PDA

View Full Version : Interesting read

David123
04-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Hey guys i found this.. its pretty interesting. Study guide for the MRT. You don't have to be part of USRSA to read it :P

http://www.racquettech.com/certification/studyguide.html

I have a few questions from it.

After it gets to rules of tennis it gets pretty boring but the first half is interesting and related to stringing.

The following is a paragraph taken from the guide:

"These include: alternating tensioning of mains (no more than 3 strings ahead on one side), pulling one string at a time, avoiding notching of mains during weaving, installing pattern specified by manufacturer, avoiding crossovers at the head, avoiding any mis-weaves in string face, turning in a frame without cracks or broken/cracked/unseated grommets, completing the bumper/grommet removal and replacement within 20 minutes, completing the string job within 60 minutes, and completing the handle sizing/grip replacement within 20 minutes."

1. What does notching of the mains during weaves mean?
2. What is crossovers at the head?
3. How do you do the bumper grommet remover? and wow it takes 20 minutes? and how do you do the handle sizing/grip replacement?

jim e
04-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey guys i found this.. its pretty interesting. Study guide for the MRT. You don't have to be part of USRSA to read it :P

http://www.racquettech.com/certification/studyguide.html

I have a few questions from it.

After it gets to rules of tennis it gets pretty boring but the first half is interesting and related to stringing.

The following is a paragraph taken from the guide:

"These include: alternating tensioning of mains (no more than 3 strings ahead on one side), pulling one string at a time, avoiding notching of mains during weaving, installing pattern specified by manufacturer, avoiding crossovers at the head, avoiding any mis-weaves in string face, turning in a frame without cracks or broken/cracked/unseated grommets, completing the bumper/grommet removal and replacement within 20 minutes, completing the string job within 60 minutes, and completing the handle sizing/grip replacement within 20 minutes."

1. What does notching of the mains during weaves mean?
2. What is crossovers at the head?
3. How do you do the bumper grommet remover? and wow it takes 20 minutes? and how do you do the handle sizing/grip replacement?

1. When you pull the slack string across the mains after you weaved the string , you fan the cross strings to prevent burning or notching the strings.
2. On the outside of the racquet, you place strings that are next to each other parallel to each other, especially at the head, as if there is a crossover it not only looks sloppy, but raises the string above the bumper to create a potential problem hitting the string on a ground scraper.
You should also not have crossovers at the throat as well, as it just looks very sloppy and not professional.
3. Are you asking about the grommet grinder? Not sure your question, but like I mentioned on another post, the USRSA manual has all he information and more. If you read that you would not be posting many questions at all, as all the basics are there.I know you said earlier that is was not worth it. You get a great amount of infor. plus free strings. You of all people would benefit!

David123
04-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks, but i don't understand your answer for number 2 what is crossovers :S? and also i am actaully starting to consider the trial. I'll probably get it soon. In addition, how can you tell when you need a grommet change? i think i need it for one of my rackets one of the grommets half of it as like broken. Lastly

Autodidactic player
04-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks, but i don't understand your answer for number 2 what is crossovers :S? and also i am actaully starting to consider the trial. I'll probably get it soon. In addition, how can you tell when you need a grommet change? i think i need it for one of my rackets one of the grommets half of it as like broken. Lastly

When two strings occupy the same space on the outside of the frame - for example when pulled across other string(s) to tie off - they can cross over and form an X pattern with one string raised above the other. As the article states, this not only looks sloppy but can cause the string to break when it is scrapped on the ground because the "crossover" string is raised above the other string. You always want the strings to lay flat and parallel. Hope this makes sense.

jim e
04-26-2010, 02:11 PM

Sometimes a main string on the outside of the racquet will be in same area as cross string occupying a similar spot, so do not cross them over each other, you make them parallel to each other(you must have seen this with the # of racquets you have strung so far!). You do not want to make it a crossover, either at the Head, or throat, as it looks sloppy, and at the head a crossover string can be sticking out more and can cause damage to the string if racquet scrapes ground., as I mentioned earlier.

As far as grommet, if only one cracked or broken, to the point where the string will cut into the frame, then you have 3 choices:
1. Use a grommet grinder, and remove the individule grommet, and replace the single grommet.You can purchase single size grommet packs(different sizes for each)
2. Leave as is, but use a teflon tube, and tube the spot.
3.Replace the entire bumper grommet set.(Best option if a few broken or worn grommets) Cheap enough if still available, as they get discontinued early.

David123
04-26-2010, 04:37 PM
i have the k sixone 95 16x18 racket. And ohhh i get it now. But what if you can't fit it in without making it an x? and why is it considered sloppy? who notices that?

Autodidactic player
04-26-2010, 04:58 PM
what if you can't fit it in without making it an x?

You can always fit the strings without crossing over if you are careful.

why is it considered sloppy?

It's considered sloppy because the crossover makes an ugly budge (that's why the string can break if the racket scrapes the ground). In addition, the racket always looks better - more professionally done - when the stringer pays attention to the little details.

who notices that?

Your customers!

David123
04-26-2010, 05:15 PM
haha alright thanks for the input :) its appreciated :)

struggle
04-26-2010, 06:22 PM
i have the k sixone 95 16x18 racket. And ohhh i get it now. But what if you can't fit it in without making it an x? and why is it considered sloppy? who notices that?

put it in a poly bag and they'll never notice!! ;)

David123
04-27-2010, 07:07 PM
haha maybe :P tbuggle do you plan on stringing for others?