PDA

View Full Version : Trouble tying off the last cross

NotEvenSemiPro
04-27-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm new to racket stringing - this is just my second string job - and I'm having trouble threading the string from the last cross back through a grommet so that I can tie it off.

The racket, a Wilson US Open, was (the 6.1 of wal-mart) was previously done with 1 string, I'm using the 2 string method. 16x19 string pattern.

I gone so far as to unstring the last few rows of crosses and so I could ream out/widen a cross grommet. For this I used an awl, then a nail set.

I may just be stuck, but if anyone's got some thoughts, tips or tricks, I sure could use them.

Lakers4Life
04-27-2010, 04:07 PM
Cheap rackets like that were not meant to be strung in a two piece pattern. More or less it's not worth stringing after the string breaks. The string may be worth more than the racket.

I've run into that problem in the past with older rackets. You have to either widen another grommet to tie off to or tie the end off a main tie off (double knot).

NotEvenSemiPro
04-27-2010, 04:27 PM
"More or less it's not worth stringing after the string breaks."

No worries on that; $40 racket, stringing with head synthetic gut I got on sale for $2.50. It's my girl's racket, she's happy with it, and not exactly a tennis fanatic. It's not terrible, honestly, apart from being head heavy, and I was curious what it would be like with new strings.

2 questions about what you said. 1) How do you widen your grommets? I'm not having much success with the awl, while the grommet is still in the frame. 2) I can't really visualize what you mean by tie off a main tie off.

Lakers4Life
04-27-2010, 04:35 PM
"More or less it's not worth stringing after the string breaks."

No worries on that; $40 racket, stringing with head synthetic gut I got on sale for $2.50. It's my girl's racket, she's happy with it, and not exactly a tennis fanatic. It's not terrible, honestly, apart from being head heavy, and I was curious what it would be like with new strings.

2 questions about what you said. 1) How do you widen your grommets? I'm not having much success with the awl, while the grommet is still in the frame. 2) I can't really visualize what you mean by tie off a main tie off.

It's a good practice racket for 1 piece string job. To widen a grommet you'll need a grommet grinder. The second method, is you tie off at the same place a main ties off. Double knot, first knot is the main tie-off and the second is the cross tie-off, both on the same main string. Bascially you are putting three strings in one grommet, two of which are tie-offs.

Steve Huff
04-27-2010, 04:49 PM
You don't need to widen the grommets. It's not that the hole is too small, it's that there is a string blocking the hole. Some manufacturers don't pay much attention to this when they make the grommet strips. The best thing to do is use a piece of scrap string, loop it over the string that's blocking the hole WHILE you are stringing. When you notice that the string will block a hole, put a piece of string on the outside of the frame over the string. This way, when you're doing your crosses and come to the blocked hole, you can physically pull the string sideways just enough to get your cross string between those that are blocking the hole.

YULitle
04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfG-nlb4JxU

Might help.

Lakers4Life
04-27-2010, 05:45 PM
It's not about a grommet hole being blocked. It's about not having an extra tie off hole. Cheaper racket and some older rackets were designed, for a one piece pattern only. Just like some rackets are designed, for a two piece pattern only. Tie off holes are usually twice as big as normal holes.

Either restring using a one piece pattern, or double up on the nearest tie off hole. Since it's not a very expensive racket, it won't that much of a difference.

NotEvenSemiPro
04-27-2010, 06:03 PM
thank you, gentlemen, for your wisdom.

I tried putting it through the hole I used to tie of the main, but I used a bulky knot there, which proved to be quite a block.

Yulite, I'm glad you commented here; your videos were a great help to me in figuring out how to do this whole process. Your trick was very helpful, but didn't solve the problem.

I was intrigued by the grommet grinder idea. I don't have one of those, but I do have a drill. So. the grommet is now wider. I did split the insider tube of the grommet when I did this, however. But, the drilling combined with yulite's trick, and I could pass 2 strings through the hole. Maybe not optimal, but the racket is finished!

thanks again, all the comments were helpful.