PDA

View Full Version : Please help to choose a school to go!

DartMarcus
04-26-2010, 11:49 AM
I have started the college search a bit late, but right now I am considering these:
- Lincoln Memorial University
- University of West Alabama
- Goshen College
- Wright State University
- Weber State University
- Rockhurst University
- University of Saint Francis IL
- Longwood University
What can you tell me about these schools and their tennis programmes? I mean not like only facts from website, but your opinion where you would like to go if there was such a choice.
I am still keeping search though. :)
P.S. to give an idea of my tennis, here is a link to my video: http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkZubov?feature=mhw4
My highest ranking is no.2 in St Petersburg, no.22 in Russia, top 250 in Europe in 16's.

jaggy
04-26-2010, 04:40 PM
My friends son plays soccer at Goshen and loves everything about Goshen, dont know about their tennis at all.

tennis08tarheels
04-27-2010, 05:17 AM
Honestly, I would suggest you check out North Carolina Wesleyan. They are DIII (so no athletic scholarships) but they obviously put together a great financial package for players in need since they bring in several top international players every year. They'll be a national championship contender for a while in Division III and I don't know if this matters to you, but having played against NCW I'm sure there are a few Russians on the team.

Good luck to you, I hope you find the right school!

DartMarcus
04-27-2010, 06:04 AM
Honestly, I would suggest you check out North Carolina Wesleyan. They are DIII (so no athletic scholarships) but they obviously put together a great financial package for players in need since they bring in several top international players every year. They'll be a national championship contender for a while in Division III and I don't know if this matters to you, but having played against NCW I'm sure there are a few Russians on the team.

Good luck to you, I hope you find the right school!

Thanks for info! I will definetely try contacting the coach.
I have just seen their athletics website and it looks like they have a very great diversity on a team: guys from Russia, Turkey, Finland, England, Cameroon, Spain, Sweden, Belarus, Brazil and of course some from the US.
Do you know anything about the schools i mentioned?

tennis08tarheels
04-27-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks for info! I will definetely try contacting the coach.
I have just seen their athletics website and it looks like they have a very great diversity on a team: guys from Russia, Turkey, Finland, England, Cameroon, Spain, Sweden, Belarus, Brazil and of course some from the US.
Do you know anything about the schools i mentioned?

Honestly I don't. I know of Longwood, Weber State and Wright State because they are DI, but any expertise I have lies in DIII. So the other schools I know nothing about, since I guess they're DII or NAIA. But if you're curious about any DIII programs let me know and I'll be glad to help you out!

goran_ace
04-27-2010, 09:07 AM
I played against Wright State once when I was in college. Nothing really special about the place or the program. Conference isn't very strong or deep. Big school where there are a lot of commuters so dorm/campus life will be way different than what you see at a private/Catholic school like Rockhurst.

tennisjon
04-27-2010, 10:03 AM
Please check out the school where I coach, Drew University, in Madison, NJ outside of NYC. We are a D3 school and have won our conference 9 straight years (hopefully 10 this year and go to nationals). We have players from England, Bulgaria, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Israel, China, and next year, Russia as well. We do have a player that has played junior US Open and Orange Bowl on our teams. As long as you have good academics, we put together really good financial aid packages (independent of athletics since we are D3). I am not too familiar with the schools you have mentioned since I am in a different part of the country, but if you need info on schools on the east coast, I can help with that.

DartMarcus
04-27-2010, 10:15 AM
Please check out the school where I coach, Drew University, in Madison, NJ outside of NYC. We are a D3 school and have won our conference 9 straight years (hopefully 10 this year and go to nationals). We have players from England, Bulgaria, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Israel, China, and next year, Russia as well. We do have a player that has played junior US Open and Orange Bowl on our teams. As long as you have good academics, we put together really good financial aid packages (independent of athletics since we are D3). I am not too familiar with the schools you have mentioned since I am in a different part of the country, but if you need info on schools on the east coast, I can help with that.
I am very interested in Drew, can you e-mail me at dart-marcus@hotmail.com?
My TOEFL iBT score is 93 and my SAT scores are: M 690, CR 480, WR 620, my GPA is 4.4 out of 5.
Thanks!

tennisjon
04-27-2010, 07:13 PM
That is great! I will send you an email and have the head coach, Jeff, contact you. Hope to see you in the Fall.

ClarkC
04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
I can tell you that there is no particular academic reputation for Longwood, and they have a small collection of potential majors for your degree compared to most schools. Not sure how much emphasis you are placing on academics.

stanfordtennis alum
05-01-2010, 11:40 AM
be sure to update us of where you end up going to school.. good luck!

DartMarcus
05-01-2010, 11:46 AM
be sure to update us of where you end up going to school.. good luck!

for sure :)
any advice? I see you played for stanford? that's awesome :D
can you advice some good school in california for me?

tennismom42
05-01-2010, 12:30 PM
can you advice some good school in california for me?YOU really need to do your search a different way. You're letting the tail wag the dog. Instead, you should pick a college where you can succeed, + it has a tennis team where you can play. (Ideally, you want to play, not sit on the bench.) Problem with seeking schools by name, is you end up on the bench because everyone else has heard of them too.

I highly recommend that you spend 15 minutes and search for the right college (+ has a tennis team) Use the free college search on www.collegeboard.com.

When you get to the athletics tab, do the advanced search for division 1, division 2, NAIA, etc. Save each of your searches separately. As you go through the tabs, watch the Number on the top right of the screen. It's a "# of matching results." So you don't have to enter data in all the tabs, just get the number down to 20 or less. Then *THAT'S* your list for that division.

stanfordtennis alum
05-01-2010, 01:29 PM
can you advice some good school in california for me?

there are many good schools in california.. it all depends on your level of play, your intended academic major and location you like most.... I have been to some of the campuses in your original post and was not impressed by any means of any of those campuses (LMU in particular)...

If you want to play division 1 and a big school, take a look at Univ of Connecticut.. good school, weak D1 program, go for it!

tennisjon
05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
I very much agree with tennismom. Collegeboard is a great site to work from to search for schools. It does not help with matching tennis levels, but it does help in finding schools that match what you are looking for in terms of size, location, major. From there I would contact coaches. Many schools have finished enrollment for the fall and you have to look for spring enrollment. We still have some slots open at Drew University, but they are almost done for the fall. Good luck with your search.

jgravagna
05-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Drew is a strong school with a good tennis program. If they could get you in this late you should job on the chance.

DartMarcus
07-29-2010, 05:12 AM
Hey again,
I have lost contact with some of these college or they did not have a scholarship to offer me.
I am now choosing of 4 options: University of St.Francis (IL, NAIA), where I have to pay $4,600 per year, Goshen College (IN, NAIA) where I have to pay $8,100 per year, South Carolina State University (SC, D1) where I have a full scholarship and Lincoln Memorial University (TN, D2) where I have to pay 7,000 per year.
What would you choose of these schools?

m4107
07-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Both University of St.Francis (IL, NAIA) and Goshen College (IN, NAIA) have very weak programs. Not sure if you are familiar with the USTA ntrp system, but i would be extremly suprised if any of the players on the Goshen team were above 4.0 (their #1 might be a low 4.5). They are in very weak conferences (even for ******* NAIA standards) yet they still struggle with winning matches. If you care to play decent level of competition, i would not advise you to join either of these teams. However, if you just want to go to a college in US while hitting some balls, then go ahead.

goran_ace
07-29-2010, 07:01 AM
Those are some pretty different schools. Are you aware that South Carolina State is a HBC (historically black college)? Goshen college is a small Mennonite college in Amish country in Indiana and the winters are rough there.

goran_ace
07-29-2010, 07:04 AM
IMHO, don't pick a college based on a tennis program, particulalry since you are not looking at colleges with strong tennis programs. Tennis players are not celebrities on campus and you won't get any special treatment for being one. Research these institutions and go where you think there will be a comfortable place for you in the student body.

alb1
07-29-2010, 12:13 PM
SCSU is having some administration problems.
http://www.wtoc.com/global/story.asp?s=12885131

I know nothing personally about your 4 schools listed, but after looking at them on the internet, I would go to LMU.

thejuice
07-29-2010, 07:25 PM
I know it's late now but check out Emory University in Atlanta, GA. They have a great tennis program and are considered to be one of the Ivy League schools of the South.

Head Youtek
08-01-2010, 05:31 PM
work on your technique a little god,your serve looks like the wta players and your backhand.ughhh.

DartMarcus
08-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks everyone for advies.
Don't want to create another thread but I would like to ask:
Is NLI signed before or after you get I-20? (for international students)

polski
08-08-2010, 10:11 AM
You have some decent skills and a decent resume. You might want to be in contact with some of the schools in the Big South Conference:

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4800&SPID=1996&SPSID=25555