PDA

View Full Version : Newbies and tension

mb73
04-26-2010, 11:12 AM
This is my first post here. I still consider myself new to the game, although I am learning a great deal thanks to your contributions on message boards such as this one.

One interesting observation that I've made is that people here tend to encourage the newbies to string their rackets toward the high end of a frame's recommended tension limits. This really slowed down my progress when I started playing in my opinion, because I had difficulty both in getting the "feel" for the sweet spot and generating spin. Upon reading here that many of you use a much lower tension than the 62 pounds I was using, I thought I'd give it a try. After all, I had access to a stringing machine. Lo and behold my game immediately began to take shape. I quickly began to develop a feel for the ball and learned to apply good topspin to my groundstrokes. I firmly believe using a racket strung so tightly it felt like a piece of plywood was impeding my ability to learn what a good shot feels like. I still have a lot to learn, being a 3.5 player, but I would never advise anyone to start off with a high tension string job.

Any thoughts on this?

mb73
04-26-2010, 11:14 AM
I meant to say that people here (as in where I live) tend to encourage newbies to string tight...

Centered
04-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Some players play well with low tension. Some play well with high. Some play well with moderate tension.

I know a coach who wants everyone to string at a very low tension with poly. Some can't adjust their game to it, but it works for him. I play better with a higher tension because I use powerful thin strings and hit flat.

It also comes down to the type of string and the string pattern. Denser string patterns often benefit from lower tensions, while more "open" string patterns can become wild at lower tensions.

mb73
04-26-2010, 12:24 PM
Centered, I do agree that different tensions work for different people. My main concern is that by starting off with a very tight tension a developing player never really gets to feel the ball at contact. But, again, this is coming from a relative newbie myself!

Racer41c
04-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Centered, I do agree that different tensions work for different people. My main concern is that by starting off with a very tight tension a developing player never really gets to feel the ball at contact. But, again, this is coming from a relative newbie myself!

wow, I see in your recent post your using BC at 55. For me, that setup would fly all over the place. So me thinks is a combination of string type, tension, racquet and technique/style.

ManuGinobili
04-26-2010, 11:34 PM
I do think newbies should go low tension... What they do mostly on the court is hitting ball after ball that are fed to them, trying to develop a consistent stroke and feel rather than trying to keep it in the court... The comfort and durability advantages of low tension would definitely help I think, not to mention some added power and spin.

That was for total newbies of course... If you're a 3.5 and competing then it might not apply as much, but I would still recommend lower tension, at least in the low 50s

Irvin
04-27-2010, 03:44 AM
I think someone new should start with the reccomended tension. That is what it is there for.

Irvin

pheonix6579
04-27-2010, 03:52 AM
IMO you should go as low as you can with tension until you have no control...you can always increase the tension later. If you start really tight and work you way down there is a higher percentage for injury to your arm.

mb73
04-27-2010, 04:10 AM
IMO you should go as low as you can with tension until you have no control...you can always increase the tension later. If you start really tight and work you way down there is a higher percentage for injury to your arm.

Added risk of injury with higher tension is another thing I really didn't think about. You're right.

mb73
04-27-2010, 04:11 AM
I think someone new should start with the reccomended tension. That is what it is there for.

Irvin

I think one should stay within the range recommended by the manufacturer, for sure. I just advocate going to the lower end of that range.

Tennis_Man
04-27-2010, 03:53 PM
It just depends on ur preference. I like to string my rackets tight around 63lbs, but some people like it at 45lbs. So it all depends what helps ur game and what compliments ur game as well.

Irvin
04-28-2010, 04:38 AM
It just depends on ur preference. I like to string my rackets tight around 63lbs, but some people like it at 45lbs. So it all depends what helps ur game and what compliments ur game as well.

I completely agree but you are not new to the game. How did you determine you liked yours strung tighter. Only by knowing the difference are you going to know what you like. Maybe on different surfaces, altitude, or temperatures you will like to change the tension up a bit.

All I am saying is for a new player stick with the recommendation. If they want it tighter go to the top of the range is they want it softer so to the bottom of the range. When they are trying to dial in what they want make very small 1 or 2 pound changes in tension.

Irvin