PDA

View Full Version : Signum Pro Hyperion 1.24mm Review

kashgotmoney
04-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I just strung this string up in my Head Microgel Prestige Midplus @ 54 lbs. My racket is customized to 12.1 ounces. As far as my playing style goes, I am a #1 Varsity Singles Player for my HS and I am a All Courter. I love being agressive from the baseline.

STRINGING:
I string this poly up in my mgpmp and it did not kink easily at all. It was an easy poly to string. The string was not very elastic. Weaving was average for polys, it took me 25 minutes to string my racquet on a constant pull Machine.

GROUNDSTROKES:
Spin was very easy to generate and I loved the consistent feel I had from it. It had great pocketing and the string bed wasn't too firm. Compared to my last setup which was pht 17 @ 54, this string had more control, feel and comfort on groundstrokes, just wish it had a tad bit more power and spin capability.

VOLLEYS:
Very crisp and controlled response. I played a 3 set doubles match today because I am playing doubles in the league tournament tomorrow planning on going to north coast sectionals. During my doubles play, i had a very comfortable and crisp response and it had enough power to put the ball away, not too firm.

SERVES:
This string truly shined on first serves, Comfortable and lots of controlled power. Everytime my doubles partner signaled me where to serve, i hit my first serve there 70% of the time. Very satisfied.

TENSION:
I had a pretty good day in my tournament today. I played again with the hyperion for the 2nd day and no noticeable tension loss. Above average for a poly.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
After my doubles match, I rallied with a 5.0 rated male and I was very comfortable with the strings. Lots of control and no pain at all. Was having rallies of 20+ shots hitting hard and I can really rip the balls hard with spin. There were shots at my ankles that I hit as hard as i could with spin and it landed in. The tension has held up great so far and I will comment on tension tomorrow again after my tournament.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/130/headpresitge.jpg

David123
04-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Good luck! I loved this string! However i tried it with NRG2 crosses. I don't really like full bed polys anymore. I also tried Blackcode mains with NRG2 crosses at 58lbs and 62lbs didn't really like it, still too much power compared to teh hyperion and nrg2 crosses which has wicked pop.

kashgotmoney
04-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Review posted

David123
04-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Review posted

String sounded like my experience :P what string did you use before?

kashgotmoney
04-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Before I was using Kirschbaum Pro Line II 17 @ 54 and PHT 17 @ 54. I string all my polys at 54 and they are 17 gauge mostly. So far, this is my favorite poly. I have tried over 20 polys and this is my fave :)

Consigliere73
04-29-2010, 02:27 AM
It's funny how people attribute so much of their ability to a particular string.

fgs
04-29-2010, 02:41 AM
it's true - i currently have a string in my racquet i definitely don't like (msv focus-evo 1.25), but i'm still playing a decent ball. i adjusted to the string and play it till it breaks. i'm just curious to find out how long it lasts and when it dies. it's not hurting my arm so i'm just going through it, knowing that i won't buy it again, not even in 1.20, because the general characteristics don't fit me. but, i'm still playing a decent ball.

Mig1NC
04-29-2010, 03:32 AM
How "slick" would you rate the surface of the string?

Did your machine have any issues gripping it?

David123
04-29-2010, 07:14 AM
yeah it was actaully pretty slippery string when i strung it.

kashgotmoney
04-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Well when i strung it, i had no slippage in the clamps. I know that Head syn gut pps has a problem with slipping but this is actually very good. And to the poster a few posts above, i also play with anything till it breaks or is unplayable. i just have o adjust but i like some strings more than others

kashgotmoney
04-29-2010, 09:44 PM
The review has been edited after i played with it for the second day today

fgs
04-29-2010, 10:29 PM
kashgotmoney,
i didn't mean to offend you and if i did i appologize. i commented on "consiglieres" post stating that people (generally i understood this and not related to you - maybe "consigliere" meant it differently than i understood) tend to attribute too much of their ability to a certain string. i my reading of this (i'm not a native speaker) a lot of people rather tend to say
"i can't play with this string"
than
"i don't like to play with this string".
while the first and most often heard sentence is basically wrong, as you also agree with - you (and i) adjust to the string and go on with our game until it breaks and say that we don't like the string, which is perfectly legitimate, a lot of others tend to say that they can't play with it a particular string.
this was my reading and understanding of "consigliere's" comment. i once again apologize if i offended you, it definitely was not meant that way. on the contrary i'm rather interested in your findings regarding the hyperion string, which i haven't played so far and eventually will test myself.

stician
04-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Is the Tornado basically a Hyperion shaped and twisted? I'm trying out Tornado and noticed within 2 hours the edges smooth over and I have shiny round strings :)

Gugafan
04-30-2010, 05:48 PM
I have currently strung my AG200 with Hyperion 1.24mm and the first day it felt way too stiff even at 50 lbs!!. I would highly recommend stringing this alot lower if your going to use full poly.

Spin production was what I loved about this string. You can really get the ball to bite off the strings, and I was rarely hitting long. Certainly agree with the OP, that it's abit underpowered which meant I had to really focus on consistently hitting deep with spin during rallies. Hopefully I will hit tomorrow to see if the tension is holding up, and perhaps it may play abit more lively now that I have broken in the string.

Tennis_Crazed
04-30-2010, 07:21 PM
Can you please compare this to the helix?

kashgotmoney
05-03-2010, 10:35 PM
well i haven't tried helix out and dont plan on it. the way i see it is that most textured polys lose their texture after a day or two. Im trying to find a poly that plays consistent from start to finish and good power.

fgs
05-04-2010, 06:37 AM
for the time being i get good power and consistent 8 hitting hours out of kirschbaum competition 1.20. i started testing the mantis power poly and first impressions are very good too - i can't say much about tension maintenance for the time being though, as i only got some two hitting hours on that frame.

genius24
05-04-2010, 07:13 AM
"As far as my playing style goes, I am a #1 Varsity Singles Player for my HS..."

thought this was hilarious. nice mini brag hidden in the post. lol.

genius24
05-04-2010, 07:14 AM
nice review btw. not being sarcastic either.

Racer41c
05-04-2010, 11:14 PM
"As far as my playing style goes, I am a #1 Varsity Singles Player for my HS..."

thought this was hilarious. nice mini brag hidden in the post. lol.

Wow, that's got to be the funniest post ever ! getting called out by a person with a scree name of genius:)

Racer41c
05-04-2010, 11:15 PM
By the way Kash, have you tried SPPP? and how does Hyperion compare?

Sizz
05-05-2010, 06:32 AM
By the way Kash, have you tried SPPP? and how does Hyperion compare?

Curious also. The review sounds like how I would rate SPPP, my current string of choice.

kashgotmoney
05-06-2010, 10:31 PM
I am trying to figure out what poly to try next. i have tried sppp but not the pure. i want something with more control and great tension. mainly great tension. i will review the string i decide to try. maybe a hybrid. any reccomendations

kashgotmoney
05-06-2010, 11:01 PM
I have decided that my next review will be MSV focus hex 1.18 white @ 54 lbs. it should be up in the next week... :) i normally dont go for shaped polys but i have heard lots of good things about it so why not for once

pgrimmitt
05-22-2010, 10:11 PM
i tried the hyperion but it was strung just a little too tight. I played pretty well with it, but I wasnt about to hit drop/touch shots with it. Other than that, the tension maintainance was great, spin potential was great, serves were good, doesnt move. Hurt the arm a little bit. But it was very predictable.. control was great. Great string. but I am onto other strings at the moment, kirschbaum comp, and focus hex. I may make my way back to it one day, but it doesnt look like it will be in the near future.