PDA

View Full Version : Found some old string...Help please

CTennis11
04-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Someone I work with found these strings and gave them to me. In the box she gave me there was a catalog for stringing machines that was dated 1985 so I'm thinking they are from around that date. I had a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me with:

1. Would they still be good to use now? I didn't know if strings would go bad, but I couldn't think of any reason they would.

2. Would they be long enough to use in modern rackets? Only a few have lengths on them, but the others look to be a littler smaller. I wasn't sure if they use to put strings in smaller lengths because head sizes were smaller.

3. Does anyone know anything about the string in the single picture? Its a hybrid set. One of the strings seems like a different material.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6031/dsc0234p.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/i/dsc0234p.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9606/dsc0235r.jpg (http://img185.imageshack.us/i/dsc0235r.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Lakers4Life
04-26-2010, 03:10 PM
I wish I had a higher resolution monitor. ;)

25 year old string, the only way to make sure they are still good is to string them and try it.

CTennis11
04-26-2010, 03:54 PM
I wish I had a higher resolution monitor. ;)

25 year old string, the only way to make sure they are still good is to string them and try it.

I apologize for the huge pictures haha. I'm thinking it would still work as I cant think of any reason it would go bad

PBODY99
04-26-2010, 04:40 PM
The Mizuno strings are from the end of Ivan Lendl's playing days the early 1990's, not quite as old as the printed material. They should be in the 36 to 38 ft range. The hy-bird looks like Ashway sny gut(gold) and one of their Composite strings. You can tell by looking at the end of the lighter string and see if it looks like thread.
If they have been kept out of direct light, they will string up, I would stay below 60 lbs. I have strung older solid core than these strings with no problem.

CTennis11
04-26-2010, 04:45 PM
The Mizuno strings are from the end of Ivan Lendl's playing days the early 1990's, not quite as old as the printed material. They should be in the 36 to 38 ft range. The hy-bird looks like Ashway sny gut(gold) and one of their Composite strings. You can tell by looking at the end of the lighter string and see if it looks like thread.
If they have been kept out of direct light, they will string up, I would stay below 60 lbs. I have strung older solid core than these strings with no problem.

Alright thank you very much. They were given to me in a box so I think they have been just stored away some where. I will use some of these and see how they are.

brownbearfalling
04-26-2010, 04:46 PM
In any case they are nylon material (prince tournament nylon) or something like modern synthetic gut strings (psg or head pps).

the white strings in the last picture look like (fabric thread) strings that I have seen in old wood racquets. From what I have seen, it is actual cotton fabric that makes up the strings.

Anyway, I don't think they would be very enjoyable to use but more valuable as memorabilia. To compare the evolution of strings.

Steve Huff
04-27-2010, 06:02 PM
I'd use them. The Mizuno strings look good. I'd love to see how they played. I've strung up 50 yr old natural gut before, so you shouldn't have any problems with any of those strings.

Kick Serve 14
04-27-2010, 06:09 PM
The strings on top in the second picture looks like kevlar, or an aramid string doesn't it?

zapvor
04-27-2010, 10:52 PM
yea i would guess so. string it up man!

Tennis_Man
04-28-2010, 02:43 PM
1. Would they still be good to use now? I didn't know if strings would go bad, but I couldn't think of any reason they would.

They probably wouldnt be as good to use now. But you can still use it, just dont expect anything great. Old strings aren't very good to play with and they might pop ezly.

2. Would they be long enough to use in modern rackets? Only a few have lengths on them, but the others look to be a littler smaller. I wasn't sure if they use to put strings in smaller lengths because head sizes were smaller.

If its 40 ft then ur fine. But from the picture it should look long enough.

3. Does anyone know anything about the string in the single picture? Its a hybrid set. One of the strings seems like a different material.

Thats some pretty weird looking string. it looks like a completely new material. But don't expect too much out of these strings.

Steve Huff
04-28-2010, 05:48 PM
You need about 20' for the mains, probably 17.5' for the crosses, depending on the racket you want to put them in. Old strings are going to play just like they played when they were new (unless they've been sitting in the heat). String them at the tension you normally would. If they break, so what. You didn't pay too much for them anyway. If you don't string your own rackets, take the stringer an extra half set to have on hand just in case they do break. I'm betting they won't. As for the length, you probably have a ruler or yard stick sitting around the house some where. That beats guessing every time.

LPShanet
04-28-2010, 08:06 PM
Someone I work with found these strings and gave them to me. In the box she gave me there was a catalog for stringing machines that was dated 1985 so I'm thinking they are from around that date. I had a few questions that I was hoping someone could help me with:

Other than the hybrid set, they are pretty standard synthetics from that era, which is to say not THAT different from current strings in the same category. They will be comparable to PSG or other synthetic guts/nylons. On to your specific questions:

1. The main thing that can happen to synthetics over time is that they can lose resiliency (i.e. get a little bit brittle). Just like with an old rubber band that you leave lying around, or the elastic in old garments. This is more likely if they are exposed to extreme temperatures, lots of sunlight, or very low humidity (e.g. dry cold winters or lots of A/C). There is still no harm in stringing them up and trying them. The only risk is that they'll be a little brittle and may break a little sooner. The worst that can happen is that you don't like them or they snap, so might as well give it a shot. In many cases, even really old strings play close enough to new ones as to be indistinguishable.

2. You're going to have to be more specific about which racquet. While the average midsize from the era these strings are from may be SLIGHTLY smaller than the average now, many people used oversize racquets then, too, so to say head sizes were smaller then isn't accurate....they just varied more. What racquet are you putting it in? If you're worried about coming up short, just measure the string sets before you install them, and check the requirements for the specific racquet you're stringing. Not too tough.

3. The hybrid in the second picture appears to be an aramid/synthetic hybrid set, so probably comparable to ProBlend or similar. The white string is the aramid, and the yellow probably someone's equivalent of PSG. No, the white one is not cotton!...LOL.