PDA

View Full Version : MSV hex vs SPPP

dcsrour
04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
If anyone has used the two a side by side comparison would be appreciated. (Power level, stiffness, tension maintenance, etc)

dcsrour
04-28-2010, 02:02 AM
anyone????????

Snipereyez
04-28-2010, 05:19 AM
Durability / Power / Control / Feel / Comfort / Spin / Tension
===============================================
MSV Hex 1.23
50 42 50 42 40 65 57

SPPP 1.23
60 30 50 40 30 45 70

WeissCannon Turbotwist 1.18
48 50 60 50 50 75 60

My vote goes to WC Turbotwist!!

PROTENNIS63
04-28-2010, 06:35 AM
Power: Poly Plasma
Control: Poly Plasma
Spin: MSV HEX
Tension Maintenance: Poly Plasma
Durability: MSV Hex
Softer: Poly Plasma

HitItHarder
04-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Power: Poly Plasma
Control: Poly Plasma
Spin: MSV HEX
Tension Maintenance: Poly Plasma
Durability: MSV Hex
Softer: Poly Plasma

I agree with this. Plus, I found that I prefer the Hex at a lower tension than the SPPP. I think it was because the Hex played a little more stiff and was lower powered.

But, my personal experience is that I don't think either are particularly arm friendly (as most poly aren't). So be aware that while SPPP is "softer" than Hex, that doesn't mean either are particularly "soft" co-polys (especially if you string above mid-tension levels).

Also, while the feel was better with the SPPP, I noticed I was able to generate heavier balls (spin) with the Hex. Especially since the durability of HEX 1.10 was essentially the same as SPPP 17.

SPPP is definately better with tension maintenance. But since I string my own racquets and reels of Hex are pretty cheap, I was ok with just stringing more often in exchage for the heavier ball.

However, here lately I have been playing full set ups of TurboTwist 1.18 and I think it is superior to SPPP and Hex. While there was a small drop off in the spin for Hex, it is a lot better in every other area. Of course it costs a bit more too so there are trade offs with everything.

retlod
04-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I agree with this. Plus, I found that I prefer the Hex at a lower tension than the SPPP. I think it was because the Hex played a little more stiff and was lower powered.

But, my personal experience is that I don't think either are particularly arm friendly (as most poly aren't). So be aware that while SPPP is "softer" than Hex, that doesn't mean either are particularly "soft" co-polys (especially if you string above mid-tension levels).

Also, while the feel was better with the SPPP, I noticed I was able to generate heavier balls (spin) with the Hex. Especially since the durability of HEX 1.10 was essentially the same as SPPP 17.

SPPP is definately better with tension maintenance. But since I string my own racquets and reels of Hex are pretty cheap, I was ok with just stringing more often in exchage for the heavier ball.

However, here lately I have been playing full set ups of TurboTwist 1.18 and I think it is superior to SPPP and Hex. While there was a small drop off in the spin for Hex, it is a lot better in every other area. Of course it costs a bit more too so there are trade offs with everything.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

big bang
04-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I dont really like plasma, but Hex 1.10 was such a nice surprise, great power and control, when strung around 50 lbs it plays nice and soft and the spin is just mad:twisted:

Visene77
04-28-2010, 05:40 PM
night/day

Just flat out unrelated string types.

David123
04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
hmm i played with the SPPP. Pretty good string for me. I play with the ksixone 95 and really liked it til i found something better :)

logicflawed
04-29-2010, 12:04 AM
i just switched from bb alu rough and pht hybrids to a full stringbed of msv. i've only had a few days on it, but it plays pretty nice right off the bat. im used to a little drop off as the stringjob settles in. very comfortable after 4 consecutive days of hitting, no arm/shouler pain. i'm excited to see how it holds up after about a month, that is if i don't break them ;)

slick
04-29-2010, 05:30 AM
I have reels of SPPP and MSV Focus Hex. They are both great strings but I like the MSV better.

Plus you get get MSV in several colors (I like black). SPPP only comes in orange which looks crappy in some racquets.

10ACE
04-30-2010, 06:01 AM
I would like to try a new twisted string, I use MSV HEX 1.10 at 55, and I like it but find it going dead after 3 matches if I am lucky.

That's not a main reason for switching I just would like to try a string with a lot of bight like HEX offers.

SPPP, WC Turbotwsit, Black Code-- I mean a reel of Turbotwist=$135 MSVHEX=$77,

Worth trying those?

Autodidactic player
04-30-2010, 06:14 AM
I would like to try a new twisted string, I use MSV HEX 1.10 at 55, and I like it but find it going dead after 3 matches if I am lucky.

That's not a main reason for switching I just would like to try a string with a lot of bight like HEX offers.

Worth trying those?

I'm a big fan of Black Code mains in a hybrid with Gamma Pro 18g crosses - so much so that I bought a reel of 18g. I find it softer than any other poly I have tried, it has good (not great) power potential and for me the spin is excellent (i'm 52 years old and use an eastern forehand so spin is important but not like it is for the kids with the deep western grips). Others have posted that they were not fond of Black Code (or Gamma Pro for that matter) which just goes to show how individual string selection is. The best advice I can give is try a set. Good luck.

HitItHarder
04-30-2010, 06:18 AM

Worth trying those?

If you are ok with the tension maintenance of HEX, try MSV Heptatwist 1.15. It plays very similar to Hex. Has a very similar bite (in fact early on you may even feel like you are getting more spin potential than the Hex 1.10).

For me they played so simliar I just decided to stick with the Hex, but it is definately worth a try if you like the MSV strings.

SP Tornado is also a good twisted string to try, but it is expensive. Also seemed a little more high powered than the Heptatwist.

WC Turbotwist doesn't have the noticable ridges of Heptatwist and Tornado, so it is hard to tell it even has a twisted construction. Definately others out there that go farther in that direction. But it does have a slight twisted construction and it is a good quality co-poly with good all around playability. I like it because I can use it in a full bed a still get good comfort out of it.

kiteboard
04-30-2010, 06:24 AM
Durability / Power / Control / Feel / Comfort / Spin / Tension
===============================================
MSV Hex 1.23
50 42 50 42 40 65 57

SPPP 1.23
60 30 50 40 30 45 70

WeissCannon Turbotwist 1.18
48 50 60 50 50 75 60

My vote goes to WC Turbotwist!!

LIsten to this guy. I found sppp to have better tension loss than turbo.

dcsrour
05-02-2010, 10:49 AM
I have been playing with lux ace 18 just finished my reel (hybird with syn gut) and love the stuff but it only lasts 1 1/2 hrs. I tried MSV but no where near the same playability. Now will try SPPP...are SPPP and lux ace have any similarities or am i barking up the wrong tree?

hoodjem
05-02-2010, 12:12 PM
To me SPPP was dull, lifeless, and muted.

MSV HEX 1.10 felt crisp, with lots of feedback (for a poly), and very good spin. IMO one of the best polys.

No contest IMO--MSV Hex all the way!

DennisK
05-03-2010, 02:25 AM
I am of the other opinion that Focus Hex is just complete garbage.

No feel, no power. Very harsh. Felt like it had no life at all with an unpleasant 'plastic' feel. Hated it.

SPPP on other hand, i really like. It goes most things well and its my standard 'go to' poly.

Autodidactic player
05-03-2010, 02:39 AM

MSV HEX felt crisp, with lots of feedback (for a poly), and very good spin.

No feel, no power. Very harsh. Felt like it had no life at all with an unpleasant 'plastic' feel. Hated it.

SPPP on other hand, i really like. It goes most things well and its my standard 'go to' poly.

I love back to back posts like these. Just goes to show why there are hundreds of different strings made with new ones added each day. Different strokes for different folks - literally!! :)

10ACE
05-03-2010, 08:55 AM

MSV HEX felt crisp, with lots of feedback (for a poly), and very good spin.

I agree MSV HEX offers so much as a string- at a low 1.10 gauge the feel is fantastic, and I have had so many people pull up on a stroke close to the baseline attempt to call it out, then mutter something- and call it in, you can literally drop the ball from the sky.

Power- it's all there

Uvijek Argen
05-03-2010, 09:10 AM

Agree with you in this 100%...cant even explain it better. Did it in a Hybrid in the mains with multi in the crosses @ 43/48 (Yonex rds001 MP) and it bring back a old tennis elbow I had 2 month ago. Change to Genesis Typhoon hybrid, same tension and its a great string.....

About Focus Hex I dedicate a Public Enemy song...."don't believe the hype":)

PS I have half of a set of that MSV and dont know what to do with it cause I wont use it, and not a single person that I play with want it...wish somebody can trade it with me for a Multi that I never use to try it.

blackfrido
05-03-2010, 03:22 PM

I agree with PROTENNIS also with you especially about stringing Hex lower that SSPP.
I've never tried turbotwist!