PDA

View Full Version : Help with Pro-Kennex Copper Ace Tie offs

trigger1
04-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Yes quite the old school stick that a friend of mine want restrung (has the original string on it:)). I can not find it on the klipper website. Can anyone tell me; what where to tie-off the crosses and mains what is the recommended tension and where the start knot its. It is currently a one-piece job but will do a two piece. Thanks so much in advance

Standupnfall
04-27-2010, 10:58 AM
I will look for you tonight but if its been strung before it should be easy.

I did one piece the other day and its a 19 cross racquet that ties at the bottom so you need to do modified ATW by skipping the last main on the long side and starting on the second cross, then after the bottom cross you go up on the last main then do the last top cross and tie off on the top of the shortside.

This allows you to string the crosses top to bottom

Hope that helps

Standupnfall
04-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I used 35 feet total and. 9 ft SS.
Strung Mantis Power Synthetic at 55lbs and it feels nice. Would need to know more about him and what he likes to give a better recommendation.
Cant help on 2 piece without seeing the racquet or my digests

If he wants another this one is for sale in the for sale section for $30 shipped

The final tie off on the top will be on the Short Side. the racquet is flipped here since I always do short side on the left.
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/standupnfall/P4251796.jpg

Bottom tie off, same thing here. the bottom tie off is on the short side
http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af80/standupnfall/P4251797.jpg

trigger1
04-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Thanks for you advice. I could do one piece just never have attempted that or ATW let alone "modified". I have only strung 5 racquets now so I am a real newbie. Maybe I can post a pic.

Lakers4Life
04-27-2010, 04:30 PM
From Stringers Digest:
Copper Ace 90
1 Piece length: 33' SS: 8'6"
2 Piece: Not Possible
Tension: 55-68 lbs.
Mains Start: T
Mains Skips: 8T and 8H
Main Tie Off: 6T
Crosses: Start 8T, Last 8H
Cross Tie-Off: 6H

trigger1
04-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks for that exerpt from your digest. Had to laugh at the "not possible" about the two string solution. Not sure why but I guess now is a good time for me to tackle a one-piece. Fewer knots the better right:)

Lakers4Life
04-27-2010, 04:40 PM
I don't know why most people like two piece jobs. Maybe it's because they are trained on old Glide bar machines like the Prince/Ektelon.

Anyhow, I'd prefer a one piece job anytime I can. I don't intentionally try to do an ATW pattern unless it's a Head racket with a 18 mains. Most rackets will allow a throat to head stringing.

trigger1
04-27-2010, 04:53 PM
Since it will be my first time on a one-piece. Which one of YULitle' would you recommend?

Lakers4Life
04-27-2010, 05:50 PM
Standard 1 Piece string job as stated in the Stringers digest. Measure the correct length if stringing from a reel. Then mark off the Short Side (SS). That will be the center of the mains. Last main at 6T to first cross at 8T. Then finish at 8H and tie off at 6H.

Here is YULitle's video for starting mains for a one piece job. http://www.youtube.com/yulitle#p/u/12/sIIWRTGTx1Q

I'm surprised you don't know how to string a one piece, that's usually the first patterns most people learn.

trigger1
04-27-2010, 07:08 PM
I have only completed 5 racquets and started of with my Prince speedports. Guess I am just comfortable with the two-piece because that is where I started. Either way along with your help it will get me going on this alternate method. Thanks again for your help I really appreicate it . Have a great evening and Go Lakers.

Standupnfall
04-27-2010, 07:38 PM
I have only completed 5 racquets and started of with my Prince speedports. Guess I am just comfortable with the two-piece because that is where I started. Either way along with your help it will get me going on this alternate method. Thanks again for your help I really appreicate it . Have a great evening and Go Lakers.

Re-read my post :)

Lakers4Life
04-27-2010, 10:09 PM

I know there are a couple of Prince O3 that require a two piece job, like the EXO3 Rebel.

Irvin
04-28-2010, 03:54 AM
There are four different copper ace rackets:

Copper Ace with grommet strip:
One piece 33' ss 8' 6"
Pattern 16 x 19
Tension 60-70
Start mains at throat
Mains skip 7T, 9T, 8H
Start crosses at 7T
Tie off mains 5T crosses 6H

Copper Ace individual grommets:
One piece 33' ss 8' 6"
Pattern 14 x 19
Tension 58-70
Start mains at throat
Mains skip 7H
Start crosses at 7H
Tie off mains 5H crosses 6T

Copper Ace 90:
Two piece 33' (What's impossible)
Pattern 16 x 19
Tension 55-68
Start mains at throat
Mains skip 8T, 8H
Start crosses at 8T (bottom up)
Tie off mains 6T crosses 7T, 7H

Copper Ace 110:
One piece 36' ss 9'
Pattern 16 x 19
Tension 60-70
Start mains at head
Mains skip 8T, 8H
Start crosses at 8H
Tie off mains 6T crosses 6H

Now what I really find funny is the Copper Ace 90 is strung two piece and the crosses are strung from bottom up.

Reference Stringer's Digest 1988
Irvin

Ambivalent
04-28-2010, 07:04 AM
I never did one piece because it was a hassle to have 20 ft of string hanging around. I also string almost exclusively hybrids though so that may be the reason.

Irvin
04-28-2010, 07:08 AM
I agree the one pictured in the photos should be done two piece because it is he Copper Ace 90.

Irvin

Lakers4Life
04-28-2010, 10:42 AM
Irvin, my Stringers Digest from 2005 lists what I posted earlier. 2 piece not possible. In order for a two piece job, the racket must have 6 tie off holes. His model probably only has 4 tie off holes.

I strung a Head i.S6 last night and it had one of the largest grommet holes. You can almost tie off at any grommet hole you choose, they are all so big.

trigger1
04-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Now I am really confused:

I took pics of what I have (original string) but can not post them yet until I find my darn cable.
The Copper Ace, that I thought what I had ,does not match anything out of the digest. I do not have the racquet with me and do not recall if it is in fact a 16x19. What it is currently set up at is listed in brackets [ ]

From Stringers Digest:
Copper Ace 90
1 Piece length: 33' SS: 8'6"
2 Piece: Not Possible
Tension: 55-68 lbs.............[?]
Mains Start: T
Mains Skips: 8T and 8H
Main Tie Off: 6T
Crosses: Start 8T, Last 8H...[7T AND LAST 6H]
Cross Tie-Off: 6H ...............[5H]

Irvin
04-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Irvin, my Stringers Digest from 2005 lists what I posted earlier. 2 piece not possible. In order for a two piece job, the racket must have 6 tie off holes. His model probably only has 4 tie off holes...

One piece has two tie offs one for each end of the string. Two piece has four tie offs one for each end of both strings. Maybe you meant something else?

Irvin

Lakers4Life
04-28-2010, 04:16 PM
One piece has two tie offs one for each end of the string. Two piece has four tie offs one for each end of both strings. Maybe you meant something else?

Irvin

Most rackets will have 6 possible tie off holes, but you will only use Two in a One piece job and Four on a two piece job. There are a few that have 8 tie off holes, but that is very rare. Because rackets are bi-latterally symentric, except for Prince O3 style rackets. Rackets designed for a one piece job, usually only has 4 tie off hole, though you only use two. That's why Stringers Digest blanks out certain string patterns.

trigger1
04-30-2010, 10:35 AM
So again I am bewildered. I have the copper ace with grommet strip with original strings and it has a 16x20 ( yes I am sure) pattern. I will basically just copy the one piece string job that it already has. But not knowing exactly what racquet it is I think I will just string it at a safe 60 pounds????

Lakers4Life
04-30-2010, 10:47 AM
That's odd, all copper aces are 16x19. Jut mark the mains and the tie offs. Take pictures if you can for reference.

trigger1
04-30-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks so much for your help and confirmation. I have the pics for reference and wanted to load them up on this thread but too much of a hassle.