PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Question Please Help!

Donny0627
04-24-2010, 01:21 PM
I am looking to begin stringing my own rackets. I plan on stringing for myself and others(But not so much that I am hurrying to get rackets done and to move onto the next ones). Basically, I am saying that I may only use this oce a week, so if the following machine requires a bit more time, it is ok.

I would like to stay under $400, but if I can find a really good one for like $430, that would work too.

My question is, will the following stringer acurately string rackets without damaging them in any way. Does the dropweight system make it innacurate? Are there any really good or bad things about this machine?

Here it is(Gamma Progression II 602):http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gamma_Progression_II_602_Stringing_Machine/descpageGAMMA-602.html

DownTheLine
04-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Try and get something with fixed clamps, and a 6-point mount system.

Mutual Power has great machines for cheap. People are weary of these, but I bought one and it was worked pretty well for me.

Donny0627
04-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Try and get something with fixed clamps, and a 6-point mount system.

It says that it has a "6 point quick mount system". Isn't that the same thing?

What are "fixed clamps". I am not new to tennis by any means but I am new to some of the stringing talk.

Donny0627
04-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Mutual Power has great machines for cheap. People are weary of these, but I bought one and it was worked pretty well for me.

Of the Hercules 750, 730, 690, 680, wich do you reccommend?

DownTheLine
04-24-2010, 01:44 PM
The one you posted is a 6-mount system. I would reccommend the 680 or the 690. The 700s have rotatinol grippers. That means you have to bend the string every time you tension and you'll probably prefer not to do that. Fixed clamps just hold tension better and there isn't as much "draw back".

Donny0627
04-24-2010, 01:47 PM
I would reccommend the 680 or the 690.

Of these two, are there any differences. Also, is the drop weight mechanism accurate.

sstchur
04-24-2010, 01:48 PM
I own a Mutual Power also (the Titan 7700), and I do feel that you get a good amount of value for the price.

James is always very accommodating (albeit brief) when I speak to him either via phone or email.

The build quality of the MP machines seems to be quite good to me.

I admit that there are a few features missing from my 7700 that I wish it had (spring assisted base clamps and SC mounts), but to be fair, it was my fault for not realizing I wanted those features before I purchased. The 7700 is exactly as advertised and a great value for what it claims to be (and is).

From what I know about MP so far, I would also say that their drop weight should be a good value, especially for staying in your price range and getting something with fixed clamps.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

sstchur
04-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Of these two, are there any differences. Also, is the drop weight mechanism accurate.

The drop weight mechanism is EXTREMELY accurate. It requires no calibration, is constant pull, and will always be capable of producing a high quality and accurate string job. Definitely no need to worry there.

Donny0627
04-24-2010, 01:49 PM
For anyone here who wishes to join this discussion or has somehting to add, here is a link to the machines we are talking about. http://www.mutualpower.net/sm.htm

Donny0627
04-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the advice, now do you reccomend the Hercules 680 or 690?

DownTheLine
04-24-2010, 01:53 PM

The only difference I can see is, is that the 690 has like a little ratchet gripper turn thingy lol.

Go too the second bullet down on the 690 and that's the only difference. Honestly, I don't think it's worth the extra $40.

sstchur
04-24-2010, 01:54 PM
Of the Hercules 750, 730, 690, 680, wich do you reccommend?

The machines you mention are all similar, but I would suggest the 690 because it has a linear gripper and unidirectional clutch.

It seems that those 4 are all the same with the only difference being two of them are rotational grippers and two are linear grippers.

The difference in price between the 2 rotational gripper models is one has unidirectional clutch and one doesn't.

And the difference in price between the 2 linear gripper models is the same: one has unidirectional clutch and one doesn't.

So it comes down to: do you want rotational or linear. Both are fine. Have owned an SP Swing for a while (which had rotational) and now having the MP Titan, I would recommend the linear gripper.

Hope this helps.

David123
04-24-2010, 09:10 PM
ummm id suggest silent parnter hip hop.

sstchur
04-24-2010, 09:38 PM
ummm id suggest silent parnter hip hop.

Because you've used this machine before?

David123
04-24-2010, 10:28 PM
no read good reviews about it and id suggest for him since its around his price range because of good customer support and fixed clamps which in my opininon and he asked everyone's opinion.

schenkelini
04-24-2010, 11:55 PM
When people ask for opinions, they want opinions based on others experience, not someone's interpretation of other people's reviews.

COPEY
04-25-2010, 10:59 PM
When people ask for opinions, they want opinions based on others experience, not someone's interpretation of other people's reviews.

Actually that's not quite true. People often ask for the opinions of those who are knowledgeable in a given area or have experience within a specific field, which doesn't require that you have first-hand experience of the product/item in question.

Having said that...Donny, the Gamma you referred to will definitely get the job done. The Hip Hop, which is also in your price range has been well received by many. For a machine just slightly out of your price range, the Alpha Pioneer DC Plus would also be a good pick. Eagnas' Challenger I is worth a look as well. Yes, there have been reports poor customer service/questionable workmanship associated with these machines, but there are also a lot of completely satisfied Eagnas machine owners.

I don't know what kind of racquet you use, but if you're wielding an O3, you'll want a stringer with a brake (See Yulitle vids for more on that subject).

My personal rule of thumb is to get as much machine as you can afford. It's not that the cheaper models can't do a good job; it's that there's typically a little more labor involved. You can spend weeks (or in my case months) trying to decide what machine to buy, but the bottom line is any machine is better than no machine, so basically do a little research, then pick one in your price range and go for it. When it's all said and done you'll enjoy stringing, and if you do end up stringing for a few friends, you could pay for your stringer in no time.

David123
04-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Actually that's not quite true. People often ask for the opinions of those who are knowledgeable in a given area or have experience within a specific field, which doesn't require that you have first-hand experience of the product/item in question.

Having said that...Donny, the Gamma you referred to will definitely get the job done. The Hip Hop, which is also in your price range has been well received by many. For a machine just slightly out of your price range, the Alpha Pioneer DC Plus would also be a good pick. Eagnas' Challenger I is worth a look as well. Yes, there have been reports poor customer service/questionable workmanship associated with these machines, but there are also a lot of completely satisfied Eagnas machine owners.

I don't know what kind of racquet you use, but if you're wielding an O3, you'll want a stringer with a brake (See Yulitle vids for more on that subject).

My personal rule of thumb is to get as much machine as you can afford. It's not that the cheaper models can't do a good job; it's that there's typically a little more labor involved. You can spend weeks (or in my case months) trying to decide what machine to buy, but the bottom line is any machine is better than no machine, so basically do a little research, then pick one in your price range and go for it. When it's all said and done you'll enjoy stringing, and if you do end up stringing for a few friends, you could pay for your stringer in no time.

Very well said Copey. I've been looking for a machine that best suits my needs for around 2 months which is why i felt i was obligated to discuss certain machines that i read reviews about. 2 months about machine is a lot of knowledge so i believe i can share my insight. I haven't been in a rush to buy it beacuse my friend broke his wrist and he gave me his progression 602 to borrow, so i still have a stringing machine and will give back to him as soon as i buy mine :P

Donny0627
04-26-2010, 12:22 PM

So thereis nothing about that stringer that will do any damage to my rackets?

sstchur
04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
So thereis nothing about that stringer that will do any damage to my rackets?

I'm sure that Gamma would be a perfectly fine stringer, and no it should not damage your racquets.

Generally speaking, no stringing is going to damage your racquets if you mount properly and according to the manufacturer's instructions.

That said, I do think that, if you can afford it, it's worth getting a machine that has fixed clamps. But flying will certainly get the job done also.

Hope this helps.