PDA

View Full Version : Tournament problem...

Evan
02-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Ok..I'm in the consolation finals of this (http://tournaments.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=21645) tournament, and something really annoying is going on. I was ready to play the final match yesterday...the guy was there, we had a court. He went to the tournament directors and told them he had already played two matches that day, and was too tired to play anymore. So they give me his number and tell me to call him during the week to set up a match time, even though the tournament will be over! I didn't say anything to them...though I should have. So I call the kid last night, and he says he wants to play next week because his arm hurts too bad.

Is this rediculous or what? Doesn't he have to forfeit? I can't just wait till he feels all perfect to play. I'm trying to get in touch with the tournament directors...but it's Mardi Gras here in LA and they are out till Wednesday.

So can someone tell me if this is allowed?

Thanks

Evan

amarone
02-23-2004, 12:34 PM
I think your opponent and the tournament directors were correct in not having to play the match on the day. From the USTA referee rules:

d. 35 through 60 divisions. A player shall not be required to play more than three matches in one day in the same division
(including consolation and doubles). No more than two matches may be singles.
e. 65 through 80 divisions A player shall not be required to play more than two matches in one day in the same division
(including consolation and doubles).
f. 85 through 90 divisions A player should not be required to play more than two matches in a day in the same division. No
more than one match should be singles.
g. All other divisions In tournaments where matches are the best of three tie-break sets, no more than two singles matches per day should be scheduled, including main draw and consolation matches.

When a Set Tie-Break or the Match Tie-Break is lieu of a third set in all matches, no more than three singles matches per day should be scheduled, including main draw and consolation matches.
So unless you were playing a match tie-break in lieu of a third set, two matches a day is the limit.

As for making up the match, I've not found anything in the rules but I have come across tournaments allowing up to seven days to play any matches that could not be played when scheduled (because of rain). Normally, people don't bother with the make-up. I've not come across any match not made up as being a forfeit - they have just gone down as "not played."

Evan
02-23-2004, 01:57 PM
Well that really sucks. I'm not just gonna cancel the match. I *want* the trophey. I think there should be a time limit on when the makeup match is played...and whoever is stalling the match should be the loser.

Thanks for your help!

Evan

rromeo
06-05-2010, 08:36 AM
test post.