PDA

View Full Version : making knot-tails ride along the frame

fgzhu88
04-24-2010, 11:07 AM
Would using the omnipotent parnell knot solve this issue? :) I normally use the DHH just because I can tighten each individual hitch with the tensioner.

Another thing I was wondering is if there was any secret to tightening knots with just the gripper tool other than just having a very firm grip? It would save at least a foot of string.

Last of all, is there any secrets to preventing frame distortion? I string at 56 lbs so that can't be it. I've tried the "Nickolay Davydenko method" of loosening the outer two mains and top two crosses by -2 lbs, but my POG's always end up a little wider

thanks in advance if anyone could answer these, and maybe if they are FAQ-worthy, someone can update that

David123
04-24-2010, 11:28 AM
hmm i am wondering the same question. I've never tried tightening my knots with the tension lol. Can't you still do it with the parnell? you just have to do one side manually. Is it safe to tighten a knot by tensioning it?

jim e
04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Would using the omnipotent parnell knot solve this issue? :) I normally use the DHH just because I can tighten each individual hitch with the tensioner.

Another thing I was wondering is if there was any secret to tightening knots with just the gripper tool other than just having a very firm grip? It would save at least a foot of string.

Last of all, is there any secrets to preventing frame distortion? I string at 56 lbs so that can't be it. I've tried the "Nickolay Davydenko method" of loosening the outer two mains and top two crosses by -2 lbs, but my POG's always end up a little wider

thanks in advance if anyone could answer these, and maybe if they are FAQ-worthy, someone can update that

The Parnell knot keeps the tail near the frame. The last loop pulls the tail towards the frame. You rock the loop back and forth, either by hand, or with starting clamp, etc. Never use the machines tensioner, as damage to the knot, or the string it is tied to can occur, and you gain nothing. It is bad practice to do this, and yes, from previous posts on these boards I know that some posters do this, but it still does not make it correct.Also if you string a lot of nat. gut, it is best to just hand pull the knot tight, as it is easier on the string, as last thing you want to do is finish a nice job of VS gut, and pull out the pliers to over pull that last knot and snap.Nat. gut is delicate, and no need to throw away $43.00 and your time, as hand tightening works fine. Just cinch it up nice and you should be okay.BTW. If you use a starting clamp to start your cross strings, you can then use all 4 knots as tie off knots, and use the Parnell.

While on this subject, to those that use pliers to pull the knot, that is fine, but it is safer to get in the habit of pulling it towards something, like your shoulder,and do this every time, as I have heard of accidents like a pair of pliers in the face, or eye when a string snaps, or pliers slip. Accidents like this are not worth it on any racquet. Be carefull!

Orion
04-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Jim e

GREAT advice. I use pliers and have had the unexpected snap and almost poked myself in the forehead. I now hand tighten the knot and the few times I use pliers I pull away from my body of into my chest area.

To the OP another option on crosses is to do a 50-50 string job, which will allow you to tie-off with Parnell knots. I find it to be a little tedious but a few more frames doing it should make it more routine.