PDA

View Full Version : Victor Imperial Gut

Autodidactic player
04-26-2010, 10:52 AM
What ever happened to Victor Imperial Gut? I used to love that string. Back in the mid-70's I was an assistant pro at a club on Long Island and managed to get on the Davis "free list". Twice a year Davis would send me a couple of Davis Classic II rackets, Tretorn shoes, Fred Perry clothing and Victor Imperial gut strings. Based on this, I have always assumed that Davis, Fred Perry, Tretorn and Victor were the same company. I think Davis stopped making rackets in the 80's and I haven't seen anyone playing with Tretorns in many years. Did the whole company - except Fred Perry clothing which Andy Murray wore until about a year ago - go under? Just wondering! :)

David123
04-26-2010, 10:54 AM
I have never heard of it.. i am not quite sure what happened.

MAX PLY
04-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Both Victor Imperial Gut and its nylon knockoff, Victor Staytite (both with a blue spiral) were marketed by T.A. Davis--also of Davis Racquet fame in the 50s, 60s and 70s. I actually have a few vintage TAD frames (a Classic and 2 Imperials) and have some old sets of VI (much too dry to attempt ot string at any reasonable tension) as part of my collection. Despite possessing those items, I really don't know what happened to them but am pretty sure they don't exist anymore. You might try checking with someone on the Classic Racquet section.

decades
04-26-2010, 03:48 PM
not sure but I know Pacific sells some gut that looks like it. It may just be the same "formula"....

jnd28
04-26-2010, 06:44 PM
If I recall they had a second line of gut as well. Cannot remember the name of it. THe imperial was the top of the line with the blue spiral and the second line was a solid color. If I recall the imperial was like a $12.00 string job and the second line gut was $9.00. This is when a new Dunlop MaxFly was 22.00.
If memory serves me the TAD Imperial racket was a real work of art and was also pretty expensive for the time.

jnd28

jim e
04-26-2010, 06:54 PM
If I recall they had a second line of gut as well. Cannot remember the name of it. THe imperial was the top of the line with the blue spiral and the second line was a solid color. If I recall the imperial was like a $12.00 string job and the second line gut was $9.00. This is when a new Dunlop MaxFly was 22.00.
If memory serves me the TAD Imperial racket was a real work of art and was also pretty expensive for the time.

jnd28

I strung a lot of Victor Imperial back in the day. I actually remember that the cost was $10.00 a set to purchase one set to string one racquet, and I believe it came in a 34' set, and Bow Brand was the same cost as I strung a lot of that as well, and Bow Brand came in 2 - 17' sections in one package, as that was the length to string one wooden racquet.I still have one of those old Bow Brand sets from the early 70's.

Steve Huff
04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
I used Victor Imperial until I couldn't get it any more. Their 2nd line was Victor Superb. I have a couple of TAD rackets too. I never used them back in the day, as they were the definition of flexible. I preferred a stiffer woody (doesn't everybody) back then. After Victor went under, I started using VS Africord and PDP Rough Gut when I could find it. I also used some Snauwaert gut and Dunlop gut. The Snauwaert gut I had was sheep gut instead of beef gut.