PDA

View Full Version : Neighborhood stringing ad

beernutz
04-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I have a couple of unlit tennis courts in my neighborhood which get quite a bit of use even though you need a key for access. They were refinished after Hurricanes Ivan and Katrina did a number on them and are now in pretty nice shape. I am kind of the unofficial custodian since I live in walking distance and use the courts quite a bit with my ball machine. I keep the wind screens hung properly, clean up trash and debris that I see on the courts (you'd be surprised) and empty the trash cans.

Anyway I put laminated ads for stringing on each court with the following text. The stringing pricing was figured using the string cost plus $10 labor per job:

Quality Racquet Stringing
I live in [name of my neighborhood] and charge
$12 for Prince Tournament Nylon 15L and
$15 for Prince SynGut Duraflex 16.
Others available or B.Y.O.String.
I string with a Prince Neos 1000
as used in many pro shops.
Call [my first name] @ [my number]

I also put a picture of my Neos along with some text art saying 'Speedy Service!' and 'Free Delivery in [name of my neighborhood]'.

I got two of these flyers laminated at OfficeMax for $1 and attached them to the garbage cans which hang from the court fences.

Thoughts?

Lawnmower
04-24-2010, 06:45 PM
Looks good to me.

beernutz
04-24-2010, 07:09 PM
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6176/stringingad.jpg

YULitle
04-24-2010, 08:02 PM
I would cut the first bit, the "I live... and charge". The flier is fine without it and would be more professional, less lawnmower-service-esque.

Also, maybe lighten the tennis ball, increase the transparency or something.

Looks good otherwise.

autumn_leaf
04-24-2010, 08:46 PM
i don't mind you stating where you live. i do mind the:

- really bright tennis ball (though, admittedly this can be an eye catcher, i would suggest a smaller tennis ball in the middle of the page that's more discernible as a tennis ball)

- the fancy letterings. it makes it look cheesy and amateurish to me. I think regular font is fine and more professional.

- and the B.Y.O, i would suggest actually spelling out bring your own since some people don't know what byo means.

David123
04-24-2010, 09:57 PM
yeah. Make it more transparent. The ad looks un professional. Cross out the i live.

beernutz
04-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the comments folks! They are very constructive.

beernutz
04-24-2010, 11:13 PM
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8829/princeneo
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8829/princeneos.jpg

ODYSSEY Mk.4
04-24-2010, 11:13 PM
^^^looks really nice bud hope you get some more customers!

David123
04-24-2010, 11:30 PM
i would use better adjectives :S such as professional, and add a little promotion in there as customers love the word FREE in capitals. String 4 rackets get the 5th one FREE or something similar. And instead of quality. Professional Racket Stringing. Prices starting as low as $12.

David123
04-24-2010, 11:31 PM
and i dont find the pic of the machine useful. Customers cant tell if its good or not. Otherwise they wouldn't go to u :P those who know string themselves in my opinion. If anything since its not electronic customers may think its not good as everyone knows electronics are the best,

beernutz
04-24-2010, 11:36 PM
David, thanks for your suggestions.

autumn_leaf
04-25-2010, 08:50 AM
i like the new ad much more than the previous, much more cleaned up.

as for the picture of the machine. i didn't know how much it really helps, but i find that people tend to like visuals. if the machine itself doesn't catch the eye you might want to try a tennis racquet instead so they know it will be something of interest to them.

David123
04-25-2010, 10:35 AM
yeah agree a tennis racket might help catch the eye.

David123
04-25-2010, 01:26 PM
all this talk about tennis ads makes me want to make one too :P Where are you going to be posting them beernutz? I want to go to like 6 tennis courts around my area and post like 2-3 ads on each court.

David123
04-25-2010, 01:27 PM
how did you make ur ad?

Lakers4Life
04-25-2010, 02:55 PM
For me, something eye catching and easy to read. Like "Broken Strings?" or "Racket Service". Keep it simple as possible. Most people don't have a pen to write down your number. Do you want to post your phone number in a public place? I would have some business cards made up, you can get 250-500 color business cards for $20 or free sometimes. Hand them out to the players you see on the courts. Word of mouth spreads pretty quickly in neighborhood courts. Even a local Craiglist ad gets one or two new customers a week for me.

David123
04-25-2010, 03:52 PM
yeah ill post my stringing services on craigslist for sure when i get the machine. And what if i just leave my email on the ad? I wouldn't want to leave my phone number. Is that professional or not?

David123
04-25-2010, 03:52 PM
ill only leave my email on craigslist too i dont want my number being on the internet.

beernutz
04-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying intentionally to limit my customers to just my neighbors for now so no craigslist ads or business cards. I have a more than full time job and the extra income is not material. I would really just like to string a few more racquets and get paid a modest return to help offset the cost of my Neos and to pay for my own strings.

beernutz
04-25-2010, 05:07 PM
David, I used a program called Scrapbook Factory Deluxe to make the ad. I bought it to make greeting cards but its pretty good for quite a few other things.

Lakers4Life
04-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I am trying intentionally to limit my customers to just my neighbors for now so no craigslist ads or business cards. I have a more than full time job and the extra income is not material. I would really just like to string a few more racquets and get paid a modest return to help offset the cost of my Neos and to pay for my own strings.

I'm the same way, this is a hobby for me. It pays for my USTA membership, Leauge fees, rackets, string, grips, and machine upgrades. I started with a Eagnas Flex 940 and now I have Gamma 6004 with a Wise 2086 Pro. All paid for by stringing service.

Most people (recreational players) don't care or know if thier rackets were strung on a Neos or Star 5. As long as the racket is restrung properly, and you give it back to them in a better condition than when they gave it to you, that's all that matters. It's all about service.

autumn_leaf
04-25-2010, 05:24 PM

not sure how busy your courts are, but unless the people that reply regularly break their strings you won't get a steady flow of return customers. by steady i mean doing even 2-3 racquets per week. most recreational players break their strings anywhere from 1 month-2 years.

also you can do a referral program. have them recommend a new customer and give them $$ or cashback on their next stringing, e.g. $3 cash or $5 off next restringing.

beernutz
04-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the input Lakers4Life and autumn leaf. The two neighborhood courts have been pretty busy this April--busier than I ever remember, with a lot of players I've never seen. That is what prompted me to do an ad and leave it on the courts.

If I don't get any business with an ad on the courts there are a couple of other avenues I can follow and I might try a referral program of some type but for right now I just want to keep things as simple as possible.

I guess the general public probably doesn't care about what type stringing machine I have but I figured it can't hurt to tell them what I use. Both the MRTs at the club I belong to string with a Neos and from talking with other players at the club I know that they know it is a well-respected stringing machine. That doesn't mean anybody else does, including my neighbors, but again, what could it hurt?

MuscleWeave
04-25-2010, 07:47 PM
I think your graphics are very good. The stringer looks fancy enough to the un-trained eye, and it ties your description in nicely. The ball shows that it is tennis related and the bold heading is very descriptive.

If you wanted to use the term 'professional' that would be okay, as you are professional as soon as you collect payment for a service. But I like your ad the way it is. The only possible addition I might make is a longer menu of available strings, and "hybriding available".

struggle
04-25-2010, 08:10 PM
personally, i would never respond and ask for my racket to be strung by a craigslist stringer.

bUT, that's just me. Craigslist is for buying a canoe (IMO).

although, i just bought a stringer and DO expect to do a job here or there for other folks, i wouldn't even bother with craig (you have to update your ad daily, silly IMO).

biz cards are nearly free. and word of mouth is like gold (assuming you are good and not a jack*****).

ad looks ok enough, what i'd expect to see at public courts. i think a stack/ring of biz cards is much more credible, however.

good luck!

David123
04-26-2010, 12:06 PM
personally, i would never respond and ask for my racket to be strung by a craigslist stringer.

bUT, that's just me. Craigslist is for buying a canoe (IMO).

although, i just bought a stringer and DO expect to do a job here or there for other folks, i wouldn't even bother with craig (you have to update your ad daily, silly IMO).

biz cards are nearly free. and word of mouth is like gold (assuming you are good and not a jack*****).

ad looks ok enough, what i'd expect to see at public courts. i think a stack/ring of biz cards is much more credible, however.

good luck!

Agreed somehwat but you may get some customers from craigslist so worth a try. And what do you mean you have to update it regularily? You just post copy paste and since your posts get deleted every month, just post it again next month nothing to edit.