One Bi-phase 16g last twice as long.

I normally get 16-18 hours out of X-One Bi-Phase when strung with Volkl Cyclone, TF Blackcode, Solinco Revolution, or Gamma Zo Tour.

I just bought five packs of Gamma Pro 16 since it was on sale for $15.96 a pack when you buy 5 packs or more. It gets such great reviews, I thought I would try it, but for me, X-One Bi-phase works. The Red X-One feels a little mushy (gummy), and much different than the natural colored string. It looks cool with black strings, but I like the natural X-One personally.

I think Gamma Zo Tour is nice string, but Live Wire XP is simply too soft if you hit on clay, or with any pace. It's fine for the 3.5s and below who never break a string, but if I break it in 8 hours, I can only imagine how quickly this string would last if my friends who hit much harder than I do were to use it.

Gamma Live Wire XP is too soft for me. I have one more pack that I will use a soft hitter, but would not recommend it for anyone who hits a serve 90-100 mph (my normal range) or faster. For the guys I hit with who hit 115 -120 mph bombs (yes, on a radar gun), I imagine this string wouldn't last a set.

Ash_Smith
08-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Most Gamma strings are made in Japan, which begs the question, what other strings are made in Japan? Yonex and Gosen. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of Gamma's strings are manufactured by Gosen.

Close Lakers! Gamma strings are made (and sold in Europe) by Toalson. I don't mind the Asterisk as a cheap syn gut - I used to use it as a basic syn gut restring for club players before I switched to RAB Texflex instead.

Ash

LPShanet
08-02-2010, 05:01 PM
The Live Wire series are some of the best on the market of their kind. If you like a stretchy multi, then they're right up there with anything out there, especially the Professional. Obviously, if you're a poly user you won't suddenly love a multi, though. The TNT series are very nice center core options, especially the TNT Tour. The synthetic gut is pretty typical for a low cost string...no better or worse than others out there. Their first ZO polys were VERY stiff, and quite dead. I think there are much better polys out there, although their recent efforts aren't nearly as much like piano wire.

High Roller
08-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Most Gamma strings are made in Japan, which begs the question, what other strings are made in Japan? Yonex and Gosen. I have a sneaking suspicion that some of Gamma's strings are manufactured by Gosen. I've ran into some Korean strings that look and play like Gosen Nanocubic.

Getting back to the topic, Gamma strings are OK but a bit overpriced for what they should realistically cost. There are cheaper and very similar alternatives.

Personally I liked the orginal TNT but on the fence with TNT2.

As far as I know, all Gamma synthetic strings are from Toalson. They are in fact, Toa's master-distributor in the USA and elsewhere (with rebranded packaging). Same with racquets, although specs differ from JDM. I do not know if they share the same source for stringing machines and ancillary products, but some things (like over-grips) are remarkably similar. Gamma is a distributor, not a manufacturer, in the strict sense of the term.

LPShanet
08-02-2010, 06:53 PM
As far as I know, all Gamma synthetic strings are from Toalson. They are in fact, Toa's master-distributor in the USA and elsewhere (with rebranded packaging). Same with racquets, although specs differ from JDM. I do not know if they share the same source for stringing machines and ancillary products, but some things (like over-grips) are remarkably similar. Gamma is a distributor, not a manufacturer, in the strict sense of the term.

That is true, and the relationship does extend to stringing machines, among other things.

schenkelini
08-02-2010, 07:28 PM
I m not impressed.

High Roller
08-02-2010, 07:36 PM
That is true, and the relationship does extend to stringing machines, among other things.

Thank you for confirming this. No wonder their top-shelf electronic machines are so good, especially at their respective price points.

mctennis
08-03-2010, 09:31 AM
I've tried several of the Gamma string types. I'm not impressed with any of the Gamma string types. They feel okay at first but they lose a tremendous amount of tension very, very fast. It feels very board like the next time you use it. I've given up on using any Gamma strings with any success.

sphinx780
09-09-2010, 08:23 AM
I used TNT back in H.S and college, loved em at the time even though you'd go through em like candy, snapped every other match. I did try stringing them up a year ago or so and loved the feel for the first set, but then the tension loss set in and they moved every which way...might try them as a cross in my hybrid set up and see how they do...the feel felt good for me back then, now I'm curious again.

Mig1NC
09-09-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm dying to try their 18g synthetic but want to do more low tension poly testing first.