PDA

View Full Version : Help With Hybrid

rschuller
04-27-2010, 08:01 AM
I'm currently using Babolat VS+PHT 17/16
I like the string but the PHT hurts my arm a little due to my fast swing speed.

Can anybody recommend a good hybrid. Price doesn't matter as long as its a good combo.

I want a hybrid with power, feel, and a lot of spin. For the moment I'm trying to stay away from Natural gut and PHT so a good synthetic or multi and a softer co poly would be a good combo I guess.

Any suggestions??

Thanks A lot

David123
04-27-2010, 08:08 AM
try x-1 on crosses.

tray999
04-27-2010, 09:06 AM
I like Gamma's Zo Pro Spin 16 String hybrid.

JT_2eighty
04-27-2010, 11:57 AM

Can anybody recommend a good hybrid. Price doesn't matter as long as its a good combo.

I want a hybrid with power, feel, and a lot of spin. For the moment I'm trying to stay away from Natural gut and PHT so a good synthetic or multi and a softer co poly would be a good combo I guess.

Thanks A lot

Well for one, if you want something that doesn't hurt your arm, it's the poly that needs to go, not the gut. The first gut/poly I ever used was also PHT/VS, and I loved the playability but it also killed my arm due to the PHT. However, realizing that the gut is where the feel and power (and decent spin) comes from, you'd probably be best to do gut mains with a good synthetic that notches the least. I've heard Isospeed Pro is a great cross for gut mains, though I've never tried it.

Otherwise, gut mains and the softest co-poly cross may also work for you, if you also drop the tension 5+ pounds from your current setup. I've had great success with power/feel/spin using gut mains and msv crosses around 45 lbs. (but that still came with some arm discomfort over time... in the end, i've settled on my signature setup, and although it uses kevlar, is more comfy than anything using poly, even poly at 28lbs.)

Start around 52lbs with the gut/co-poly and work your way down to find a good tension. Otherwise, you may need to ditch polys altogether, and find a good synthetic suggestion as crosses.

Tennis_Crazed
04-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Well for one, if you want something that doesn't hurt your arm, it's the poly that needs to go, not the gut. The first gut/poly I ever used was also PHT/VS, and I loved the playability but it also killed my arm due to the PHT. However, realizing that the gut is where the feel and power (and decent spin) comes from, you'd probably be best to do gut mains with a good synthetic that notches the least. I've heard Isospeed Pro is a great cross for gut mains, though I've never tried it.

Otherwise, gut mains and the softest co-poly cross may also work for you, if you also drop the tension 5+ pounds from your current setup. I've had great success with power/feel/spin using gut mains and msv crosses around 45 lbs. (but that still came with some arm discomfort over time... in the end, i've settled on my signature setup, and although it uses kevlar, is more comfy than anything using poly, even poly at 28lbs.)

Start around 52lbs with the gut/co-poly and work your way down to find a good tension. Otherwise, you may need to ditch polys altogether, and find a good synthetic suggestion as crosses.

Agreed - try ditching the poly or giving a softer poly a chance. Hurrican is a pretty stiff string to begin with.

fgs
04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
isospeed professional is a very good multi and i'd think it will blend well with the gut mains. i never tried such a set-up though. i use the isospeed as cross in my standard setup with kirschbaum competition 1.20 mains, strung at 23/22kg in my 106 nblades.
another string which i'm currently testing and like very much is the comfort synthetic from mantis. i've just begun hitting with it and it looks very promising, again with the kirschbaum competition in the mains, also at 23/22.

kiteboard
04-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Gut main, ace 18g or vice versa.

ClubHoUno
04-28-2010, 12:58 AM
If you want a softer feel, place the VS GUT in the mains NOT THE CROSSES!

Then dump Pro Hurricane Tour - it's a stiff poly with poor tension maintenance.

Try a softer smooth poly for the cross strings like WeissCannon Silverstring 1.20 or Signum Pro Hyperion 1.18

String the VS NAT GUT mains 3-4 lbs higher than the poly in the crosses.

Thank me later :D

el sergento
04-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Yup, PHT is a harsh string that really only plays well for about 2hrs.

Topspin Cyberflash is nice and soft while providing good spin, power and feel. I have chronic shoulder problems and use a hybrid of Cyberflash and Gosen OG micro. My shoulder thanks me for it every day.

kato669
04-28-2010, 02:21 PM
I had arm problems last summer after playing with some dead poly...I've been playing since with Gaucho gut 16g mains and just the syn gut du jour (now PSG-D) in the crosses. Has done wonders for my arm rehab. Highly recommend gut mains.

LPShanet
04-28-2010, 07:55 PM

Any suggestions??

Thanks A lot

Are you using the VS gut in the mains or the crosses? I'd recommend using either the VS or a soft multi in the mains, and save the co-poly for the crosses. Some good co-polys to try would be Luxilon Fluoro, M2 or Black Code, all of which are a bit softer than average. Are you wanting to stay away from the VS gut due to cost, or because your arm is hurting? if it's cost, try a good multi (Tecnifibre X-1, TGV or NRG2, or NXT, or Gamma Live Wire, or similar.) But if you're thinking about the fact that your arm already hurts, it's not because of the VS, it's from the PHT. Gut is the most arm-friendly string out there. You might even consider a full gut job if cost really is no object. Your arm will thank you and the power and spin potential are great.