PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gut Gurus help me out

aangstman01
04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Okay, i recently ordered a half set of titan 17g natty (yes i know its not the highest of quality but i want to see if i like natural gut before dropping big money on it). my question is how should i go about using it i.e. crosses or mains and with what? I have heard gut/lux is a pretty sick combo and i have some lux adrenaline, but my inclination is that i would want to use gut in the mains for the playability of it. And i think gut would be a good cross for lux to soften it up, but then i feel i wont benefit that much from the gut. So would i be stupid to put lux in the crosses? Or i also have free sample of typhoon, nrg2, pro line 2, focus hex, og sheep, or simple syn gut. What should i do to feel the benefits of the natural gut the most?

Standupnfall
04-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Use the gut in the mains and Og sheep micro in the crosses at about the same tension or 1-2 pounds lower than the gut mains if you want to get a good feel for the gut. Poly will die before gut and it will make it stiff and less gut like.

I like to string gut at around 61 but if you are a new stringer using lesser gut I would keep it below 58 as to not pop it during stringing.

Using it as mains will give it much less wear during stringing then when stringing crosses. Make sure you fan your crosses and don't kink the gut at all. Be very careful, don't hook it on anything, don't step on it and take your time and it should go well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Post pics of the string if you can too.
Thanks

aangstman01
04-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Awesome, i will give it a go, i wont be stringing it myself, but one more thing, should i string mains and crosses at same tension?

...Because i string poly mains 2 lbs lower, but im assuming thats more of the poly rule of thumb correct?..

Valjean
04-28-2010, 01:21 PM
You won't string it yourself, and it's a cheaper gut too. Well, good luck, but don't even base much on the play experience.

Standupnfall
04-28-2010, 01:35 PM
not knowing who your stringer is and not saying anything bad about them but Im betting 60% chance it breaks before you get it.

Make sure they are not your average sport shop and take real care in there stringing and are experienced with gut or you will be out of luck.

kato669
04-28-2010, 01:45 PM
Awesome, i will give it a go, i wont be stringing it myself, but one more thing, should i string mains and crosses at same tension?

...Because i string poly mains 2 lbs lower, but im assuming thats more of the poly rule of thumb correct?..

I would string the gut 2-3lbs more than the gosen/syn gut. The softer string (gut) should be tighter than the stiffer of the two (which is the gosen, but gosen is fairly soft by default). Plus the gut is going to have more resilency and power so you'll want it a bit tighter to control it.

aangstman01
04-28-2010, 02:02 PM
yeah my stringer is experienced with gut and the shop is specifically a racket stringing shop, and he's a USRSA member as well and has been doing it since 1988, so im sure he'll handle it.

Valjean
04-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Um, son--well, how much Titan do they do then...

Carlito
04-28-2010, 02:12 PM
I used to use gut as a cross string and realized it is a waste of money. Don't get me wrong, its slightly better and holds the tension better. But its not worth the extra $25 compared to a good cross like Maxim or NRG2.

kato669
04-28-2010, 02:13 PM
yeah my stringer is experienced with gut and the shop is specifically a racket stringing shop, and he's a USRSA member as well and has been doing it since 1988, so im sure he'll handle it.

But are they experience with low-end gut? :)

By the way, what is the tension limit, if any on the Titan gut? I looked at the listing on TW but I don't recall if there was a tension limit

kato669
04-28-2010, 02:26 PM
I used to use gut as a cross string and realized it is a waste of money. Don't get me wrong, its slightly better and holds the tension better. But its not worth the extra $25 compared to a good cross like Maxim or NRG2.

Unless you're a pro like Fed who guts Lux and natty gut by the truckload for free, putting gut in the crosses is poor use of gut. Most of the feel and power comes from the mains and imho it belongs there.

aangstman01
04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
okay, well it has no tension limit listed, and good point about the stringers experience with low end gut, but it is just a 10 dollar half set of gut so if it does break on them im only out 10 bucks, and i completely agree with the idea of putting it in the mains, the mains are 80% of playability from the strings, and yeah lux and gut are spendy so why bother putting it in the crosses, which was my gut (no pun intended) feeling

scotus
04-28-2010, 03:29 PM
Unless you're a pro like Fed who guts Lux and natty gut by the truckload for free, putting gut in the crosses is poor use of gut. Most of the feel and power comes from the mains and imho it belongs there.

But even Fed uses gut in the mains. :)

kato669
04-28-2010, 03:33 PM
okay, well it has no tension limit listed, and good point about the stringers experience with low end gut, but it is just a 10 dollar half set of gut so if it does break on them im only out 10 bucks, and i completely agree with the idea of putting it in the mains, the mains are 80% of playability from the strings, and yeah lux and gut are spendy so why bother putting it in the crosses, which was my gut (no pun intended) feeling

With gut (low end gut especially) tell them to be careful with pulling and tying the knots. Some of the breakage with the lower tier gut I use (Gaucho) happens around this area especially. Good luck, you'll like gut (no matter who made it) nothing compares to it.

aangstman01
04-28-2010, 04:00 PM
okay i'll be sure to include that...thank you

Visene77
04-28-2010, 05:23 PM
If you are testing the waters to see if you like gut....half set of cheap gut isn't going to be a good standard to base your decision on. It's like test driving a VW and deciding if you would like a Porsche.

My suggestion would be to try out a full bed of a mid range gut like Pacific........so you know what gut is supposed to feel like. Mixing it with syns and polys in your first experience introduces way too many variables....you won't know exactly what you like or don't like.

If you like the gut but it's too powerful or whatever......THEN add a poly or syn. Tweak it AFTER you know what its true characteristics are.

gameboy
04-29-2010, 10:18 AM
I use a hybrid of Global Gut main and Luxilon Adrenaline in the crosses.

I am really liking it as it dampens some of the trampoline effect while providing good feel and comfort with very good spin production. All at a very reasonable price.

The combination is lasting pretty long for me as well.

Big_Dangerous
04-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Actually no one gets Lux for free, they won't pay players to use it, or give out their strings to even pro players for free. Everyone has to pay for it.

Pwned
04-29-2010, 04:23 PM
If you are testing the waters to see if you like gut....half set of cheap gut isn't going to be a good standard to base your decision on. It's like test driving a VW and deciding if you would like a Porsche.

My suggestion would be to try out a full bed of a mid range gut like Pacific........so you know what gut is supposed to feel like. Mixing it with syns and polys in your first experience introduces way too many variables....you won't know exactly what you like or don't like.

If you like the gut but it's too powerful or whatever......THEN add a poly or syn. Tweak it AFTER you know what its true characteristics are.

Pfft no way. It'd be like driving a boxter to decide if you would like a Porsche.

Visene77
04-29-2010, 04:49 PM
you are correct......my comparison was too close.....

Pwned
04-29-2010, 04:51 PM
you are correct......my comparison was too close.....

:mrgreen: Boxter drivers wont like that.