PDA

View Full Version : Tension Loss - NRG2

davidahenry
04-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I have a new client who is frustrated about tension loss on his recent string job. About 2 weeks ago, I strung up his Fischer M1210 with Tecnifibre NRG2 at 60 lbs. Immediately after stringing, I recorded a Dynamic Tension (DT) of 44 with my Beers ERT300 Tension Meter.

He absolutely loved the stringjob when it was fresh. He plays often and after two weeks probably has at least 15 hours of play on the stringjob. He claims that the tension has dropped significantly (just within the past couple of days) and that he keeps sailing balls long, and he blames the strings.

I met him tonight to take a DT reading. Tonight I recorded a DT of 36 - a decrease of 18%.

According to the an old USRSA playtest of NRG2, it dropped 8% after 24 hours with no play. Therefore, I don't think that 18% after many hours of play is that bad.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

DH

ReopeningWed
04-23-2010, 07:44 PM
You should tell your client to buy a western grip and fix his strokes before he blames the string job.
Either that, or file a class action lawsuit against physics for his loss of string tension. :roll:
NRG plays great when it's fresh, and it still plays great when the tension drops.

David123
04-23-2010, 07:48 PM
agreed NRG2 plays great up until those things inside start coming out to a high degree.

bad_call
04-23-2010, 08:05 PM
suggest he consider another string. might be a difficult client to please.

fgs
04-23-2010, 10:22 PM
18% after 15 hours of hitting seems very normal to me for a multi.
if you would pretension the string, the drop would not be so high anymore, so he would not experience the BIG difference between fresh and 15 hours later.
i use to step on the stringbed after i take the racquet out of the machine for about a minute or two (some 15-20 steps). the string gets its elongation and keeps tension afterwards pretty well. there is a very small, almost insignificant difference between a fresh (not played at all) racquet of mine and the one that's just about to break. this is very practical during matches, when you just about go on playing without having to adjust to the tension difference between a fresh string and the one just broken.
of course, it might be a little bit difficult to just step on some clients' racquets, but ... pretensioning the string miight be better than "posttensioning" the stringjob.

davidahenry
04-24-2010, 04:34 AM
You should tell your client to buy a western grip and fix his strokes before he blames the string job.
Either that, or file a class action lawsuit against physics for his loss of string tension. :roll:

Love these comments. Thanks.

Thanks to all for the feedback - appreciated.

DH

Dags
04-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Hi David,

Some thoughts:

- How long do you typically have the racquet after stringing it? You say you took a reading as soon as you'd finished. If you still have it 12 hours or 24 hours or whatever later, I would suggest taking another one. It would be interesting to see what the initial drop-off was, and would give you a more accurate picture of how large (or not) the difference has been since he's actually had the racquet.

- If you're handing it over straight from the machine, how soon is he hitting with it? Whenever I've hit with very fresh strings, I've found the tension loss to be far more rapid (or at least, that's how I've perceived it :-)). It seems that if you give them that initial rest period, they settle in better.

- How did the strings look? He obviously hasn't broken them in 15 hours, and if they don't appear to be on their last legs then he sounds like a prime candidate for a natural gut recommendation.

jjs891
04-24-2010, 06:35 AM
I would think that after 2 week/15 hrs of play, the string must be very close to breaking...fraying quite a bit? How long does he normally play between the string jobs? I play with NRG2, and it doesn't last 15 hrs for me but it plays good til ~1hr before it breaks.

TheRed
04-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Tell him to go with gut. So if tension loss is still a problem, then the problem is him, not the strings. Or, like another poster said, don't give a just strung racquet. He'll use that as a reference tension.

gflyer
04-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Strung an hybrid last night.
Poly Star Energy Mains @ 55lb
NRG 17 Crosses @57
Measured DT after stringing 36/37
This morning DT was 32.
And I didn't hit with it 1 minute.
I guess it loses tension quickly.

jim e
04-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Most synthetic strings will lose playability after hitting, and depending on the person as to how they get along with that. There are a # of people here that hit with all poly, and have not changed their strings in a long long time.They do not complain, yet I'm sure that they do not hit at all like it was when just strung.You know this as I know that you hit with Lux. and you know it only plays for so long for you.There are some here that will hit with that for a long time.
So he lost 10% after 2 weeks af good hitting with the NRG, so he cannot get use to this, so for him, then the durability of this string (and durability I am not talking about breaking, it about playability) tells me that this multi should not be for him, as he wants something that plays a longer time but has the multi strings characteristics.
Best solution is to string up a set of a quality nat. gut like VS 16g. as that will play nice until it breaks and string it up a few lbs. higher than the multi. and he would have a string that should play for a decent amount of time,(For me and many others, nat. gut hits well until it breaks, but this guy maybe more sensitive, so I would just tell him that nat. gut plays much longer, and he can see for himself how long playability he gets, I would not tell him it plays the same until it breaks, or he will be coming back with it early), or if the $ is a concern of nat. gut, have him go back to the sting he used before the NRG2, as your string job was fine, he just did not like the durability of this string, where as someone else this change in string tension may not affect as much.Everyone is different reacting to tension or string changes, assure him that your string job was fine, but the characteristics of this string may not be for him.

David123
04-24-2010, 09:20 AM
[QUOTE=jim e;4590392]Most synthetic strings will lose playability after hitting, and depending on the person as to how they get along with that. There are a # of people here that hit with all poly, and have not changed their strings in a long long time.They do not complain, yet I'm sure that they do not hit at all like it was when just strung.You know this as I know that you hit with Lux. and you know it only plays for so long for you.There are some here that will hit with that for a long time.
So he lost 10% after 2 weeks af good hitting with the NRG, so he cannot get use to this, so for him, then the durability of this string (and durability I am not talking about breaking, it about playability) tells me that this multi should not be for him, as he wants something that plays a longer time but has the multi strings characteristics.
Best solution is to string up a set of a quality nat. gut like VS 16g. as that will play nice until it breaks and string it up a few lbs. higher than the multi. and he would have a string that should play for a decent amount of time,(For me and many others, nat. gut hits well until it breaks, but this guy maybe more sensitive, so I would just tell him that nat. gut plays much longer, and he can see for himself how long playability he gets, I would not tell him it plays the same until it breaks, or he will be coming back with it early), or if the $ is a concern of nat. gut, have him go back to the sting he used before the NRG2, as your string job was fine, he just did not like the durability of this string, where as someone else this change in string tension may not affect as much.Everyone is different reacting to tension or string changes, assure him that your string job was fine,

Well said Jim

Netspirit
04-24-2010, 12:49 PM
For some reason, NRG2 16g, according to that table, holds tension significantly better than NRG2 17g.

Too bad the 16g does not produce as much spin as the 17g, does not bite the ball and therefore plays a bit "oily/slippery".

DrpShot!
04-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Tell him to up his initial tension, he won't like the feel at first but after the first few sets the strings break in and tension will stabilize, they won't loose as much tension as they do in first few sets, so he'll be left with something he likes.

Centered
04-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Quality natural gut loses less tension and is usually better than NRG. But, it is livelier so string more tightly than with NRG.

I've found NRG 17 is at its best when the sweetspot strings are quite worn. The ball pocketing and spring is better than with a fresh string job.

Racer41c
04-26-2010, 01:30 PM
He absolutely loved the stringjob when it was fresh. He plays often and after two weeks probably has at least 15 hours of play on the stringjob. He claims that the tension has dropped significantly (just within the past couple of days) and that he keeps sailing balls long, and he blames the strings.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

DH

I think the other posts pretty much cover it. I've not experience a single string that doesn't change playability over 15 hours like gut. I have a racquet with Babolat Tonic + that's been in there for 4 months and it's just now starting to fray.

But if your customer doesn't want to switch to gut, I would take his tension up 1-2 lbs and let him know that at first it will feel stiff, but last longer. He says he "loved" the string job, so I'd try to stick with NRG until he want's to go another direction.

NBM
04-26-2010, 01:40 PM
I have a new client who is frustrated about tension loss on his recent string job. About 2 weeks ago, I strung up his Fischer M1210 with Tecnifibre NRG2 at 60 lbs. Immediately after stringing, I recorded a Dynamic Tension (DT) of 44 with my Beers ERT300 Tension Meter.

I met him tonight to take a DT reading. Tonight I recorded a DT of 36 - a decrease of 18%.

According to the an old USRSA playtest of NRG2, it dropped 8% after 24 hours with no play. Therefore, I don't think that 18% after many hours of play is that bad.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

DH

Did you prestretch the NRG2?

12-15 hours was about the max for me on this string and usually multiple strings would break and often even a cross string or two would pop. the stringbed would be badly frayed by then..it worked out fine however because that's when the playability really tanked. A sweet playing string...just not very durable or playable for very long.

fgs
04-26-2010, 02:48 PM
the idea with pretensioning the string is correct. it should afterwards lose less tension and the customer would not experience this 18% drop (which i have to state again in quite normal!).
on my strings i use another trick learned back in the wooden days from a pro stringer (still in charge of the bucharest atp tournament currently) - after taking the racquet out of the machine, you put it on the floor, carpet preferably, and step a few times on the stringbed (like 20-30 times). this basically will provide for the tension loss prior to hitting any ball. i have never had any trouble with the frames, not in the wooden days and not with modern frames either. when i break a string during match or practice, i just go and get my next one out of the bag and the difference between the sticks is minor - i basically go on from where i left, no need to adjust strokes, since the stringbeds will be almost identical. this rather harsh treatment does not affect string life since i still hit out with my setups without them going dead - they usually last some 8 hitting hours which i do over two weeks. it worked for me during all my years on a tennis court (and it's been some 40 in the mean time), and it worked with gut back in the old days, it worked with syn gut and now it also works with poly/multi hybrids.

decades
04-26-2010, 02:48 PM
client needs a new string that holds tension better. like x-one.

Valjean
04-26-2010, 03:56 PM
FWIW, periodically the USTA has advertised that a 20% tension loss is when to restring. As of now, you don't know what has caused his drop; whether it's his game, how often he hits, how he's been storing his racquet, etc. But I thought NRG2, back when it was my own string, hit well at first, then dropped off rather steeply. Eventually I tired of that.

At a roughly comparable price the Babolat twins, Xcel and Xcel Power, hold tension much better, but he may be beyond trying those out now.

He sounds like he's a candidate for Tecnifibre's Multifeel, when he doesn't want gut.

Centered
04-26-2010, 11:13 PM
just not very durable or playable for very long.
I guess mileage varies by the racquet and the players. NRG lasts a really long time for the players I've had switch to it.

NBM
04-27-2010, 06:24 AM
I guess mileage varies by the racquet and the players. NRG lasts a really long time for the players I've had switch to it.

for sure, but i was comparing the nrg2 to other similar strings..to that end, i never found the nrg2 to be very durable in comparison. i think their biPhase string solved the durability issue and tension loss issue, but at the expense of playability.

Fedace
04-27-2010, 06:36 AM
LOL, 18% tension loss after that many hours of play isn't bad at all.....NRG2 drops tension much faster for me, usually. Why don't you recommend him a string that keeps tension better like Babolat natural guts ? or Babolat Multis. but then all multis drop tension FAST. Best bet is to just Re-string once a week, every week.

Fedace
04-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Did you prestretch the NRG2?

12-15 hours was about the max for me on this string and usually multiple strings would break and often even a cross string or two would pop. the stringbed would be badly frayed by then..it worked out fine however because that's when the playability really tanked. A sweet playing string...just not very durable or playable for very long.

Does it work to prestretch Multi strings like NRG2 ? what if it kills the string liveness ? :confused::confused:

NBM
04-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Does it work to prestretch Multi strings like NRG2 ? what if it kills the string liveness ? :confused::confused:

prestretching too much for a given string can kill the livelyness for sure. the key is to know how hard/long to prestretch for maximum playability. i think most elastic strings like multis often benefit from at least a gentle prestretch. a good stringer should know which strings to prestretch and how much to prestretch the strings that benefit from a prestretch.

if i;m not mistaken, TF recommends prestretching the nrg2. maybe someone can confirm.

Valjean
04-28-2010, 03:00 AM
In addition to the Babolats I'm recommending, let's not forget Tecnifibre's own "twins" too--their alleged TrC replacement, XR3, and the one meant to substitute for 515, TGV.

In my own view, their play is reversed.

With XR3 much the better string, as well: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2008/07/tecnifibre_tgv.html.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2008/05/tecnifibre_xr3.html

ClubHoUno
04-28-2010, 03:03 AM
In addition to the Babolats I'm recommending, let's not forget Tecnifibre's own "twins" too--their alleged TrC replacement, XR3, and the one meant to substitute for 515, TGV.

In my own view, their play is reversed.

With XR3 much the better string, as well!

Do you also prefer XR3 over X-One ?

Valjean
04-28-2010, 03:20 AM
In play, X-1 is the crisper of the two, of course. The overall feel of the XR3 is better, and it plays pretty well. It probably compares to Babolat's Xcel, which makes it pretty good as a replacement now for someone who likes NRG2, though it's not as powerful.

davidahenry
04-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks for all of the comments and feedback Gang - much appreciated. I just emailed my client to check in on the second NRG2 stringjob I did for him and get his feedback. I also recommended two other options for consideration...

1. Babolat Xcel Power (my favorite multi)
2. Natural Gut

We'll see what he says.

Thanks again.

DH

retlod
04-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for all of the comments and feedback Gang - much appreciated. I just emailed my client to check in on the second NRG2 stringjob I did for him and get his feedback. I also recommended two other options for consideration...

Now that's customer service!

7zero
08-10-2013, 04:31 AM
quite old thread but I will try: do you think fgs this step on stringbed approach will work for TF TGV strings? doeas it mean you will lose some tension by this (2-3 lbs?) so you have to ask stringer to put it extra harder and then step to get what you would like to and they have prolonged period of this tension?