PDA

View Full Version : MSV Focus Hex vs Gamma Live Wire XP

achokshi99
04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Probably a dumb question but I bought some MSV Focus Hex 1.18 for my Roddick PD. Strung at 62 which seems too tight.

I am finding the strings a bit stiff (too tight stringing) and honestly not sure if I'm getting much spin on the ball.

Prior to this, I was using Gamma Live Wire XP strung at the same tension and getting much more bite/spin. The Live Wire was a multifilament with "rough" texture but was notching and having significant fraying.

So my question is is the MSV Focus Hex, which is smooth textured, just a poly that is not "for me"? Why does it feel stiffer vs the Live Wire, is it the multifilament vs poly?

Thx in advance

ODYSSEY Mk.4
04-23-2010, 08:13 PM
poly and multi are worlds apart if you read the package on MSV is recommended something like 54lbs ect

Uvijek Argen
04-23-2010, 09:58 PM
achokshi99 Not a dumb question at all mate. After read many good reviews I bought myself a set of MSV Hex, strung them half set hybrid in mains with multi in crosses at 43/48 lbs last Wednesday, go to court and soon as I hit those things felt like I strung at 60 lbs. I said to myself to leave them one more day and next day I have a twitching pain in elbow (after I being full recover of TE the past month and half).

They just felt like a poly used for a month & a half or even longer. Why anybody one a string that feel like that new out of the package its beyond me, like everybody said in the forum, "what's good for ones its bad for others".

I wont recommend that string neither to my worst tennis enemy ( do I even have one??:) )

DrpShot!
04-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Odyssey is right, polys and multis are totally different. Sounds like you need a decent multi though, look into NRG2 or X1 biphase.

pvaudio
04-26-2010, 12:47 PM
If you liked Live Wire XP, you'll probably love Gamma Professional. Great mutifilament IMO, albeit overpriced.

And no, MSV Hex and Live Wire play absolutely nothing alike. What you might want to try is to string the Hex in the mains and cross it with the softer Live Wire.

pvaudio
04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Oh, and it is complete ******** that the string only performs as advertised if it's strung by Tennis Warehouse. I still don't get why TW puts that up there; it's just going to turn away customers who string for themselves.

dr325i
04-26-2010, 12:58 PM
If you liked Live Wire XP, you'll probably love Gamma Professional. Great mutifilament IMO, albeit overpriced.

And no, MSV Hex and Live Wire play absolutely nothing alike. What you might want to try is to string the Hex in the mains and cross it with the softer Live Wire.

I have been getting Gamma Professional at $10 a set (shipped) for past 2 years, 10 sets quantity, which IMO is a great price for the string...

wrxtotoro
04-26-2010, 01:19 PM
I used to string my PDR at 60 using natural gut. But surprisingly MSV actually plays pretty well on that racket at around 52.
I am not saying that they have equal feel but both feels pretty nice.

JT_2eighty
04-26-2010, 01:33 PM
I actually found MSV hex 1.18 to play softer than most polys I had tried (lux, bam, ba, pht), so I think your issue is due to stringing a poly at the same tension you had for a multi. This will result in terrible feel if you are aiming for similar feel to your multi. Try the MSV at 50lbs, it's nice, but then again, you still may not like it and i've never used livewire either.

Any poly at most tensions can still lead to arm problems though, so be careful with any poly, and if you have arm pain I really wouldn't use any poly whatsoever.

big bang
04-26-2010, 03:54 PM
hex is a great string, I went from a full bed of multi (reaction 16) to hex 1.10 and its soft compared to other polys. Im staying with hex thats for sure!