PDA

View Full Version : Weiss Silverstring vs Babolat Hurricane?

West Shore Smashers
04-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Hello,

I'm going to buying a reel of string soon and I need some opinions of these two strings (Weiss Silverstring 18g and Babolat Hurricane 18g)
Which do you feel is the better string and why?

I've been using Hurricane for years and I really like it but the tension drop is pretty quick, plus the Weiss is $60 cheaper.

Thank you very much

ClubHoUno
04-27-2010, 02:23 AM
WeissCannon Silverstring 1.20 is my favorite smooth CoPoly after Luxilon Alu Power at the moment.

I only use smooth CoPolys in the crosses, with nat gut mains, so can't comment on how it will play in the mains.....

Silverstring 1.20 is in my view a better string than the Pro Hurricane in every way possible.

Maybe only softness is where the Pro Hurricane excels. But Silverstring also feels very nice and soft.

My advice: DUMP Pro Hurricane and get a reel of the Silverstring 1.20. It's not Alu Power, but it's one of the best CoPolys available after Alu Power.
Some even prefer it over Alu Power (I don't, but still love Silverstring)

Autodidactic player
04-27-2010, 02:58 AM
I realize that this doesn't answer your question and will probably just complicate your decision making but I think Kirshbaum Pro Line II 18g is the best smooth co-poly and Technifibre Black Code 18g is the best "shaped" co-poly. I like either of these better than your two choices. Of course, my tastes and yours may be completely different. At any rate, if you havenít already settled on one of the two you mentioned, you may want to give either of these a try.

jrod
04-27-2010, 04:24 AM
I used to use PHT in my crosses with gut mains. It was a nice feeling string but it notched the gut mains, leading to their early demise. I really preferred Lux BBO but it died far too quickly (<4 hours), making it very uneconomical for a cross string in a gut hybrid.

So I started looking around for another cross string that had the softness of PHT and played similar to BBO. I had also concluded that it had to be a smooth string to minimize the notching. My search ended with Weiscannon Silverstring. While not quite as responsive as BBO in the first hour of hitting, it retained it's playability characteristics much longer (>16 hours).

I also tried ProLine II and liked it, but not in a gut hybrid. A little to soft and lacking the depth that a poly gives you when you take big cuts. PLII would probably play better in a full bed but it's doubtful it would outperform my gut/WCSS hybrid. Incredible touch and feel, excellent spin, and decent power when summoned. Best and longest lasting hyrbid combo I've found to date. I string @ 55M/53X.

MarrratSafin
04-27-2010, 04:48 AM
Silverstring is a wonderful product. And yes, it beats Pro Hurricane in every possible category.:)

rlee7777
04-27-2010, 06:12 AM
WC Silverstring 1.20mm is one of the best copolys on the market. Crisp, durable, good tension maintenance, easy on the arm, fine control -- this is quality stuff.

jazar
04-27-2010, 07:30 AM
i've not used either the silverstring or pro hurricane is 18g, but i have used both of them in thicker gauges and i prefer the weisscannon. in fact, i think silverstring has been the best poly i've ever tried; its really soft and comfortable and has great control. i find the hurricane has pretty equal control, but its feel and comfort arent quite as nice

Tennis_Crazed
04-27-2010, 12:35 PM
WeissCannon Silverstring 1.20 is my favorite smooth CoPoly after Luxilon Alu Power at the moment.

I only use smooth CoPolys in the crosses, with nat gut mains, so can't comment on how it will play in the mains.....

Silverstring 1.20 is in my view a better string than the Pro Hurricane in every way possible.

Maybe only softness is where the Pro Hurricane excels. But Silverstring also feels very nice and soft.

My advice: DUMP Pro Hurricane and get a reel of the Silverstring 1.20. It's not Alu Power, but it's one of the best CoPolys available after Alu Power.
Some even prefer it over Alu Power (I don't, but still love Silverstring)

Can you give some more detail about silverstring vs alu power?

ClubHoUno
04-28-2010, 03:15 AM
Can you give some more detail about silverstring vs alu power?

I only use poly's in the crosses with VS TEAM nat gut in the mains, so my opinion is based solely on that........

I don't feel Luxilon Alu Power die fast, when I use it in the crosses with VS TEAM nat gut mains.....Or I simply like the feel of a dead Alu Power in the crosses in combination with VS nat gut in the mains.

Alu Power in the crosses provide a stiffer and more controlled feel, while the Silverstring 1.20 maybe because of its thinner gauge also gives me a softer more levely feel.

I use Silverstring in the crosses in my Wilson BLX 95 18X20 racquets because I get more power and liveliness from that string and I use Alu Power in the crosses in my Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT racquets because I get better spin production from the Alu Power in the crosses in combination with the 16x20 string pattern in my Babolat racquets.

I have a reel of both the Alu Power and Silverstring - and so far these two smooth poly's are my favorite poly's in nat gut mains hybrids.

I change strings in 2 racquets every month, so I have enough poly cross strings to last me 2-3 years time :D

pvaudio
04-28-2010, 05:37 AM
Silverstring over Hurricane all the way. I used to only buy sets of Hurricane to re-string with. I own a reel of Silverstring. That pretty much says it all.

decades
04-28-2010, 08:47 AM
there have been advances in string technology in recent years. as such, for all the things that really matter, wcss is a better string than the first/second gen pro hurricane.

jackson vile
04-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Silver string feels great in every way, however if you are using a closed string patter IMO it does not bite like cyber flash or Alu power ect. In my experience PHT bites really well.

However, if you are using an open string pattern then this argument is not relevant

ClubHoUno
04-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Silver string feels great in every way, however if you are using a closed string patter IMO it does not bite like cyber flash or Alu power ect. In my experience PHT bites really well.

However, if you are using an open string pattern then this argument is not relevant

I use a hybrid of VS Team 17 mains and Silverstring 1.20 crosses in my BLX 95 18x20, which has a tight string pattern and I feel I get very good bite from this setup. Alu Power is a superior string in almost all configurations, but I feel the Alu Power works better in my Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT as cross string, and this racquet has a 16x20 string pattern.

I prefer the thinner Silverstring 1.20 as cross string in my BLX 95 with the tighter 18x20 string pattern - so for some reason I feel the opposite as you :)

West Shore Smashers
05-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Thank you for all the responses everyone, they have been very helpful!!!

One more question before I decide:

How is the durability compared to Pro Hurricane? I currently am using 17g PH but it's lasting a bit to long. A friend (who has a similar style of play) used 17g silverstring and it broke in a couple hours. This is a little too quick for me. What can I expect?

Thank you again for your help

Ron Insana
05-02-2010, 02:58 PM
I've tried both and I prefer Hurricane much more. WC was just okay for me, nothing exceptional or remarkable. PH has a unique pocketing aspect and a level of control that I can't find in any of the newer polys. Lux BBO is my distant second favorite--it has a lot of control but in a different way. With any Lux you get phenomenal power and jump off the court but not as much control as PH IMO. PH grabs and holds the ball like nothing else, especially when you string it nice and loose.

ClubHoUno
05-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Thank you for all the responses everyone, they have been very helpful!!!

One more question before I decide:

How is the durability compared to Pro Hurricane? I currently am using 17g PH but it's lasting a bit to long. A friend (who has a similar style of play) used 17g silverstring and it broke in a couple hours. This is a little too quick for me. What can I expect?

Thank you again for your help

Durability is highly subjective, like so much else in life - best thing to do is buy a set of each and then decide how the durability is for you, your playing style, your racquet model and surface/weather conditions.

West Shore Smashers
05-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Durability is highly subjective, like so much else in life - best thing to do is buy a set of each and then decide how the durability is for you, your playing style, your racquet model and surface/weather conditions.

I'll probably do that, thank you