PDA

View Full Version : golden set tennis strings?

tenniscoach07
04-27-2010, 01:23 PM
has anybody tried these strings and any reviews out there...... you can get a sample pack 9 packets strings for 29.95 plus shipping 6.95 ..... is it worth the 37.00?

Richie Rich
04-27-2010, 01:30 PM
depends what strings they are going to send you.

there was a thread about the strings a while back. try searching and see if you can find it.

a guy i play with uses their multi "velvet" and really likes it. it strings up pretty good, is very soft but does seem to fray a little faster than most other multis. he uses one of their polys in the mains. i've strung numerous frames for him and have had no issues with string breakage, etc.

i don't see golden set strings as being anything different than others that are on the market but try them out and see what you think

Tennis_Crazed
04-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Funny enough I came across and heard about this string from a local high school player who bought a sample pack or something like you're talking about. I think there was 1 string in there that was ok (I'll try to find out next time i see him), and the rest from what I'm told is pretty mediocre.

He was stringing for some of his high school teamates and using it to maximize his profits given its so cheap.

Not that price is an indication of quality, but i guess in this case you get what you pay for.

rj.laroza
04-27-2010, 02:17 PM
i bought the sample pack a couple weeks ago, but have yet to string with it because im still trying out global gut. they are very friendly and great people to purchase from. jeff is usually the one that gets to the phones, and hes a pleasure to talk to. i just bought some of the adidas barricade rackets and i want to get used to them with global gut, before i try out the golden set sample pack. ill let you guys know.

SirSweetSpot
04-27-2010, 02:53 PM
I've always wondered why there weren't more threads about this company considering the INSANELY CHEAP PRICES they offer...especially the bargain you can get for the poly!

Autodidactic player
04-27-2010, 02:57 PM
I have played with their 18 gauge hex poly. For the price I don't think it can be beat. If you are willing spend more to get better performance, however, there are LOTS of better polys. The GS is VERY stiff and VERY dead, almost like Kevlar. Some folks like stiff and dead so that's not necessarily bad; I prefer softer strings with more power potential. The best aspect of the GS hex poly is its spin potential which is terrific - as good as any string I've tried at any price. I recommend that you buy a set. It's only about six dollars a set and definitely worth a try - especially if you provide your own power.

jmjmkim
04-27-2010, 03:01 PM
I tried out the sample pack. Except for the "Classic" which is a tourney Nylon, all the strings were pretty good. The Velvet (I think) was really soft, and I really liked the feel of "Maximal" but this string was kind of costly (as compared to others in the sample pack)

I ended up ordering a Reel of Hex Poly (17g) and Regular Poly (18g) which I am real happy about. The price was excellent, and I will be using these reels for a Loooooooooong time.

SirSweetSpot
04-27-2010, 03:02 PM
I have played with their 18 gauge hex poly. For the price I don't think it can be beat. If you are willing spend more to get better performance, however, there are LOTS of better polys. The GS is VERY stiff and VERY dead, almost like Kevlar. Some folks like stiff and dead so that's not necessarily bad; I prefer softer strings with more power potential. The best aspect of the GS hex poly is its spin potential which is terrific - as good as any string I've tried at any price. I recommend that you buy a set. It's only about six dollars a set and definitely worth a try - especially if you provide your own power.

No elbow issues regarding this incredibly stiff poly?

coolblue123
04-28-2010, 04:11 AM
Was wondering if anyone tried the Maximal or the Velvet? I need to order some, and debating between Golden Set and Pro Supex's (MT and FT Ruff).

Richie Rich
04-28-2010, 05:13 AM
Was wondering if anyone tried the Maximal or the Velvet? I need to order some, and debating between Golden Set and Pro Supex's (MT and FT Ruff).

having strung both for my friend, and seen the durability of the strings, velvet is a better value. but as i mentioned in my earlier post it does seem to fray fairly quickly

Autodidactic player
04-28-2010, 05:21 AM
No elbow issues regarding this incredibly stiff poly?

Not for me. I stopped using it after the test-drive! :)

Bad Dog
04-28-2010, 06:30 AM

I played Golden Set’s Maximal – the (old) Pro Supex Maxim Touch lasted twice as long for me, in the same gauge (17). I don't know if the Maximal early breakage was just a fluke, and I have not played the “new” Maxim Touch yet.

Golden Set’s Velvet is supposed to last longer, but it has polyester in between multifilament layers. One might guess that the internal poly could lessen the feel, but I have not played it.

A_Chong
04-28-2010, 06:53 AM
It's a good deal, I'm just afraid these strings aren't great. But after reading some of the posts, I might consider buying the strings to try.

coolblue123
04-29-2010, 03:23 AM
I played Golden Set’s Maximal – the (old) Pro Supex Maxim Touch lasted twice as long for me, in the same gauge (17). I don't know if the Maximal early breakage was just a fluke, and I have not played the “new” Maxim Touch yet.

Golden Set’s Velvet is supposed to last longer, but it has polyester in between multifilament layers. One might guess that the internal poly could lessen the feel, but I have not played it.

Yeah, I wish they brought back MT in 17. I break FT Ruff 17 about once a month and I have my own stringer, so I want to maximize on playability. With velvet having poly inside, wonder if it will make the string alot stiffer? But my only complaint about MT is that it gets mushy a short time after breaking in.

SLow
04-29-2010, 02:00 PM
I have used various golden set strings in the past when I was looking for a local string company in canada. I would have to say they are compareable to most strings out there.They feel most similar to prosupex strings. Durability wise, maybe slightly worse than average.

I honestly didn't notice much difference between their velvet and maximal. Both feel great as multis.

I still have a few reels of their string laying around. And will definately continue to use their strings in the future. But just recently got a really good deal on prosupex strings so I stocked up on them.

I do really like their overgrip tho.

kcjim
04-30-2010, 02:42 PM
I've tried most of the golden set strings, and really liked the thinner polys. The 17 and 18 gauge round poly's are to my taste excellent. I thought the hex-poly was not as good, however(too soft feeling, didn't seem to bite the ball as well). also, the golden set velvet is great, but at the price there are better strings out there.

Autodidactic player
04-30-2010, 05:22 PM
I've tried most of the golden set strings, ... I thought the hex-poly was not as good, however(too soft feeling, didn't seem to bite the ball as well) ...

Interesting. I found just the opposite! I thought the hex poly played very stiff but had great bite. Just goes to show why the best advice is always try before you buy.

SullivanR
06-15-2010, 10:00 PM
I'm run a small stringing business out of my house and I use alot of Golden Set string for my customers. Most of the string has good quality and a good price. Try out the velvet.

folsfolsfols
07-05-2010, 10:57 PM
I have used various golden set strings in the past when I was looking for a local string company in canada. I would have to say they are compareable to most strings out there.They feel most similar to prosupex strings. Durability wise, maybe slightly worse than average.

I honestly didn't notice much difference between their velvet and maximal. Both feel great as multis.

I still have a few reels of their string laying around. And will definately continue to use their strings in the future. But just recently got a really good deal on prosupex strings so I stocked up on them.

I do really like their overgrip tho.

well does any of their strings play like the pro supex big ace (18 gauge)? (in terms of softness)
which of their poly strings is the softest and could be compared to other better known strings? i would like to buy some golden set polys