PDA

View Full Version : Do pro's use a smaller grip?

siz2pitt
04-25-2010, 06:43 PM
I was discussing this with a friend the other day. He said that fed and nadal both use 1/8 grips on their racquets to produce more spin. I do realize that the smaller the grip size the more spin the racquet can produce but it feels uncomfortable. I tried downgrading from a 1/2 to a 3/8's and some parts of my hand were not even touching the racquet. Do fed and nadal use smaller grips than their hands? And if they do how do they hold it so that it doesn't hurt?

Mdubb23
04-25-2010, 06:48 PM
Your friend's wrong. Fed uses 4 3/8, and Nadal 4 1/4. It's completely personal preference. I'm not aware of any ATP pros which use anything smaller than 4 1/4. Ivo Karlovic uses 5 1/4. Average, from data I've compiled, seems to be 4 1/2. Remember, most pros have custom molded handles, so these are just approximations. For example, I've 5 of Andy Roddick's personal GT paintjobs, and they all measure at 4 7/16 (between 3/8 and 1/2) and are all custom molded. Agassi used 4 9/16. Like I said, pros are all over the map, but I'm not aware of anyone who uses 4 1/8.

Shankapotomus
04-25-2010, 06:53 PM
mdubb23, ive wondered how nadal keeps a firm grip on his 4 1/4 size grip. is that why he wraps his fingers with that weird tape (up close it looks like it has some texture in it, maybe to help keep the grip from slipping?)