PDA

View Full Version : College and Professional Player's volleying skills

darthpwner
04-25-2010, 06:28 PM
It seems to me that all of the Div 1 college players are competent at the net since they play both singles and doubles. In fact, it seems to me that they look stronger at the net than most professional players like Davydenko, Soderling, Roddick, Nadal, Djokovic, etc. Anyone else agree?

lilxjohnyy
04-25-2010, 07:22 PM
I disagree. If you watch the pro's play double a lot of times you see their true potential at the net

andfor
04-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Disagree. Almost every ATP player mentioned has had some success at the ATP tour level in doubles. Nadal and Roddick and Djokovic can all volley in doubles. College players form may appear better but you have to remember the pace in college is less than pros. College players sucessfully transitioning to the ATP tour doubles level is limited. .

tennisjon
04-26-2010, 11:17 AM
I agree to a certain extent. The elite of college players usually have significantly more experience playing doubles and being coached the right way to play doubles. Many of the pros that went from high school to the pros may not be as experienced in the positioning aspect of doubles and most certainly lack the coaching of how to play it. Many pros may lack certain instincts at the net in doubles from not playing it as much in a coached atmosphere. That being said, most pros who earn a living on the tour do so because they both have more talent, athleticism, and head for the game, which makes up for a lot of what the top college players who don't make it on the tour do have. You wind up seeing that many professional doubles players were college players, while the ones who succeed more as singles players skipped out on that experience.

jaggy
04-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Way too many college players volley 'safely'. In the pros they would get the next shot ripped at or past them.